Shadow Lawn Inn
Rothesay Motel(Rothesay)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsshadow lawnmy husband and icontinental breakfastsaint johnthe ownerold houseroom was largeno elevatorcomfortable bedthe entire staffchowderworld classmany timesvisiting the areastayed latehard boiled eggslovely place
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family of four has just returned from our vacation on the East Coast and I simply had to take the time to write a review for this delightful Inn. We arrived late evening with two small children (5 & 3) and the owners greeted us by name. Our very spacious, comfortable apartment was a welcome sight after a very long day of traveling. We set down our bags and decided to check out the restaurant for dinner options. The meal was amazing. It seems that most of the menu has food that is locally sourced, so everything was fresh and delicious. The staff was very attentive and made us (including our kids) feel very welcome and at home.

We left for a few days to do some sightseeing and then returned to the Inn for my brother's wedding rehearsal. We checked in to a new room and were pleased to see that we were in a newly renovated room. The decor was perfect for this Victorian style Inn, with beautiful, high ceilings and era-appropriate fixtures . Such a refreshing change from a typical hotel room. Our girls commented that it felt like staying in a castle. High praise from the preschool crowd!

We ended up eating most of our meals at the Inn over the next few days as we were busy preparing for a family wedding. The quality of food and the over-the-top service was amazing. I only mentioned our daughter's nut allergy once and they confirmed with us each time that our meals were nut free. We also found the value for dollar was excellent. Perhaps it a regional thing, but we would expect to pay far more for the meals that we received.

I called the Inn about a month prior to arriving, to ask about childcare options. We needed someone to watch our children while we stayed late at the wedding reception. The owner, Jamie suggested that he could source a qualified person to help us out. Indeed he did! He let us use his own family's childcare provider. We were very pleased with the young lady that watched our children and felt very confident leaving our girls with her.

Staying at Shadow Lawn was truly one of the highlights of our trip (aside from the perfect wedding we attended!). We have traveled extensively - and this spot is really just one of those places that has it all. The owners, Jamie and Mary Ann have done a terrific job creating such a welcoming and lovely place.

Special thanks to Nancy and Travis for their excellent service. Our kids thank you both for bringing them extra soda bread (which they insist I learn how to make!)

Thank you for your kindness and hospitality. We hope to return!

Room Tip: The bed in Room # 4 was like sleeping on a cloud! Heavenly!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JetsetCanuks
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I re-visited Shadow Lawn to see what it was like in summer (my winter visit was so positive). It was even better. Several of the rooms have been redecorated, and the grounds in summer are lovely. The food also was divine. This inn should not be missed if you are travelling in the Saint John area and want a beautiful, quiet place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, but two are outstanding - large, newly decorated, just lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The Inn is comfortable and the renovated rooms are a treat. What a pleasant oasis. We had two meals in the dining room and both were superb.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I visited Shadow Lawn for the first time this week - business traveller. Upon arrival, after driving thru some nasty weather, I asked for, and received, a nice cup of tea. This set the tone for the rest of the stay. Very good service, excellent food, and a very comfortable room on a cold winter night. I look forward to returning there again.

Room Tip: I was told that I had one of the 'larger rooms', so am unsure of the size of the others. But the service and food are still going to be GREAT!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This elegant hotel is on one of the main roads in Rothesay. Access to the hotel is very easy, with ample parking places, and the hotel and gardens are well kept up. The restaurant is wonderful and the food was delicious. The rooms are large by European standards and well furnished. The service is good and the hotel in a quiet location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple