Had a lovely stay at Orquidea. The facility was beautiful/stunning. The views from the infinity pool (spotless!) to the ocean were more than amazing. We loved our rooms, the breakfasts, gorgeous pool, and tranquility. The beach is so close and you have it all to yourselves. Just be careful with your things- another couple that was there had the contents of their beach bag stolen while they were in the ocean. Robert kindly arranged for us to rent surfboards during our stay and even graciously drove us to the beach with our boards a couple of times.
In general, we were really pleased with our stay. I think the only comment I have is that we really feel like it was too steep of a price ($220 USD/night over Christmas holidays) for what you get. We felt nickle and dimed that they on the one hand invited us to spend Christmas dinner with their family, but then charged us for individual glasses of wine and then charged us for a meal that I could only eat the side dishes for (I'm vegetarian). If the $220 had included meals, then I would have had lower expectations and been completely pleased by the experience, food, and service. But the meals were extra, and their quality was very hit or miss. One night was amazing ceviche and amazing deserts, other night it was buttered noodles with shrimp that were tough and had clearly been frozen.
Communication also was not entirely clear- on one hand we were told we didn't need a 4x4 to get to the hotel, but on the other hand, we would have appreciated knowing how rough and challenging the road into the hotel was ahead of time (we ended up getting a flat tire because of the rocky road). We also had no idea before we arrived that they had cooked dinner for us the first night, otherwise we would have arrived earlier in the day. Again, just some open communication would have been nice. The staff were generally good, although for the price, I'd appreciate if someone could swing by the pool where we were hanging out maybe once a day and ask if I needed anything. Or help the older gentleman staying at the hotel carry his bag up the steep stairs out of the hotel. However, these are all small service related things that were missed, and overall I would recommend this hotel if you can negotiate the price down to something more reasonable. I'm told the Nicaraguans always negotiate the price down- wish I had known that ahead of time!
My last comments is about their very sad "pet" white faced Capuchin monkey who is kept in a cage on the grounds. It was pretty heart breaking to see this wonderful animal, known to live in large social groups, locked into solitary confinement in a cement floored cage, alone. Please send him to a wildlife refuge/rehabilitation center or someplace where people know how to house primates and use them for education!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hola and welcome to Orquidea del Sur, your private villa south of San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Overlooking the renowned surf break at Playa Yankee, Orquidea del Sur commands a 180 degree view of the Pacific Ocean that is every bit as breathtaking as you would hope. We promise. With over 8000 square feet of living space, spectacular gardens, and two award winning swimming pools, the villa has everything you expect from a luxury vacation rental. The manicured gardens are filled with flowers, visited by all sorts of tropical birds including parakeets and toucans, and even monkeys stop by. Prepare your meals under cathedral ceilings in the fully appointed gourmet kitchen and enjoy them in one of several dining areas throughout the property. One of our favourite spots is on the patio overlooking the pool at sunset. After the sun goes down, you can retire to the house for a game of pool or simply relax with one of the books from the library. Each of the three bedrooms has a spectacular ocean view and large ensuite bathroom. With its own living area and balcony, you may never want to leave the 1000 square foot master bedroom or its large soaker bathtub. Should you require extra space, there are also 4 apartments available at a small additional cost. Sorry, the apartments can only be rented in conjunction with the main house and are not available for separate rental. Whatever you decide to do with your time here, you'll be doing it in a truly one of a kind setting. Orquidea del Sur has been a labour of love for us and we look forward to sharing it with you, our guests. Enjoy. Robert and Joanne - Owners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Orquidea del Sur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orquidea Del Sur Hotel Playa Yankee
- Orquidea Del Sur Nicaragua/Playa Yankee