“One of the best meals I ever had!”

Harry's Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Bridgend
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were there a couple of days ago, after visiting the fort Grianan of Aileach. The staff were very friendly, and explained to us that all their vegetables, meat and fish come from their garden and local producers. My husband and I both had fish, and it was absolutely delicious! My dish (hake) came with a hollandaise sauce and spinach, and I must say I never had spinach that tasted so good! The menu is reasonably priced and the quality excellent - highly recommended!

1  Thank Fairyberry

Reviewed March 18, 2014

There is little to fault at Harry's. The menu reflects what's in season and you get innovative food that uses the best of local produce.

I had the vegetable tarte tatin which was packed full of flavour. It was brimming with lovely veg - carrots, cauli brocolli and I think artichoke (being more used to it in a jar I'm not sure). Having watched lots of the Great British bake off recently, I am pleased to report that the pastry didn't have a soggy bottom, and was lovely and crisp!! The side was potatoes dauphinoise, which was full of garlicky gorgeousness.

Dessert was a lemon possett, which was a zingy, creamy delight.

The only thing I can mark down was atmosphere, but it was late on a Thursday so there wasn't a great crowd in but staff were really cheery and put us in a good mood before we had even taken a bite of food.

I also stocked up on their cranberry relish, which is livening up my sambos from now on!

If you're in Derry or Inishowen, a must for a meal.

1  Thank dubview
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Right i have literally just left harrys where me and my girlfriend went both craving fish weirdly as it sounds. My mind was made up before going in if they didnt serve a nice choice of fish then we would just leave. Well we were imediately greeted inside the door by the manager donal, and he recognised my partner from a job they were based on a few months previous which i thought was quite nice and added a personal factor.... We were then allowed to sit where we like and were given plenty of time to think of what we wanted in this time the waitor (not sure of his name) brought us complimentary bread and water and had a really nice bubbly attitude towards us without being too aww jesus just be quiet and leave us alone! Ive rated everything a 5 apart from the atmosphere partly because we were in at bout 18:30 on a monday and there was only about 3 tables in action.... The waitor pleasantly suprised a few times how he was able to treat each of his tables differently ... He was able to laugh and joke with us aswel as remaining completely proffessional without being cocky ... Then a family with 2 young kids came in and they seemed quite hyper active, the waitor again interacted with them making conversation and offered to bring them drawings and paper to colour in ... This i thought was a nice personal touch ... I feel like i need to apologise because i had a memory of harrys in my head from about 6-7 years ago from when i was last in there ... I remember it being basic but always full and buzzing ... And in recent years it always seemed quiet wen i was passing so i came to the assuption it dropped in standard ... I can happily say i was pleasantly suprised and will DEFINITLY be returning ... Top quality from start to finish !

1  Thank Lquinn79696
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Great service - giving us time to finish our meeting followed by great food. An interesting selection with a twist. The fish and chips were top notch.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Although I live in London I love visiting Harry's bar Bridgend -not the posh namesake in Mayfair.The staff are always friendly ,warm and very hospitable and witty.They always go out of their way to excel. My daughter loved the wheaten bread and the very attentive waiter informed us it was made of guinness and treacle-a fantastic combination made by the baker in the restaurant and for sale at a modest price.I love this creativity here where food is an art and the chefs are artists.The food was fantastic . Everybody loved their starters;my son loved his squid and my father loved his coriander soup with tumeric.The fillet steak was beautifully cooked-tender and full of flavour. My early bird special of turkey and ham was also very moist and tender unlike the turkey my wife cooks on festive occasions which is usually dry.The vegetables were delicious especially the sweet parsnips cooked with cinammon and the carrots also were moist and tasty. The portions were very generous and left me with no room for dessert which were again imaginative and loved by my four children especially the chocolate mousse cake and fresh cheesecake with passion fruit.My son had a local stout from Wexford previously which he loved but this time my daughter had draught guiness which is so much better than the dishwater I have drank in Irish bars in London.
We were served by two waiters who were very courteous, polite and attentive and very funny also cracking jokes and making us feel at home and relaxed. We could not fault their service.They exceeded their duties and are a credit to the restaurant..My family felt special on this trip and look forward to returning on our next trip to Ireland. The early bird special was great value and the portions very generous. Having worked in catering in upmarket restaurants in the USA and London my wife and I were very impressed with the local produce and by the local staff who showcase them so well . Well done to all at Harry's Bar.My only regret is that you cannot take over your namesake in Mayfair.