“Picture perfect!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bolulla B&B and Inns
Juneau, Alaska
“Picture perfect!”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We recently had the opportunity to stay at this wonderful B&B on our trip to Spain. I have to say it was one of the best surprises ever! The grounds were amazing - pool, lounge chairs for relaxing, and a view from the front lawn breathtaking. I sometimes feel it is hard to beat our views at home in Alaska but this one did a good job competing. The owners provide detailed instructions to find it as it is tucked in the mountains. The owners were also so helpful in suggesting local places to hike and explore. The excellent breakfast and Saturday dinner were prepared and served with style by the owners. This B&B would be a destination in itself and I hope to return someday and stay much longer!

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Qatar
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We visited in August 2011. It was just as we imagined from the detail and photos provided on the website. Its not a 5* hotel but thats just it, thats not what it's about there, it is a tranquil, relaxing, wonderful, really truly special place to stay.

We were very well looked after, nothing was too much trouble. We were booked in for just 3 nights, but liked it so much we asked to extend our stay, unfortunately they were fully booked, not surprising at all.

Here's hoping we have the opportunity to return in 2012 - Am sure we'll find a suitable excuse

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MinnieMoonface
London
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed in February with our 10 month old son for some sun, walking and touring around. It is a lovely base for trips to the nearby beaches, the amazing Aitana valley and the Bernia Ridge. Great rooms with superb views and a very warm atmosphere. Thorsten and Sonia are very friendly and hospitable and the dining is good value and tasty meals The access road is steep in a couple of places but our skoda fabia hire car coped and the journey through the orange groves is nice. Superb winter sun break while the UK froze.

• Stayed February 2012
Norfolk
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Hello
just got back from my 9 night stay at Finca El Tossal and I had an amazing time. I picked Finca El Tossal as the photos online looked very beautiful and I wanted somewhere extra special to celebrate my 40th Birthday. My nine night stay cost a total of 711 Euros for a double room(79 per night for 2 people) . We had a very early flight so only had about 2 hours sleep and we got lost when trying to find the place, so we called the owner who told us where to go and we were already on the right road, but did not just drive up far enough. Directions were given to us on booking but we were just not thinking straight through lack of sleep. The roads up to the Finca are steep and abit bendy but we found them safe and we soon got used to them after a couple of drives. We hired a small car which was perfect for the roads. The drive up and down is easy after the first time.

Once we arrived we were warmly greeted by one of the owners and given a choice of 2 downstairs rooms. Both looked beautiful and I picked the 2nd room. We were then shown around the Finca , lounge area and pool area and told about breakfast and the honesty bar . We were very impressed so far with what we saw. The room and views were fabulous. We quickly unpacked and had a drink on the terrace overlooking the mountains with views down to the coast. I felt totally relaxed and we were then greeted by the other owner. Our holiday had got off to a great start.

ROOMS
Our room was downstairs( the place has 6 rooms in one building and one room with a small kitchen in the main building( stone house). Our room had a large 4 poster bed and a huge wardrobe with loads of hanging space and 2 large comfy chairs, table , sideboard and bedside tables. There was a flat screen TV with satelite and a safe and the bathroom had a shower and loo and a large mirror and loads of space for all my toiletries. The bathroom was small but perfectly formed. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom. The bedroom and sitting area was large and very comfy and cosy and we got a bottle of fresh water every day . The room was furnished to a very high standard and I loved the large chunky furniture and oversized chairs . Everything in the room was perfect. It was cleaned very well indeed every day too. I am a clean freak and thought it was spotless. I slept very well each night as the room was so comfy and relaxing. Our room also had patio style doors which overlooked the garden and mountains beyond. We had 2 large wooden chairs outside our room too to use during the day to enjoy the stunning views. We also found the room felt very private. I give the room 10 out of 10.

LOUNGE AREA AND BREAKFAST
Breakfast was served between 9am and 10.30am each day. Breakfast is buffet style and you can have coffee if you wish which is bought to your table. As I do not drink tea or coffee I asked for water each day as I do not drink juices either. The breakfast choice was vast and there was something for everyone. Fresh fruits and yogurts and cereals and fresh bread and delicious cakes and pastries and cheese and salamies and jams. Fruit juices and a toaster for you to do yourself toast. I found the breakfasts very nice indeed and the cakes and pastries and breads and fresh fruits varied each day which was a great touch. During our 9 night stay about 4 days we had the Finca to ourselves( no other guests) and had our own little table all set up looking out to the mountains with amazing pastries and one day Sonia made us a lovely fresh fruit salad. Little touches such as this made our stay extra special. The views at breakfast time were fantastic.

The breakfast area is in the main stoned building and there is a lovely terrace out the front and a lounge to one side with a bar and chairs and sofas and a table . You can use this area any time and have a drink from the honesty bar.You can also check your emails and surf the net using the wifi( which you can also get around the pool) The prices of drinks were very good value and we had several drinks during our stay. Sparkling wine was 10 Euros a bottle and we had 2 bottles during our time there. Things like coke and spirits were sensible too. There was a great selection of drinks ranging from beer, wine, spirits, soft drinks, sparkling waters and juices

EATING AT THE FINCA
When we first arrived evening meals were not being done as we were the only people there for 4 days. So it was not worth them opening the kitchen up. But on my 40th birthday they kindly cooked us an evening meal even though we were the only guests there. The meal was 18 Euros a person and was 3 courses. It was very very nice indeed. I really enjoyed it and thought the food was top quality and very tasty and amazing value. After our meal we chilled out on the sofas drinking wine listening to some music in the lounge. This ended my big day perfectly.
More guests arrived and we decided to have another evening meal on our last night. There were about 4 other couples in the diningroom( breakfast area during the day) and the meal started at 9pm and there was a nice atmosphere. The meal was superb again. The food is not to miss. I really enjoyed it again. And as I cannot eat certain cheeses ( cheddar and other strong cheeses) the owner came and checked with me when food was going to have cheese put into it which was very kind of them to make sure I could eat it.

GARDENS AND POOL
The Finca has beautiful gardens and loads of places to sit and relax and admire the views. There are chairs placed around the garden and there is the lovely terrace and pool area . I used the chairs outside my room most afternoons and also really enjoyed the pool area. The pool area has lovely plants and plenty of sunbeds and a hammock and swings and a decking area with large cushions for meditating or reading or just chilling out. I found the pool area tropical and very calming and enjoyed a cool afternoon drink or two on the decking overlooking the mountains.

LOCATION
The Finca is located up a road which is abit steep and bendy and it takes about 25 minutes to get to the coast. There is a small town about a 5 minute drive away which we went to one day and had a walk around and saw a small bar open which done food. There is another town which is about 10 minutes away called Callosa which had many bars and several places to eat and a bank and supermarket which we took a look at too. You can also go and eat lunch at a couple of restaurants near the Waterfalls near the Finca( about a 5 minute drive). So there are several things to do close by. One day we drove right up a mountain near by the Finca and had views of Altea and Benidorm and had a wonderful picnic . The Finca is located in a great location for hiking. I think the bendy road up to the Finca is well worth it as the rewards when you get there will take your breath away. Take it easy on your first trip to the Finca in your car and you will be fine. Some days we went out 2-3 times and had no problems at all with the roads.

PLACES WORTH GOING TO
During our 9 day trip we visited Altea Old Town with the blue domed Church and walked along Altea seafront which is very nice. Another place worth going to is Calpe Rock. The walk along it is very nice indeed. Moraira is another beautiful town I really liked and the coast road from Moraria to Calpe is very scenic and worthwhile. Calpe clifftop walk is a fave of mine too. And of course walking around near the Finca.

FINAL THOUGHT
I had a really great holiday at Finca El Tossal. The location and views were to die for and the quality of everything was very high. You can see the thought and love that has been put into the bed and breakfast. The furnishings and gardens and food and service are all fantastic. The owners really care about their guests and are very helpful indeed. They seem happy in what they are doing and it shows in everything. Extra touches like flowers on your table at breakfast, fresh water in the room, advice on where to go and warm friendly hello's every morning. I felt relaxed and at home and very welcome here. I will never forget sitting on the terrace taking in the amazing views. I highly rec this place to people who like to be away from the hustle and bustle of the coast, but can go to it if they wish in 25 minutes. If you want a top quality bed and breakfast with stunning views and a very relaxing atmosphere with people who clearly love what they do with fabulous food and good prices, go here. I will be going back for sure. I loved everything about it. Thanks for making my holiday so special Sonia and Thorsten

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank RachNorfolk
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Lovely place in the mountains. The first time you go up hill the road is a bit of a challenge, but these roads bring you to the nicest places! But the second time it's just a nice road up.
We had a very nice well decoraded and big room, with a very good shower.
The breakfast was very extensive there was something for everyone.
Ask the owners when and if they serve dinner, and if they do... Use it! The food was very nice.
The owners are very friendly and know a lot about the surrounding and the nice places to go to.
Lets not forget the nice poolarea!
A very nice place to relax!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank NathalieMatze
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We booked into El Tossal for four nights but booked out after the first night when they told us during breakfast that they would not be able to give us an evening meal. We booked this on the understanding that we didnt have to leave the Finca as it is situated a considerable distance up a track that is on occasions quite dangerous. They explained that they were tired and wanted a rest despite that they had just come back off holiday the week before. We were very disapointed to say the least because we were looking so foreward to a well earned break without having to navigate the mountain twice a day for luch and dinner.
Asked for another pillow which didnt come and the only thing to keep us cool at night was a very noisy fan. Oh and a wall light fell off the wall during the night leaving two electric wires exposed because the fitting had not been secured to the wall properly.
From a health & safety point there were two significant areas that when climbing steps there was no guard rail and if you fell you would have certainly sustained serious injury or even death.
Anyone reading this may think I am just a moaner however, travelling up to three times a year for the last twenty years this is the first time I have had to complain!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank decon130
amelani, Propietario at Finca el Tossal, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Anyone reading this may think we are just excusers...but we had many thousends satisfied guests and we do listen to critics very much and try our best to improve
We take every single complain as a chance for this but in this case........
As a small house we are telling everyone making a reservation that we try to manage dinner up to 5 times a week. On this night the guest is mentioning dinner was unfortunatlely not planed . The guest got very upset and found lots of things he did not like (eventhough he came month before to see everything in detail before making the reservation) he used our (obviously) privat entrance to the finca (what nobody so far did before) and it is true, this entrance is not perfectly finished.
he left after one night without paying the agreed cancelation fee. The entrance now has a sign (justi in case)
we think : not all hotels fit to all travellers and sometimes (in our case not very often at all) not every guest suits to certain type of hotels ......and we also think.....lamps are not falling of the wall in the middle of the night for nothing......
Navenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had a thoroughly enjoyable 6 days. Our single complaint is that there is not any proper hanging space, just 4 hooks behind the door. That aside, this was a beautiful place to stay. The location is stunning, and although it is a little tricky to locate first time it's OK after that but the lcoal roads demand concentration at night. The rooms are wonderfully decorated and, hanging space aside, very spacious but the bathrooms are slightly on the small side. The pool area is fantastic, as is the public terrace with stunning views and the atmospheric dining room. Breakfast was really good with great coffee! That said, fresh orange juice would have made it perfect. Dinner is provided 5 nights a week and was very good indeed. Drinks are 'bought' on a trust system and are always available. You simply pay the tab at the end of your stay. Sonia and Thorsten have created a special place to stay and we would recommend it to anyone wanting to visit the Costa Blanca for which Finca el Tossal is ideally situated.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar, apart from the 'cottage' which is smaller but has a small kitchen...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WanderingIslander
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolulla
VIVOOD Landscape Hotels
Alahuar Hotel
#1 of 1 in Benimaurell
Gran Hotel Sol y Mar
Asia Gardens Hotel & Thai Spa, a Royal Hideaway Hotel

Been to Finca el Tossal? Share your experiences!