The Black Pearl at Puaikura
The Edgewater Resort & Spa(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
$205
$114
  • Breakfast included
Aro'a Beachside Inn(Arorangi)(Great Value!)
$175
$128
$123
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Moana Sands Beachfront Hotel(Titikaveka)(Great Value!)
$221
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
Palm Grove(Vaimaanga)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsacross the roadcafe next doorbbq areapetrol stationlovely beachseparate bedroomenjoyed our stayconvenience storefiltered waterbus stop rightcooking facilitiesdive centrecook islandsscooter hirenice poolfresh towelsfish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Was really disappointed this was our thiird trip to Raro.
Definetly didnt get that usual Rarotongian greating we are use to.
Was dropped off at unit which was tucked under the stairs to an upper unit,
We were told ofice was closed until tomorrow and shown a number for emergency.
The first three nights no sleep as a rooster right outside theunit in the mangoe tree chhated to his mates all night.
We did get moved on fourth day which was a nice suprise.
I didnt find the staff very friendly apart from the groundsman Mani or Manu he was really friendly and keeps the grounds perfect.
The final straw was we nearly missed our flight as they didnt send our pick up we had to call the emergency number at 1am to ask and was told there was no pick up arranged.
Hey finally arrived at 1 25am we did make it to our flight but not the greatest end to a pretty average stay.

Room Tip: Not room 12
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank stephyuk
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family recently stayed at Puaikura Reef Lodges for 10 days. We found the place to be very pleasant and relaxing, albeit quite basic.

We had originally booked a Standard 1 Bedroom Unit (room 11) however found this to be unsuitable as the bedroom was not fully enclosed from the living area (which was required for our 4 year old child) and the unit was small and dark, so we upgraded to a Superior 1 Bedroom Unit (room 8) for a small fee which was much bigger, brighter and closer to the pool and also the bedroom was fully separate from the living area.

We found the room to be clean and tidy, the only annoyance was that many of the lights didn't work. The rooms were serviced daily if you wanted (except Sunday).

The motel manager, Lotu, was fantastic, if you had a question or wanted something booked she'd be more than happy to assist.

Manu the grounds-keeper / security is great, he showed us how to open a coconut and much more and is a all round nice guy.

The beach across the road is great for snorkeling.

I recommend this place if you want somewhere quiet and relaxing with self-catering facilities (each room has a kitchen and there is a BBQ on site). Your own transport would be useful as the place is reasonably isolated from restaurants and the main centres, although the buses are very reliable.

I recommend that you do not book the Standard 1 Bedroom Unit as you will likely be disappointed, pay the little bit extra for the Superior - the difference in quality is huge.

Lastly, try to avoid the takeaway shop (Maori Cafe) and store next door, the service was shocking and they never seemed to have any stock. Stock up on food and drink in the main town.

Room Tip: We found room 8 to be very good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Shane8888
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We travelled as a couple and stayed four nights at the Puaikura Reef Lodges.

We stayed in room 7 - opposite the pool. We were very happy with the cleanliness of the room; spotless really! Seeing as there were only two of us - we had pleanty of room (two extra single beds were not used in the living room). The rooms were physically up -to-date; only the shower seemed a little run down - but it didn't worry us in the slightest.

The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly and helped us with booking anything we needed - this truely made our trip that much more enjoyable.

Location: GREAT! You are situated just across the road from a beautiful beach and there is also a small food shop/gas station/takeaways right next door to the lodges - which is a huge positive.

This accommodation definately has a 'family atmosphere' - and would be great for those travelling in a group. We enjoyed interacting with the other guests/travellers - but keep in mind that if you are looking for a less 'busy' style of accommodation, this may not be your cup of tea.

Overall we found this accommodation to be of a high standard, with cleanliness, location and staff being our main highlight of the overall rating.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 7 - Opposite pool; great room! No aircon
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Natalie R
Reviewed March 14, 2013

In the past we were having to book all over the place for new teachers, comes to orientation, it was a hassle having to pick everyone up from different locations. The main reason for this was to cater for the different size families. With Puaikura Reef Lodges they could cater from singles, to couples and couples with kids from 1 child to 4 children. This was great! The pool was great value even with beach right across the road, it was much safer for the kids. The outside dining area provided us with an excellent orientation area for our teachers and we didn't need to transport them to the Ministry. Having teachers at one place gave them a chance to get to know one another which allowed them also to share meals over in the bbq area. Although there was lots of booking adjustments before our teachers arrived, the office lady Lotu Vea was so accommodating and provided a consistant service with a smile everytime we had to make changes, a value that's rare. Thank you Puaikura Reef Lodges for making the first few days for our new teachers an enjoyable one, as well as provided us the Ministry of Education an easier and more convenient location/accommodation to welcome our new teachers.

Meitaki Maata

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mii T
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Rarotonga.I had no preconceived idea of the place apart for some of my Cook Island friends saying I picked a good location on the island. From the pick up at the airport till the drop off at the end of the stay it all went smoothly. The transfer lady was really nice and friendly and as my stay went on I found the staff from the cleaners to the gardener very friendly and attentive.The office lady Lotu was amazing and booked things for me without a hassle and was generally very charming.
There is some good snorkeling to be had across the road and you can hire dive gear and snorkeling gear.Also next door is a convenience store and a nice little takeaway joint where i got a really nice fish burger.The buses also go from here. if you want a short trip to town I would get the clockwise bus otherwise, for a nice leisurely sight seeing trip i would take the longer anti clockwise bus.This was a good way to meet locals too.
I had no issue being further away from town and personally enjoyed having self contained units where i could buy my own stuff and make my own meals should i want to.It was all about living like a local.I do recommend getting your own mode of transport eventually.I found the room fine for me.It was large and had all i needed.it came with two stand alone fans and one in the bedroom which was priceless to have as the nights got really warm.All the windows had screening so no issues with insect but there were one or two geckos, but i found them more entertaining then a pest.I did not use the security box as it was really just a wooden box on a wall.My one gripe was that the road was near and it could get a bit loud. Also with the shops next door and the takeaway, you could sometimes here the locals and customers and this made it hard to get to sleep.
The cleaners did a grande job keeping the place clean and they would always ask I wanted the room made up.sometimes I said no, but most of the time they would do it.For me Puiakura Reef Lodges was perfect and its a credit to the owners and their team of workers that make this place a relaxing place to be.The locals were most friendly and welcoming.Just be aware that they really do "island time" here and if you have a pick up for an event or something, sometimes they may be 5 or so minutes late.That's just the way it is here but in the end,you're on holiday so enjoy!Would highly recommend the place tough.

Room Tip: I had unit 7 which was very good. All the windows were meshed and there were enough fans to keep anyone in there cool.It is close to the road though and it can be loud.The back faces against the shops too and even though there is a wall there, you can often hear whats going on next door.Overall though it was fine.I really enjoyed the outside covered patio too which looks over the pools.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo