“It works for me”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Arorangi
Accra, Ghana
“It works for me”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

There's a lot to like about the Edgewater. The location is fabulous, there's a range of rooms from basic to spectacular, there's good facilities and the staff are really good. There's rough edges - the internet is patchy (I did get a good room for it this time), service has quiet periods in the bar/restaurant and you have to ask for the fish 'lightly-cooked',. However, each time I come away feeling good about my time there, which is an achievement for someone on business staying in a family resort.

The rooms are good. Admittedly my garden room was looking tired, but it was clean, nice enough and cheap (particularly when bought on-line $50 a night cheaper than the hotel could do), the bed was big and comfortable, the aircon good (although noisy) and the bathroom clean and airy. The upmarket rooms are much nicer (but the prices less so; as someone else said - you get what you pay for).

There's space in the room to work (although fortunately I don't need a desk) and working in the bar in the late afternoon is a real pleasure as the sun sets - even the rain doesn't detract from this experience.

The internet was problematic on the first day, but the front desk staff very helpful and even replaced a dodgy internet card without question (as they should - but it is nice when it happens without a debate). The internet is reasonable throughout the resort, although you do need to keep on top of it or you can spend a lot of money rapidly (you get a lot of time but not a lot of downloads).

The food is almost invariably overcooked unless you like really well-done (other than the barbecue night if it's cooked in front of you). However, asking for meat rare and fish lightly-cooked generally fixes this problem (unless you really want rare meat). The breakfast for me was fantastic. It's simple, but there's loads of fresh fruit, breads and pastries, cereals and reasonable coffee. Getting meal service can be challenging at times, but typical of the Pacific, when it comes, it's very personable. Food and drinks are reasonably priced for a resort

The round-island buses stop at the resort and the scooters are cheap and fun (lots of fun - just be careful of dogs, particularly on the back-roads) making sight-seeing easy. The one exception is the cross-island walk, which you should arrange a pick-up for on Sundays (limited buses). Take the transfer from the airport, but I would suggest negotiating with a taxi to go back from the hotel to the airport if you can't pre-book your seats.

The atmosphere is generally very family (other than one time when much of the resort was taken over by a conference - these are great times to go if you can get in, because the facilities are all yours)

Room Tip: Book on-line for cheaper rates. Ask for rooms with good internet access if this matters as it does v...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AGeckoStoleMyBaby
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Kia Orana AGeckoStoleMyBaby,
Thank you for your comprehensive review on your recent stay here with us at The Edgewater Resort & Spa. We are delighted you had a great time here with us and found that "It works for you" in all aspects of your business holiday. We appreciate all feedback and have passed this on to all of our staff.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and we do hope you get to return to the Cook Islands and The Edgewater Resort & Spa in the future.
Sales & Marketing Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Christchurch
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We booked a family Villa. For the price the villa was some what disappointing. The villa had 2, 2 seaters in the lounge. The springs were broken in both 2 seaters and you had to put a pillow on them to sit on them. There was 1 air conditioning unit that was very old and didn't cool the bedrooms down. The staff were less than friendly. There was an old washing machine at the villa but no dryer. At the heart of the resort there were other washing machines and dryers but 3 out of the 5 dryers were out of order. The front door to the villa didn't close tight and rattled all night with the wind, this was resolved by putting a kitchen chair against the door something you wouldn't normally have to do for a $720 a night villa!! Only 1 of the 2 tennis courts were operational, the games room was very run down and the internet service was poor and extremely expensive. Suggest management start maintaining these units and the Australian owners start reinvesting back into this resort.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of staying in a family villa, just don't.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Chchkiwifamily
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Kia Orana Readers,
We have contacted chchkiwifamily personally regarding this feedback, to address concerns brought up in this review. We have also reviewed their Guest Comment form, and whilst they had issues with the villa, their overall experience with other aspects of the resort (other resort services, cleanliness and food & beverage) were satisfactory.
The couches in this villa have now been replaced, which was possible due to the shipment of new couches arriving from overseas. These had been on order for several months.
The purpose of the air-conditioning unit in the garden villas is to provide comfort climate control in the lounge and kitchen area. It is not designed to provide full climate control throughout the three-bedroom villas as each bedroom has fans and opening windows with mosquito protection for night time. Only our Beachfront Villas have an extra air conditioning unit in the master bedroom in addition to the main living room one.
One of our tennis courts was indeed out of action, however this was due to the surface being repainted. The white lines on the court have now been painted and the court is fully operational.
We would like to assure readers that our internet rates do indeed match those of our provider in town and in some instances are cheaper.
We do not provide dryers for the villas. Each villa has an outdoor line for drying washed clothing. Guests are able to use the guest laundry if they wish to use a dryer. We do have a our maintenance team continually working throughout the resort but unfortunately at the time this guest stayed , 3 of 5 of our driers decided to play up all at once. These have been fixed and are back in working order.
The retail rate for our Garden Villa is $555 per night. These three-bedroom villas sleep up to 6 adults. We believe they represent good value for money and so do many of our guests.
Meitaki Maata
auckland
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I had to stay here as it was prebooked for work. However, as my first experience in resorts, I have decided I am definitely not a resort kind of person. Reception were not as friendly/helpful especially as a first timer to the Cooks. I found the general cleaning staff to be much friendlier.

I ate breakfast at the restaurant as the breakfast is included. It would be helpful if staff there came around with coffee etc to top up to save from having to get up each time. I ate dinner there once on the first night due to convenience but my food was definitely overcooked. I dined out every other night and there is a world of great culinary experiences that I would definitely recommend.

I felt slightly overwhelmed by the numbers of people there, it is a huge complex, and it was quiet season. I did indulge in the happy hours at the bar once I finished work. They appear to cater well for young families with the pool and kids club but not enough activity for teens.

I paid per night and it was not worth it but if part of a package would be cheaper. The setting of this resort is absolutely gorgeous and seeing the sun set on a clear day is spectacular. My room overlooked the pool area and there was a roudy late night party one night and early morning children swimming- not cool if you are working but it is a lovely outlook. The room's aircon worked but was old and noisy so couldn't be left on for long. I was at the end of the block away from the entrance so less noisy from people walking past.

As I travelled solo, it was a safe place to be and I never felt otherwise at any time. There is security always around and generally friendly folk.

All in all, one could just stay in this resort and participate in the many activities provided, eg crab racing, tie dyeing pareu if that's your thing. It just simply isn't mine.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, choose a room away from the restaurant and pool along the waterfront
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jen101Auckland
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Kia Orana jen101Auckland,
Thank your for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us here at The Edgewater Resort & Spa. Overall we are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and that you loved the gorgeous setting, cocktail hour at Mal's Bar and felt safe with us here in our friendly environment. We appreciate all feedback and have taken up with our Front Office Manager and Restaurant Manager your comments regarding these departments. Thank you for bringing these to our attention. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your response and we do hope you get to return to the beautiful Cook Islands again in the future.
Kia Manuia
Newcastle
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and were quite disappointed with several things. The staff in the reception area are not as accommodating as you would expect. It felt like we were bothering them by asking questions, which I suppose we might have been as there was only ever one person on desk. They weren't overly rude, but not overly friendly either. We were also told different things by different staff. We had a split booking, which meant we were booked in for five nights then had to re check in for another three nights. One person told us to come back on the Friday and re check in and another told us there was no need and they could have fixed it for us from the beginning. We also wanted a check out extension on our last day due to a late plan trip and were told twice that we couldn't have that confirmed until the day on departure and then were told that there was no need for late check out as it had already been organised. We also couldn't get our phone to call reception as no one had enabled us to do this and when we got there we had problems with the air conditioner, we called reception and were visited by a repair man who said he would reset it and we never saw him again. Luckily we fixed it ourselves. The room was never locked after cleaning staff had been in the room and the doors did not lock very well when you did lock them. The towels smelled even after being replaced and it would have been nice to have at least some kitchen facilities. We were happy when we learned that there were movie channels, but the choices of movies were quite bad, with many re-runs of old James Bond movies. A DVD player would have been very much appreciated as there are several DVD stores on the island. There was also no magazine or book library which would have been a great addition. Quite frankly we became bored as the place was too expensive and there wasn't much to do. On the plus side the view was good and the staff in the restaurant provided much better service. The beach was nice and the grounds were well maintained. The cocktail hour was a good part of the stay and the food wasn't too bad. The rooms need an upgrade and they need another adults only pool as the existing one was in a very public place and frequented by children all day. We weren't expecting something incredible as we knew it was a lot cheaper than some of the other resorts on the island, but at over $300 a night we think more could be done to make the stay more comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Kia Orana readers,

We have contacted Heather S to ask for room details to enable us to investigate their comments further. As yet, we have not had a response. Should we receive one, we will post our response.

Kia Manuia
Wellington
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I think allot of people run this place down, But hey you get what you pay for right? Its fairly cheap to stay there. Yes the rooms are about 5 years overdue for a re fit and that pretty much can be said for most things in the resort, the food caters to the masses, i imagine most people would enjoy it and that's fine, personally i think they over cook everything. Especially fish that they seam to kill for a second time but hey fine dining is just not what you go there for. but in saying that i enjoyed the cocktails, they have a beautiful beach front location and i really enjoyed the BBQ night. We were really comfortable there and found it a good base for us. the only thing i think they could work on is cleaning, id definitely could be cleaner. things get old but there's no excuse for not being clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Kia Orana NENZEDER,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us here at The Edgewater Resort & Spa.

We agree on your comment on price and quality, as we have a number of room categories on the property that enable guests to match their budget with the style of accommodation they choose. We have rooms ranging from our lead-in Garden Rooms (at NZD 235 per room per night) up to Beachfront Deluxe suites (NZD$355 per room per night) to 3 bedroom villas which cater for 6 people (NZD $555 per villa per night). These rates include complimentary daily tropical breakfast.
At certain times of the year we have 1 free night and 2 free night promotions. This can bring the price point down per person to as low as $60 per person per night for people staying in a villa or around $80 per person per night in a room/suite.
The feedback we have from many guests and travel industry is that we represent very good value for money.
We are pleased you enjoyed our cocktails which are even better value at our Daily Tropical hour, and the BBQ Night which is one of our themed dinner evenings. We have taken up your comments on the food with our Food & Beverage Manager, and have passed on your ones regarding cleanliness to all our Managers.
Once again, we thank you for taking the time to post your comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay and our beautiful beachfront location. We do hope you get the opportunity to return to the Cook Islands and our Resort again in the future.

Meitaki Maata

Reviewed April 19, 2012

As a kiwi now living in London this was the perfect place to meet up with my mum and dad to celebrate my 30th bday. I absolutely loved every minute at this resort and can't stop looking at my pics of beautiful Rarotonga and thinking about when I can visit next.

There is everything you need here and Mal's bar had the best food! All our meals were delicious and well priced as I had heard the food in Raro was very expensive. Over last week the staff at the restaurant took the time to get to know us and were so friendly and accomodating, special mention must go out to Sabrina and her smile! The breakfasts were continental and the fruit was so amazing and sweet!! I have paw paw withdrawal back in London - it was all so fresh.

The reception staff weren't the friendliest and it took a while to get used to island time eg getting into the booking office to get onto a trip as it was often closed or had big queues but Edwina was great and so helpful.

We took our own snorkels and reef shoes as you can only borrow Edgewaters ones for two hours and along the beach towards town there is the best swimming rock so we tended to head down there for a lot of the day.

The fish feeding and activities at the hut were fun! My mum and I took part in the Ei making with 'Bob' and that was so much fun - I was very proud of what I made!!

We also had facials at the spa but next time I would probably go elsewhere, it was quite shabby on the inside and the guy put a mask on me and then spent the next 20 mins gossiping with the other beauticians so it wasn't terribly relaxing. Despite that the products were lovely and the facial wasn't too expensive.

My time at Edgewater will always be treasured and I am looking forward to getting back one day! I would definitely recommend this resort to everyone!!!

Room Tip: We had a garden view room which had everything we needed however the mattresses were quite old and a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ltodd14
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Kia Orana Itodd14,
We are delighted you had a wonderful time here with your parents and enjoyed celebrating your birthday! We also thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and have passed these on to our staff who enjoy reading these, particularly the lovely Sabrina! We have also taken up with management your comments on our reception staff and Spa for further discussion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Once again, thank you for your lovely review and we do hope you get the opportunity to come back and visit our resort and our Edgewater family once again!
Sydney
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We loved every minute at this resort.Booked a garden room(the cheapest) and found it quite good...plenty of space and all conveniences. All the staff were excellent and no request was a problem.We enjoyed the activities.Special mention to the island night,the crab races,fish feeding and snorkelling in the lagoon.
As 2 older ladies in their 50's needing a well earned rest from teaching,this was the ideal spot!There is a good mix of ages-families,honeymooners,older couples,singles,teenagers.

Room Tip: If asking for a garden room request a lower floor,our initial room 3 flights up(with no lift) was ho...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julene M
Edgewater R, Director of Sales at The Edgewater Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Kia Orana Julene M,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay here with our Edgewater family. We are delighted you loved every minute of your holiday with us here and have passed all your comments on to our staff. We are pleased you were both able to have a well-deserved rest from teaching and trust you returned home refreshed and ready to go! Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again!
Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arorangi
Sanctuary Rarotonga-on the beach
#2 of 5 in Avarua
Aro'a Beachside Inn
Aro'a Beachside Inn
#3 of 4 in Arorangi

Been to The Edgewater Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!