“One life, like a movie!”
Review of El Zopilote

El Zopilote
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, The Flintstones, T-Rex, King Kong,Izland, Volcanos,... all in one concept in El Zopilote. :)) Here poossible to people enter all this diffrent anbiances in diffrent time. Wonderfull colors from jungle, forest, mangos, diffrent fruits, animals, singer birds everywhere....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 1, 2013

my first impression was great. but this place is past its prime. security is low and the manager is horrible and rude. I got bed bugs and was forced to pay anway. all my baggage got infected and i was itching over th place. as proof i saw a huge colony of bed bugs under my bed. i got them climbing on my at night. like i said, they forced me to pay otherwise they would not return muy passport deposit. many others got bed bugs too, but no one is fixing the problem. there is a huge bed bud problem here so just go somewhere else and relax in peace of mind.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ALeagues
ometepezopilote, Owner at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

this fact had happened in april and is strange that in august you still referring to this in present tense like if the problem is still going on. thats was our first time dealing with bed bugs, never had them here before, those are a huge problem for every hostel because this insect travel all americas with the tourist inside their bags and clothes and spread really fast once they get in a dormitory room, anyway immediately after we got to know that we had an infection of bed bugs we start a pest control. we get rid of them in the first 2 week but we still doing the pest control 2 times a week for be sure to don't get another infection in the hostel .
I would like to know how you can say that nobody was doing anything to resolve this problem when you have left the hostel the very moment you discovered there were bed bugs and we haven't see you anymore . is difficult that you know what was going on here after you left.
anyway I'm sorry for you and the other tourist that had the bad luck to be here in that specific period and that you couldn't enjoy the life that is usually going on here in El Zopilote

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friend and I arrived at Ometepe looking for some days in the nature to rest after volunteering for two months in Granada, and El Zopilote was a perfect choice: with an extensive green area, was not difficult to find a quiet place to read a book or appreciate the view, and the yoga in the morning was a relaxing way to begin the days. The restaurant and the pizza were really good, besides all the products and cakes that they produce at the farm. We learn a little about compost toilet and gardening, too. I believe that is a good choice for those looking for peaceful days among the nature.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hello,
This could be the perfect place for un eco friendly hotel to stay long enough to loose yourself in the beautiful nature of Isla ometepe.

But this hostel is really poorly managed, with a grumpy and unwelcoming owner. It is really expensive for what it is. The room was dirty (dirty toilet paper under the bed and on the floor) when we moved in. And some friend who stayed there as well got their phone stolen and by talking with some other guests, they learnt it wasn´t the first thing to be stolen in this hostel.

The best is the restaurant with its view and obviously the 100% ecological place, which is brillantly done honestly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
ometepezopilote, Owner at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Hi I'm really sorry you find your room not clean probably must have had some problem with the girl make the cleaning is not usually like that we clean the room,dormitory, hammock place, the toilet, and the common area every day of the week.
About the price you can have your opinion of course but I don't see expensive hammock at 3$, a dormitory at 6 $ for person, and room from 14$ for two person.
The problem of things stolen is not a problem that affect just our place but unfortunately is a problem of every place and hostel in central america and mostly of south america, we provide to the guest safety iron boxes big enough for a big backpack an something more, 2 in every room and 1 for person in the dormitory and hammock place, we also have a safety box in the reception for valuable things like pasport, money, laptop, and phone, we always suggest to the tourist to use it, but sometime someone still think to be in the safety of europe or north-america and prefer don't use it. We also have 2 security guard working all the nights from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am controlling every place of the farm.
I'm sorry your friend get stolen but we are doing our best to prevent this things but everything is more difficult if you don't help us using the safety boxes

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I went here with the intention to relax for a week after a bit too much partying in San Juan Del Sur. It was the perfect antidote and let me fully unwind withy some great food and quiet time. The yoga in the morning was very good and in english which was great as my spanish is not brilliant. Would highly recommend.

I did try to have some spanish lessons there as they are a bargain at only 2 dollars an hour. Unfortunately the teacher only turned up once in the 3 lessons I booked. This is obviously not a fault of the hostel. The staff were great and patient with my spanish.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I were travelling for 3 months in Central America and El Zopilote was the place that we spent more time. We were camping there for 15 days in a peaceful spot with birds and squirrels as neighbors. There is a restaurant with really good food and not expensive, and there is little markets on the road close to the hostal. The pizza night was really nice with good ambient and a fire show. We helped some days on the garden and with the products, learning about the farm and spending a nice time with the local workers. . I would recommend the place to anyone who wants to deep experience the nature that surround the farm and the ecological sense of the place through the compost toilets and the open (but still private!) showers. Will never forget!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am travelling through Central America visiting eco farms and hostels, and since I was in Panamá people was telling me to go to Zopilote, and it was better than what I have heard. It was the only farm/hostal that I visit that employs more local people than foreigners, and the only one that get volunteering and not charge for that. It’s a beautiful place with natural construction and compost toilet, and the restaurant has organic food and products that are made on the farm. They offer different options of accommodations for different budgets, and is a great opportunity to spend some time with local workers or guides (I made the tour to Volcán Maderas) and learn some spanish. It was a great experience!

Room Tip: I stayed on the dorm, where I had a big private locker to put my backpack. It was a two floor buildi...