“Great eco lodge”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Great eco lodge”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Finca del Sol was great. Sheri was very helpful and hospitable, and their freshly cooked breakfasts were amazing! The cabins were very clean and well taken care of, and the goats that hang out between the cabins and the breakfast area are adorable. The landscape by the cabins is a little dry and not as lush as up by the breakfast area - but looks out over Lake Nicaragua, and the beach is a short walk away. The location is pretty far from the towns and the biggest challenge we had was figuring out where to go for lunch/dinner bc there aren't too many options nearby. But if you're up for a faraway retreat Finca del Sol is wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ARL140

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
PENNSYLVANIA
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Spent three nights at Finca del Sol (one in Bamboo lodge, two in Cabina Luna). Our decision to go to Ometepe was last minute, and I was pleased that they had availability, switching cabins was not an issue.

The Cabins: Each of the cabins we stayed in were clean and spacious, screens on all windows, also mosquito netting on the very comfortable beds. The water filter was also very helpful, as most of the other places in Nicaragua that we stayed did not have drinkable water unless you purchased bottles. The view from each cabin was breathtaking, sunsets behind Volcan Concepcion were awe-inspiring as were the thunderstorms that rolled by later in the evening. Composting toilets were cleaned daily and did not smell funky at all (unlike some other places on the island with composting toilets).

The Location: Located within walking distance of the nicest beach on Ometepe. Easily walkable to a variety of different places for lunch or dinner. Santa Cruz is centrally located to got to Ojo de Agua, waterfalls and hiking on Maderas, the beach, etc. We rented bikes from the finca one day to explore without having to taxi/bus around.

The Food: So so SO VERY GOOD. Everything is local, even the delicious honey. And the bread, oh the bread... The breakfast is well worth the small expense. Side note: go to Cafe Campestre in Balgue, unbelievably amazing food.

The Hosts: Sherri and Christiano were welcoming and gracious hosts, helping us arrange for a guided hike up Vocan Maderas, arranging for early morning taxi ride to Moyagalpa, even helping out when my boyfriend came down with a touch of flu. They are committed to sustainability and provide good quality jobs to local people.

You really can't go wrong with Finca del Sol. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and give it my highest recommendation to others.

Room Tip: Bamboo lodge is the biggest and has hot water. All cabins have amazing views with hammocks and chai...
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ksusens
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were three women over 60 spending a few nights on Ometepe following a week in San Juan del Sur. I did a lot of research prior to our trip trying to find the best place for us to stay. Sheri and Cristiano were wonderful in providing us lots of information prior to our arrival. I was excited to meet them and spend two nights in the Bamboo Cabin at their wonderful eco lodge. I loved the peaceful setting. Two of us slept outside in the hammocks both nights and I will never forget how beautiful that experience was. Our hosts were very helpful with arranging transportation. After travelling the country for ten days and hiring drivers, the $25 taxi fare from Moyogalpa was very reasonable. Breakfast was very good. The thermos of coffee they provided at our room the night before was still hot for our early morning cup of coffee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I found Finca del Sol to be the perfect accommodation choice for my trip to Ometepe. Sheri and Cristiano were welcoming and helpful hosts who supplied me with information about the island and even invited me to join them for lunch one afternoon during my stay. The property is beautiful, well-maintained, and convenient to many sights on Ometepe -- Volcan Maderas (Sheri organized a hike to the lookout with an excellent local guide), horseback riding in Merida (with Hari's Horses -- highly recommended), Cascadas San Ramon and Jeruselen, Finca Magdalena, Santa Cruz beach, and Cafe Campestre (the best restaurant on the island). I especially liked the eco-feel of the private cabins and was charmed to wake up to cows and sheep passing by my windows in the morning. All in all, a lovely stay. Thank you Sheri and Cristiano!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Finca del Sol in June 2013. As soon as you enter the property you are aware of the love the the hosts have for the farm and the cottages. The hosts, Sherri and Christiano were very helpful in organizing transportation and hiking guides. I highly recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing stay in Ometepe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
YankMancDub
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Wanted to try a few different places on the island, my sister and I booked two nights at finca del sol after two nights at another spot on the island. While were possibly spoiled by other great experiences on the island, we kept feeling like we'd made a mistake staying here. The rooms are nice enough, and we were both excited about understanding the mechanisms of eco-living in practice (using the compostable toilet, etc). The breakfasts were very good if a little small compared to a few other we had for that price (or included at other hotels).

Should also be said that there is quite a walk from the cabins to the breakfast area. If we'd been there in wetter times, would have been nice to see a bit more on the fruit and wildlife walks.

Was great to get to borrow some DVDs to watch. Because we had to keep the windows open in order not to be sweltering during the months when we were there, we were self-conscious about watching movies late in case the sound would carry. Also the window thing means you end up needing to change your clothes in front of windows that surround the cabin for ventilation... there were some near flashing incidents (bathroom was a little too small and warm to change in!)

I've seen long responses from the proprietor to other less than glowing reviews here, and I want to be clear that I'm not looking for these problems to have been solved. What I've written about was what was advertised basically, and these aren't big complaints. It was the overall attitude toward guests and the leading way the feedback forms were written (example "I am fine with the food having preservatives and other things in it because i want it to be cheaper" or something like that so you are made to feel like a cheeto guzzling, twinkie-lover if you think the food shouldn't cost as much as it does) It felt defensive and passive-aggressive. If you want a green experience where you're left to your own devices and are cool with some insect life being up in your personal space this will most likely suit you fine!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank cageygirl
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great place to say in Ometepe. The owners Christiano and Ana were extremely helpful, proving the most detailed information available on the island. I really liked the large grounds, and all the space between the cabanas, my cabana had a view of the mountain. I was on a short trip so every information counted (ferry schedules, where to rent a motorbike, transportation to the lodging). We stayed in the the orange bungalow with a queen bed and 2 bunk beds. It was the largest of the 3 cabanas they have. I wish I could have stayed longer. A very peaceful place.

Pros:
- They only have 3 cabanas so they really take care of you and have great information.
- The cabana's are located far from each other so you can have privacy. The lot is huge.
- I could see the Constation volcano from our cabana.
- The bungalow was spacious, and it had amenities that were useful - such as a water jug in the room, chairs inside and outside the cabana, hammocks.
- Hot shower was available. (depending how long the first shower is, you may need to wait a bit until it warms up again for the 2nd person). Nice large shower.
- My flight from NY was cancelled from due to storm and I lost 2 days of my vacation, I told them asap and they were very understanding of the situation.
- cabana was nicely decorated, and very comfortable.
- Cabana was spacey,$55 for 2 people (off season).
- fireflies at night were amazing.

Cons:
- private transportation from San Jose to Santa Cruz was $20 (2 people) $25 if from Motogalpa, and from Santa Cruz to Altegracias was $20. That seems to be the going rate for the island, and you would be helping out the local business. But I thought it was kind of high for the distance.
- the common area is in the back of the lot, more likely you will spend more time in your cabana that the common area.
- it's an eco lodge and the toilet is a compost toilet where you use chaff instead of water to flush the toilet. There was no smell and I had no problems.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Hostel & Restaurant
Selvista Guesthouses
Selvista Guesthouses
#3 of 5 in Balgue

Been to Finca del Sol? Share your experiences!