“Probably the nicest place on the island to stay”

Finca San Juan de la Isla
Ranked #1 of 8 Altagracia B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Our cabina was wonderful - beautiful tiled bathroom - the best hot water in any hotel anywhere - it had a lovely porch with hammock and chairs - also a great place for early morning yoga (self directed) - it sounded like a jungle outside our room in the morning and evening - the beach was non-existent, not like it was on the website because the lake was so high - this place is very isolated though and you need to pay for a driver to take you around and have him wait - the two drivers we had were great - the roads are very bad on the south part of the island and so is the long driveway/road into the finca. We were very lucky that the owner, Cesar, was there for a short time to tell us about a guide and a driver and what we could do in the area. If we had not met him, before he left for Managua we would have felt stranded. We did feel it was a bit of a bait and switch because I had corresponded with someone who spoke excellent English and also seemed like there would be a nice Christmas celebration - there was no Christmas tree or celebration planned - that person on the e-mails is not based at the finca and no one else spoke English - however we did do fine with our phrase book and the staff was wonderful - they tried their best to understand us and were very accomodating with all our requests - the food was good - we had a wonderful guide named Jose Antonio who took us on wonderful hikes and other activities - there was no internet access at the hotel

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 11, 2011

My three friends and I spent three days here. It was complete bliss. The hotel is reached via a winding bumpy road (completely normal for ometepe) through plaintain farms to the hotel which is at the edge of lake Nicaragua. Perfect location.

We were the only ones at the hotel during our stay and were treated wonderfully. It was the only place we stayed in that had hot water! The room was beautiful and had air conditioning as well. The food was amazing - we still talk about the fresh sqeezed juices - orange, passionfruit, papaya.
Tthe staff was very helpful and even escorted us on our hike to a waterfall.
My only caveat about the hotel is that if you are a backpacker only interested in a cheap room this is not the place for you. Ometepe has tons of backpacker hostels that are perfectly decent but this hotel is geared for travellors looking for a nicer experience.

I would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation in beautiful surrroundings.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed December 27, 2010

We were met at the ferry by San Juan staff and took an easy 30-minute drive to the finca (farm). (Ometepe roads have a rough reputation but this stretch of road is quite good). We were then greeted by the hotel owner (Caesar) who provided us a tour of the grounds and made us feel at home.

The adjacent marsh is a birder's paradise. Butterflies and other insects abound as well. The DW took a horse back ride to a nearby spring/swimming hole while I hiked some adjacent trails. The finca lies on Lake Nicaragua (safe to swim but not too inviting). There are not many other things to do here if you don't enjoy the outdoors... but it's still a wonderful place just to enjoy the shade, a rocking chair and a good book.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all EXCELLENT.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We were met at the ferry by the owner and treated to a fantastic lunch when we arrived at the hotel. The food was outstanding. Marvin is an excellent cook and he took care of our every need from arranging to have our boots cleaned after a long hike to bringing us juice or drinks to our hammocks. Oh, did I mention the hammocks outside our rooms? What an incredible way to relax. The scenery is beautiful, right on Lake Nicaragua, plenty of birds, flowers and other photo opportunities. If you are looking for a beautiful, peaceful setting, outstanding food and excellent customer service this is the place to go. We hated to leave - the very best of Nicaragua hospitality and beauty.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2010

The highlight of my Nicaragua vacation! I just can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it here. From the attentiveness of the owner and staff, the fabulous food, to the amazing peace I found reading my book while laying in the hammock after a long, arduous hike, I'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This place is absolutely incredible. The beauty of the finca, the graciousness of the hosts and staff, the quality of the food, the plethora of activities on the island - it's a truly perfect way to get away from daily urban life and experience the island of Ometepe. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allynr
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Gracious host, friendly staff, great food and perfect location for my wife and I too relax. There were things like horse back riding and exploring the town and island but we elected to just sit and "veg". Getting to this place made me realize what a hidden gem it was and the trip was part of the excitement (public ferry and then the hotel's 4x4 picked us up). The room and bath were great and reminded me of cottages we've rented on Hawaii. They also had their own water system so the water was fine (which was something I was concerned with on this trip) Saw tons of birds. Heard monkeys but didn't see any. The staff were using lap tops but my wife and I did not bring our computers, but I'm assuming they have a net connection for guests. People are welcome to contact me for more details.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altagracia
Hotel Villa Paraiso
#7 of 52 in Isla de Ometepe
Hotel Finca El Chipote
Hotel Finca El Chipote
#2 of 8 in Altagracia

Been to Finca San Juan de la Isla? Share your experiences!