“A real hidden gem!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went to the appletree country inn as we had a groupon deal for the cowshed cottage which is owned by the landlord and lady of this wonderful pub, and so decided to eat in the restaurant for pure ease. I am so glad we did!!! This place is a real hidden gem, it is literally in the middle of nowhere in a tiny village with just a few houses for company, about halfway between Malton and Pickering.
When we arrived for our meal we were greeted by Pablo the dog (the most lovely labrador you'll ever meet) and smiling bar staff. We got some drinks in the bar area and perused the menus. The bar staff then came and took our orders and even changed one of their normal dishes, to accommodate the fact my wife didnt like one thing in a certain meal, and changed for an alternative item with no issues at all, just a simple "not a problem".
We were then shown through to the restaurant area, which is very quaint and homely. It was very quiet for dinnertime on a friday evening, but i guess this is due to where its located and word of mouth not quite getting out yet.
The starters arrived and were beautiful, my wife had the pork and apricot pie and i had the homemade scotch egg, they were both absolutely gorgeous!!
The mains were the crispy pork belly for the wife (which she said just melted in her mouth) and I went for the order by the ounce steak, what a great idea. If id been greedier i'd have ordered a lot more steak but stuck with 10oz and then all the trimmings (including the famous chips!) This was the best steak meal I have ever had, cooked to perfection, presented amazingly and most importantly amazingly superb tasting!!!
Feeling greedy we went for desserts too, which my wife had the cheese board (which looked lovely) and I had a gorgeous spotted dog pudding with custard.
Everything we ate had been lovingly prepared from scratch and everything tasted absolutely amazing, one of the best meals I have ever eaten, and for what it all cost surprisingly good value too.
A big thanks to Graham for cooking the lovely meals for us, and to the happy bar staff for malking the whole thing a great experience.

1  Thank michaelcowgill

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Arranged to meet some of my family for a lunchtime get together on the Friday before Christmas and was most surprised that we were the only diners...Why?
A welcoming atmosphere with cosy log fires and a lovely welcome from the staff and Pablo the dog, followed by an excellent meal (the steak sold by the ounce is a brilliant idea) and the chips are second to none!!! Nothing was too much trouble and I cannot understand why this lovely pub/restaurant was not busy. North Yorkshire folk are missing out!!!

1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My party of four were staying at a nearby cottage for the week. We stopped by the inn to look at the menu and decided it looked interesting enough to return on the Thursday evening. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the bar staff and some of the locals at the bar. The restaurant was strangely empty at 7pm. I caught sight of the young chef and asked if he was actually cooking! Then I asked him what he considered his signature dish; it was the fish pie.
Three of the four of us ordered the fish pie and it had obviously been prepared from scratch and stuffed with a delicious array of fish and shellfish. The creamy broth was seasoned to perfection. The fresh bread accompaniments were a perfect complement to the meal.
We sampled four different desserts and coffee and everyone agreed that all-in-all it was the best meal we had eaten in our visit to the Moors.
Once the word gets out about this young chef, you'll have to book well ahead to get a seat and empty restaurants will be a thing of the past. Bravo!

1  Thank Trainmodeller
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Having been recommended this pub purely for food alone, we visited the area and booked ourselves in. The food is beautifully presented and tastes superb, not the normal pub type grub which is a great change!! Lovely place to eat with friendly staff!

1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We visited this restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday. we had been before several years ago but it has closed and re-open since then.
The restaurant is within the pub and as such is open to view to others using the bar, this is not a major problem but I expect it may feel a little fish bowl like at times. The decor was pleasing and it had a real fire in the restaurant making it feel cosy. We were greeted at the bar and shown to the lounge area to read the menus. There was a good choice of dishes, none of them too fancy and all using local produce.
I chose potted shrimps to start and the pork belly for mains followed by spotted dog pudding, my wife had the soup, Glamorgan sausages and a brownie for sweet. We enjoyed all the dishes and found the portion sizes to be just right. The service was good though we did wait a while before our starters arrived.
We certainly enjoyed our visit and as it is local we will be back before too long.

1  Thank sealdriver