“The food and service are EXCELLENT!”
Review of Esperanza Mansion

and 1 more site!
Esperanza Mansion
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bluff Point
Rochester, New York
“The food and service are EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed March 3, 2006

This was our second trip from Rochester, New York (about an hour away) and I can say, it won't be our last. Our previous visit was in the late summer of 2005 and it was fantastic, prompting our return in February to take part in a wine getaway weekend package. The Inn was lovely and everything was delivered as promised. The real treat though is the restaurant. Service was outstanding throughout our meal. Since our timing was close to Valentines day, business was brisk but the servers were able to keep up with ease. We never lacked for anything and the courses were timed perfectly. Oh, OUR BREAD WAS WARM too! My partner indulged in the Lobster Bisque and I skipped that course to ensure room for the goodies to come. After I tried her Lobster Bisque however, I instantly regretted skipping this work of art. All I can say is the pieces of lobster were big, not overcooked and plentiful. The soup itself is so buttery, you practically melt onto the floor. We shared a salad after that, because we had seen other patrons order salad and they are huge! Ours was filled with lots of crisp veggies and fresh tender avacado. My partner chose a Sea Bass entree that she felt was done to perfection and I had a filet that was cooked exactly to my specifications. Portions were large and filling, mashed potatoes were perfectly seasoned and veggies were cooked "just right". We did not partake in dessert because we were so full. We concluded our meal with fresh coffee and returned to the Inn for a restful nights sleep. I feel I should take a sentence to speak of cost. We were not surprised or upset at the cost of anything on the menu. This is an elegant restaurant with fine dining and service. Given that, the menu items were priced appropriatley. This is not a Denny's folks and it was well worth every penny. We have no doubt that we will return to this treasure and have shared our experience with many friends and family. Day or night, the view is priceless, the service is superior and the food is exquisite. Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank Sherrie5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed February 7, 2006

Six of us went for dinner on a Wednesday to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday. We ordered soup and an appetizer to start. When the escargot stuffed mushrooms arrived, I was sure I had hit a home run. They were delicious so I anticipated with great satisfaction that the rest of the meal would be just as wonderful. Soon after, however, it proved otherwise.

The seafood and roasted tomato soup were EXTREMELY salty which I don’t think I have ever experienced or at least don’t remember in recent years. Usually the chefs don’t salt enough to my taste. When the main courses arrived, the theme continued and there was just further disappointment. The seafood casserole that my mother-in-law and her friend ordered was extremely salty also.

Three of us had ordered the prime rib, which was the special for the night. When it was served, all three of us had to send our entrees back. What was supposed to be medium and medium rare was definitely and unmistakably very rare. That would not have been bothersome if the steaks were good quality. However, that was not the fact either. The cuts were fatty, tough, chewy, and not very flavorful. It was almost as if the gravy that was slathered on top of the ribs was put there to mask the mediocre cut of beef. When the waitress took away my father-in-law’s plate, it looked like he hadn’t eaten half of his meal there was so much fat that was cut away.

We paid the almost $300 bill and made our way home. It was not until we were home that my husband commented to me about the over spiced veal he had eaten. I had struck out.

I wrote a letter of complaint to the management. It was never answered. We will never go back to this establishment.

Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Bluff Point hotels

Reviewed December 25, 2005

My husband and I were married at the Esperanza Mansion. It was nothing short of MAGNIFICENT --- We knew we wanted our wedding reception at the Esperanza Mansion from the moment we stepped onto the amazing patio which overlooks Keuka Lake - it is brethtakingly beautiful!!! We were then introduced to the wonderfully professional and kind Kathy Marchenese, one of the managers there. She put us totally at ease with her knowledge and keen insight into what we wanted. She was totally in tune with our high expectations... and took care of our every wish. If everyone had someone like her to oversee their wedding plans, there would be less wedding planning jokes! The reception itself was incredible - people are still complimenting on what a wonderful affair it was and what a PERFECT setting the Esperanza Mansion was.... from the grounds to the guest rooms to the food. How the staff managed to deliver 100+ meals hot and fresh is beyond us... the chef made each meal to perfection. My sea bass was the best ever! There is not one thing my husband and I would change about the Esperanza Mansion. They even personally delivered items we had forgotton there - we live 2 hours away!! Make no mistake - go to the Esperanza Mansion - you will not regret it - trust us! We are already making reservations for our first anniversary....

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rhode Island
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Despite a history of some service problems mentioned here, we decided to give this place a try for a fancy weekend dinner. We wondered why our B&B innkeepers only compressed their lips when we mentioned where we planned to dine. Clearly, they were biting their tongues! We were seated quickly, and that was the last quick thing we saw for the remainder of the evening. Despite many empty tables in the dining rooms, so not at all crowded, service stank. We practically had to stick a leg out and trip a waitress to get any attention at all. But the worst was to come with the food. He ordered duck, I ordered steak. She asked us both how we wanted our entrees cooked. He wanted medium duck, I rare steak. I even specified "red, warm center," to avoid misunderstanding. This $30 steak (yes, that's thirty dollars) was described as having a fancy butter topping, with roasted potatoes and glazed carrots. It came, finally, with lots of gristle and no topping, lukewarm and tasteless reheated potatoes, glazeless carrots so undercooked as to be almost raw, and the steak cooked to at least medium. Took forever to get the waitress back. I only complained about the medium steak. By this time, my husband had almost finished his duck (which came rare, despite his request). She took my plate and disappeared. I ate a cold roll (these prices and they don't heat the bread?). About 15 minutes later, my husband having finished eating some time ago, she returned with, I kid you not, a very hot plate with the very same steak I had sent back, pieces cut just the way I had left them. Somehow the carrots, which I had not complained about (although I should have) had disappeared completely. She put it down and literally ran away. This time we almost had to tackle her to get her over again. I pointed out that the steak looked really familiar. She got very nervous, agreed, and said this was clearly some mistake. Yeah, the mistake was going to this restaurant, but I was polite to her. Told her never mind, I had lost my appetite. She tried to argue with me and wanted to try again. I insisted no. Still, she appeared again about 5 minutes later with another steak entree, this time I could see the butter topping I had never seen before. But I refused it. She acted like they were doing us a big favor by not charging me for the steak I never ate. When we reported all this to our innkeepers, they advised us that they'd been hearing this kind of story from lots of their guests, but don't like to trash another local business. They simply never recommend Esperanza to guests, but we had already picked it ourselves. Bottom line, you can better spend this money somewhere else. Snug Harbor, which several other B&B companions had tried, was highly praised, and we will try that next time.

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank petlady1
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2005

Stopped in for lunch after visiting two wineries over on the west side of Keuka Lake. [ Heron Hill and Dr Franks ] Took awhile to get us seated but well worth the wait. What a view. Pretty cool spot , highly recommend dropping in to explore it if you are in the area.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank Bruce H
Reviewed September 12, 2005

We loved this place - the room, view and location were wonderful. The front desk staff was great. The only disappointment was with the food and food service. Breakfast was a huge letdown. It was exactly the same each morning. If you didn't want to each an egg, fatty bacon and cheese quiche, you didn't have many options. The toaster didn't work correctly so your toast always burned because you couldn't get it out of the toaster. The service was terrible. Some tables were offered juice while others were not. It was difficult to get any coffee/tea/water because there was never anyone around to ask. The server would appear every 20 minutes or so. The first night we had dinner, we loved it. The service and food were fabulous, so much so that we decided to return 2 nights later. Big mistake! This time, the service was so poor that I finally lost my temper and demanded to see the manager. The waitress spilled very hot soup down my husband's leg. Then she spilled water on the table which went through onto my legs. The entree portions were nearly half the size that they were on the first night (we ordered the same exact food) and to top it off, I got a very long hair in my salad. Ugh! When I complained to the manager, he finally agreed with my service issues (and I think the hair got to him too) that he offered us one free entree and free desserts. He was apologetic and did handle the situation correctly. Because of this, I may try the restaurant again, but with caution! The inn itself, beautiful!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I stayed at the Esperanza 3 times and have also have had dinner there 3 times. Even time has been great. The staff is very nice, the rooms a clean and beautiful. I've stayed at the inn, which was above average for a motel like room, and in the mansion, which has great rooms. The food at the mansion is a bit over priced but it is great. I will stay again the view is beautiful, and so is the mansion. Jenn NY

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#8 of 11 in Geneva
Lakeside Resort
Lakeside Resort
#3 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Esperanza Mansion? Share your experiences!