“Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lonesome Cove Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan Island
Lonesome Cove Resort
You added Lonesome Cove Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in San Juan Island
“Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Visited by boat and the Owner's were very accommodating and maintain a nice dock complete with fenders. No stuffiness here. the Owners Kim and Karl live right on the property and you'll feel like your visiting old friends rather than going to a resort. They went out of their way to tell us of places to visit. Cabins were rustic and unique, very cozy with small kitchens and fireplaces. Stunning views with Eagles flying right out the door. During our stay the Orca's even swam by not 300 yds from the shore. Very scenic and quiet no TV's etc. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: All the cabins have great views and are pretty much the same. You'll like them if you like a tru...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We could not have chosen a better place to celebrate our anniversary! The resort is everything you would think of in a secluded romantic island setting. The wine from the local winery is fantastic and goes very well with the view from the deck.The boathouse is a warm and comfortable home away from home. We loved having a fire in the evening and quiet time with each other. Mornings we shared with the otters and eagles as well as a company of seagulls. We were lucky to have a group of Steller sea lions staying across the way; they were a partying group! Kim and Karl confirmed with us that McMillan's restaurant in Roche Harbor was the place to enjoy our celebratory dinner and they were right! We want to thank Kim and Karl for making it feel tike we were not paying guests but friends or family staying in their home.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robert C
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My brother and I stayed in the Boathouse in late October while on the hunt to see whales. The cabin was very cozy and actually hung out over the water. We woke to a beautiful sunrise and were able to enjoy our coffee and look out upon all sorts of animals out on the seascape.

The owners, Kim and Karl Bruder were kind and charming.

The ability to be "unplugged" and relax without media interruptions was very restful.
Right near the boathouse is a lovely library full of books and other interesting things.
There is a nice comfortable full sized bed in the back and my brother noted that the futon inthe front room was "a good one."

We hope to return again someday.

Room Tip: All cabins have a lovely water view, but we really enjoyed hanging out over the water in the Boathou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Boganvillas
SeaTac, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This year we stayed in the Boathouse (formerly referred to as the Net Loft). It is cozy and perfect for a couple on their own. Right out over the water with a great view (all cabins have a marvelous view) toward Spieden Island. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the deck for coffee in the morning and a glass of great San Juan wine in the evening. Comfortable bed, nice window seat for reading - a great visit. Back again next year!

Room Tip: If you have a group of six, take the San Juan cabin; for just two the Boathouse is ideal. During the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Velvet21
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was an amazing experience! It was our 10th wedding anniversary and we wanted to stay somewhere off the beaten path without any electronic interruptions that would force us to be cell phone and laptop free. This did it. The couple running the place were very accommodating and really sweet. You can tell they have pride in their destination and they should! It is perfect. The size is idea with only a few cabins. I have a feeling this will be a family favorite for years to come!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in the Net Loft over Memorial Day weekend. The loft was clean and the view was wonderful. I liked that the loft was away from the cabins, so it was like you had your own waterfront property. Each morning we would walk down to the water at low tide and explore the tide pools. That was so fun and a great teaching experience for my daughter. This isn't really a place for kids as it is more of a quiet retreat. It wasn't a problem for us as we only have 1 child but I could see how guests would be annoyed at loud playing children.

The library was great. I didn't see too much of the caretakers, but I knew I could contact them if I needed them. The property is on the other side of the island and there isn't anything nearby. You will need a car to stay here. The sunsets are wonderful to watch from the pier and a cute harbor seal hangs out at the pier after 10 PM.

Here are a few cons of the net loft: The frying pans are in poor condition. The non-stick ones were scratched and the other ones were very old and pretty gross aluminum pans. I would bring my own frying pan next time. The paper towels provided were very cheap and shredded with use. We went out to the store to buy our own. We chose the net loft because the bedroom was separate from the living room space, which we thought was ideal. When you have a kid that goes to bed two hours earlier than you do, having a separate room is a must. But, there are no doors so you weren't able to dampen the sound coming from the other room. Also, the door on the bathroom is just a folding wooden "screen". There is no privacy at all in the bathroom as you can see and hear everything in the bathroom when you are in the bedroom. I am not trying to be negative, I just want to inform you. I am a total germ-phobe, so I always rely on reviews. The loft, although old, was clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jill J
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this place. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we simply loved it here. The staff was super friendly and helpful – Kim, in particular. She went out of her way to make our stay as memorable as possible, and it definitely paid off. Our cabin was perfect – clean, cozy, and very well-appointed. It reminded both my wife and I of our respective childhood vacation spots. The furniture is a bit older, but not worn out – simply lived-in, like you might find in an old seaside cottage. The cabin had basically everything necessary for the perfect weekend – plenty of cookware, firewood, etc.

The view was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Most of the weekend we were watching the sun set over Victoria Island in Canada, or watching deer graze on Spieden Island across the channel (with a pair of binoculars that Kim lent us). Speaking of deer, we watched several out our back door one evening – not twenty feet away.

While it's not something I normally focus a lot on, the cleanliness of the place really blew me away. Lonesome Cove Resort seems to be billed as "rustic" on here, and I guess that's appropriate, but it was much better maintained than anything I could have imagined. The grounds remind me more of the Shire than of a wilderness retreat – every part of the property seemed to be groomed meticulously, and I swear that the grass always looked freshly cut, but I somehow never heard a mower. The inside of the cabin was downright spotless. Typical trouble areas such as the stovetop and areas between/behind appliances looked more than clean – they looked brand new. The bathroom was so clean it looked as if the woodwork around the shower was just installed the morning we arrived.

There is a library on site with tons of books, games, and puzzles. As others have mentioned, cell service is basically non-existent, (with the exception of Canadian roaming service, for some reason). This was strange at first, but by the time we left it felt more like a design choice than a nuisance, and greatly added to our experience.

In short, if we did nothing else on the island; or if someone told us that we had to spend a week here without leaving the property, I would say "only a week?" – it's that nice. It was the ideal spot to spend our first anniversary, and I hope we get to return someday.

Room Tip: Before going, I spent a lot of time researching the one with the "right" view. After havin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Deer Harbor Inn
Deer Harbor Inn
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor
4.0 of 5 stars 246 reviews

Been to Lonesome Cove Resort? Share your experiences!