“Worst experience - do not bring young children!”

Mistley Place Park Animal Rescue Centre
Colchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worst experience - do not bring young children!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had already seen reviews stating this place was a bit of a dive and the animals were aggresive, however decided to keep an open mind and visit anyway. It took 10 mins to get round the whole palce, and my 3-y-o son, who loves animals and wildlife,was petrified to say the least! The ducks, swans, geese and chickens appear ravenous and attack you for food, we bought bread for the ducks but had no choice but to feed them all as there was at least 100 swarming us, nipping and biting my son and my legs. The pigs fought over the food and seems uncared for and neglected, as well as a large goat that bit me as i walked by and looked miserable as sin to be cooped up in the small enclosure. The pony i saw barely moved, the turkey we walked by that was cooped up looked as though it was begging me to let it out and made the strangest noise when we walked away. The rabbits are cooped up in lots of hutches, all piled on top of eachother and not very well looked after conditions. Overall i would say the whole place is in SERIOUS need of some help, and is definately not a palce for small children to go to! Would definately not be visiting or recommending this place to anyone,purely to protect them from being bitten as we were.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Elly S

Dedham, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not a nice attraction but perhaps a good cause to support”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Visited for a cup of tea and a look around. Nice cafe, tasty drinks and friendly staff. With regards to the animal rescue obviously they don't have big sponsors but the rabbits are a cause for concern. The majority are kept in cramped, tiny hutches, too small to get anywhere near recommended welfare standards. They have no hay which is essential to their health and seeing as the livestock all had hay I don't understand this at all. The other animals were either free range or in large pens. Some concern over overcrowding but understandably better than no home at all. As a visitor attraction I didn't enjoy it but as a rescue they are doing great on the one hand and terribly on the other - just hope they sort the rabbits soon.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Christina G
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Nice mothers Day trip..”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

It was the first time we have visited this attraction and it was very exciting for the boys . They had great fun with the animals..sheeps, cocks, hen, swans and few more birds and animals ..

1 Thank Amir I
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Knocks the spots off Jimmys farm and a cheap day out for all ages.”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Started taking my sons here about 20 years ago. Now my daughter and step sons love it just as much. Be prepared to wear boots and get dirty, it's an animal rescue centre. I have now adopted my 2nd pet from them. It's great to see the animals all given one to one attention, the staff love the animals like their own, great seeing the dogs running around and socialising with each other. Tea room is first class and even though I would normally take a picnic on days out. I wouldn't here as they need as much money as they can.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank hedgehogx
essex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice little attraction”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Very reasonably priced, though remember its a rescue centre, not a zoo!! Lovely cafe that's very reasonably priced!

Visited March 2014