“Disappointing initially but got better...”

Manor House Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Killadeas B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointing initially but got better...”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Okay so my wife and I had been looking very much to our visit to this hotel as we had taken a drink in it a few years ago and had talked since about some day going to stay in it. We love the area and so it seemed like it would be the perfect stay. Unfortunately it wasn't….

We booked a mid week pick me up break. We were greeted by the reception staff and the check in process went well and we booked our dinner. We were greeted by the very helpful Mickey who brought our luggage up to our room and chatted to us and showed interest in my wife and I. So far so good!

We were well pleased with the initial appearance of the room and bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately this was quite undone by the view out the window… the car park, the side of one of the wings of the building and looking down, a workmans area with a green propane gas tank. Now bear in mind we are in Enniskillen area - the land of the beautiful Lough Erne. We called up reception and said that we "a little disappointed" with the view and asked about the possibility of another room with a better view but we were told there was none available (Mickey had told us there were only 71 staying in the hotel) and that junior suite was available for an extra 30 pounds a night (which they told us was a discount from 50 pounds extra a night). I kindly declined and continued to find a couple of other things that were missing that in my experience of four star hotels, come as standard… eg. a safe in the room and a minibar. I guess I felt that because I had taken the mid week "pick me up" break, I was "bargain basement" customer to the hotel - even though the literature in the room told me I was a "valued guest".

We unpacked and went down to the spa which we were well pleased with. No problems. Not too crowded and pleasant experience.

The next morning we went down to breakfast and we waited to be seated. We waited, and we waited, and unfortunately waited some more. Eventually we decided to take our seats ourselves and when we asked for our table to be cleared, the staff were terribly apologetic and were quick to arrange our table for us. We had to ask for a menu to be given to us and it was probably another 10 minutes before we were able to place our order. It appeared we weren't the only ones waiting either and it was clear others weren't happy. The pancakes and french toast that were supposed to be available were not replaced and so we went without that morning. The cooked aspect to our breakfast wasn't great either - a traditional Irish fry which was a bit dry. On the up side of this experience, the staff themselves such as Frances that morning were very helpful and friendly. I think something had gone wrong with that breakfast from a staffing point of view as our breakfast the next morning was much more organised although we did decide to forget the irish breakfast.

Our dinner that evening was, by contrast to our first breakfast experience, a complete success. My wife and I were exceedingly pleased with our greeting from Gerard who took us to our seats. We were then waited upon by Elizabeth who brought her charm and personality to her job as she took our orders and was exceedingly helpful with every request made. It was clear she enjoyed interacting with people as she was the same with other patrons in the room. The food itself was of a high quality and it was at this stage I could see why the restaurant had received it's Michelin rewards.

We then moved on to the Cocktail bar area and we were served by Jessica who it appears is bound to own her own cocktail bar as she put together a cocktail not on the menu but very enjoyable indeed! She also brought her own personality to her job and she showed interest in us as people and was keen to join in conversation. We are also grateful to the staff of the Manor House for allowing us to sing along to some music played on the guitar by another of the patrons in the bar area. The best night's craic for some time I can assure you!

The checkout experience was smooth and no problems were encountered.

So I think the things that have made this visit worthwhile have been the people working in the hotel. The restaurant and cocktail bar area experiences were great too. But I am left with a tinge of disappointment over the aforementioned room and breakfast experiences.

Room Tip: Be aware that if you choose the mid week pick me up break, you are likely to not get a great view an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Medixine
ManorHouseHotel, General Manager at Manor House Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Medixine,

I note your initial disappointment was based on your view. As with many hotels different views are had from different areas of the hotel and indeed the discounted upgrade room you declined commands spectacular views over Lough Erne. Information on rooms with views of the Lough are available via our website or indeed our reservation team are happy to discuss at time of booking, including all midweek breaks. Mini-bars and room safes are not standard requirements for a 4 star hotel, however we do offer such across a range of our room types.

There can be peak times in the restaurant for breakfast and we always aim to minimise any delays. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your dinner experience and that in the cocktail bar. It is gratifying that you found our staff engaging and I am delighted that you enjoyed the sing-song.

We look forward to seeing you again and don't forget the guitar!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just spent a wonderful evening at this hotel! Checked in at 1pm...room not ready but advised that we could avail of leisure facilities whilst waiting, Pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room all lovely. After a relaxing few hours checked in to our room, modern, clean and bright. Fabulous meal in the cellar restaurant, very attentive service with Cherylann particularly good. Ended evening in Cellar Bar where craic was good and excellent service continued.....Cheers Ross. Would highly recommend this Hotel for a special treat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ManorHouseHotel, General Manager at Manor House Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Deirdre H,

Thank you for your comments. Next time I hope you get the chance to stay for longer.
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stay here frequently on business. This is a top class hotel and is a beautiful location right on the shore of Lough Erne. Friendly staff, wonderful food and spotless comfortable rooms.
Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room on the side overlooking the lake. But rooms on the conference side are qu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear IrelandQuasar,

I was pleased to read that you stay with us frequently on business and that rate us so highly.
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Week end with my Mum and my sister.So looking forward to our ' girlie 'time!! Our room was absolutely beautiful,the service was excellent,the food in The Cellar bar was delicious but......
We were awakened on the 1st with very noisy people above us ....at 3am!It wasn't just their voices but the floor was so noisy.Accepting that some people were there to party we presumed our next evening would be ok but again the floor was so noisy and we could their conversations! I will go back but will definitely book top floor,corner room.....unless it is sound proofed in the meantime!
Such a pity because it is a beautiful hotel in magnificent setting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer K
ManorHouseHotel, General Manager at Manor House Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Jennifer K,

I am sorry to read that your sleep was disturbed by other guests. I can assure you that had you made us aware of this issue my night staff would have taken steps to deal with the issue. I am pleased to read that you will return in the future and we will make every effort to ensure a pleasant stay.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked this hotel my mum and i for a weekend treat. The hotel and surroundings are both stunning and its a great place to relax and unwind.

We booked into a deluxe room and it was amazing, huge window looking out onto the gardens and jetty. The room also sported a bath which had a built in tv on the wall, loved that!

The out door hot tub was also great and lesuire facilities were good too.

Food in the bistro restaurant was delicious, definitely recommend the steak baguette! The breakfast in the morning was great with a huge selection!

Overall it was a great stay and i would definitely recommend it!

Cant wait to book another stay here very soon!!

Room Tip: Room 106!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear TravelEnthusisast201,

Thank you for your comments and we too look forward to you returning soon.
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Have been going to this hotel for over 25 yrs (on and off) and have seen many changes - all good.

Right from check in when a porter helped carry our bags to our room to departure we found all the staff friendly, professional and very polite - from receptionists to those in Belleek dining room and Cellar bar and bistro.

The bathroom was a great size and included a built in television (however no walk in shower which was unfortunate as our party consisted of a 64 yr old, 74 yr old and 84 yr old with mobility problems).However, I have to admit to not advising the hotel of this on booking!

A fabulous' fine dining' meal was included in our deal and was aptly named.

An early morning walk around the extensive gardens is a must.

We'll be back!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear BaggiesOK,

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased to read that you have been visiting for so many years. We do have many rooms with walk in showers, so when you are returning please let us know and we will be able to accommodate.
Dublin
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My hubby and I have just returned from the Manor House hotel after spending a weekend there as a little babymoon before bump no 2 arrives. The warm welcome at reception set a very nice tone for the entire weekend where all staff were extremely friendly, professional and polite. The estate itself has been in existance for hundreds of years so the hotel's layout is rather complicated - as a result of a number of extensions over the years. The porter who showed us to our room gave us a quick tour to start with which made things much easier. The dining room, lobby, residence lounge and bar area on the ground floor were beautifully decorated and very relaxing spaces.

The meals served in the hotel were delicious - the best being breakfast and the evening meal in the Dining Room. We both had treatments in the Spa on Saturday. The treatments themselve were fantastic - definitely up there with some of the best we've had - pregnancy relfexology for me and destress massage for hubby. The Spa is actually a treatment room and doesn't have any other facilities normally found in hotel spas such as relaxation areas etc....however i've often been to hotel with amazing facilities but very poor treatments - this experience was the absolute opposite, so if I had to choose I'd rather have a therapist as competent as Joan, as opposed to having somewhere to sit and relax afterwards......

A couple of suggestions for improvement however...the entrances to the Cellar Bar in particular and the gym were quite tired looking and were in need of some attention. See also the comments on the Spa area....In addition, similar to one of the other reviewers, I was rather surprised there wasn't complimentary water in the rooms. Also we were offered our choice of newspapers both mornings - in my experience this has always been complementary so I was a little surprise and slightly miffed when we were charged for them - it wasn't the additional cost, but more so the fact that what's standard in most hotels, was charged for in this one...

However over all - we really enjoyed our stay - we were in one of the Executive Rooms which was extremely comfortable - gorgeous sheets, very clean, blackout curtins and some delicious biscuits which helped with the midnight munchies for this mummy! We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: There were 2 weddings on over the weekend we were there. While we didn't hear any noise once ins...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManorHouseHotel, General Manager at Manor House Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear mrscmac2b,

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and have noted your suggestions.

I look forward to you visiting us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killadeas
Lough Erne Resort
#1 of 1 in Clogher
Mahon's Hotel
Mahon's Hotel
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown

Been to Manor House Country Hotel? Share your experiences!