“The best Middle-Eastern food in Penang”

khayrat al-sham Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Gelugor
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Turkish
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This has to be the best location for Middle Eastern. It is situated in what seems to be an Arab enclave at the Ivory Mall in Gelugor. I was blown out to see the row of restaurants on the plaza, several of them serving middle-eastern fare.

The menu is extensive, but we arrived late, so chicken kebab was the only meat option still available. It was good chicken and really nicely prepared, and came with a yummy plate of humus/tahini mix (see my photos).

Prices are also very reasonable here, compared to those in Batu Ferringhi or Precinct 10.
Next time we will come earlier and order the lamb. I am a lover of Middle-Eastern food, so finding Al Shami for me was exciting.

There is also another middle-eastern restaurant, run by a Syrian family over the road in the Piazza Mall. It’s much smaller (not listed on TA), and is more like home cooking. It is also very good and worth a try if you are in the area. I can’t remember what it’s called, but it is on street level outside the Mall complex next to another café.

When looking for Khayrat Al-Sham, be aware that on the street signage is written “Al Shami”. Parking is along the street, and shouldn't be too difficult. It was busy when we were there, but we managed to find a park right out front.

If you've found this review helpful please give me a helpful vote, …thank you!

5  Thank Kanan A