“Surprise gem!”

Nook & Cranny Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Got to a vacation rental later than planned, so opted for going out to the only option close by. Wow...what a surprise! Ignore--or love--the exterior, but don't pass it by. Step inside to a quaint, funky little French/Italian/Mediterranean kitsch-filled dining room and settle in for a treat. I kept it simple, with tasty, port-flavored onion soup and creamy, cheesy Coquille St. Jacques. The scallops were perfectly cooked, tender and sweet. Topped it off with Scotch pot de Creme, which was oh-my-god good. This dandy little place also has sandwiches, hot fudge sundaes and other goodies--all reasonably priced. Don't miss it.....

There are newer reviews for Nook & Cranny Restaurant

Reviewed September 1, 2014

We've driven by this restaurant many times and never dreamt that we would give it a try due to it exterior until a friend tipped us off about what it was like on the inside . This small restaurant is packed with wonderful food,reasonable prices,and an elegant atmosphere . French,Italian ,Greek,Mexican entrees . A great place for a family or a romantic meal . We haven't been this excited about a restaurant in a long time . Can't wait to take our friends there.

Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Had the definite pleasure of having brunch at the the Nook & Cranny restaurant.

I have been driving past this place for a year or more, never knowing much about it. Decided to give their brunch a try.

Wow! The food was fantastic and the decor was quaint. Want to go back for dinner to try their full menu.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

An unimposing exterior hides a lovely dining spot with very good food. The menu is very diverse with main courses from France, Italy, Greece, USA and, of course, local favorites in Downeast Maine and a "modest" wine list, all reasonably priced. The seafood items we tried were excellently prepared and presented, including an outstanding medley of fresh vegetables that was cooked to order. The diners around us raved about their meals from starters to desserts. The service was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly.

Given the paucity of fine dining establishments in Washington County, Maine, Nook & Cranny is not to be missed for a very good meal!!

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed in Alexander Maine for a week and we drove by the Nook and Cranny many times. Our last night of vacation we decided to try it, we were hesitant because of the exterior, but once we stepped inside I was glad we decided to try it. The atmosphere was cozy, and inviting. The menu is varied with lots of choices, and a children's menu. We tried calamari, steamers and chorizo fritters as appetizers, all were very good. I had haddock almondine for my entree, very tasty. My mom enjoyed her salmon with shrimp, my dad had the eggplant parmesan, and my husband had the braised lamb. All were pleasantly surprised by the quality and taste of the food. My mom and I had dessert, she had raspberries over ice cream, the berries were warm and delicious. I had the maine blueberry ice cream, oh so good. I am glad we tried this restaurant, don't judge a book by its cover! If we come back to this area again I will return. Our server Bethany was great and very accommodating to our 4 year old and brought him fruit.