“Suprisingly good for Calais/St.Stephen”

Nook & Cranny Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Went here in December when visiting family in area.

Place is out in the middle of nowhere ( ie. about 5 or 6 miles up route 9 towards BGR). I was expecting very little and walked in to a bright, cheery place with a shockingly extensive menu ( everything from seafood to Tex/Mex to Italian-based dishes ).

After some basic appetizers, a marguerita and a glass of cheap but drinkable red wine I spotted lamb shank on the menu so I thought I'd give it a try and it was actually pretty good.

We all had desserts which were fairly large quantities.

After the meal ( and being suprised that such a restaurant existed near St.Stephen/Calais ) we asked to speak with the chef. He came out and talked to us and was a nice guy - turns out he's from Ottawa.

The only negative was that our server charged me about a 20 per cent gratuity/service charge on our table of 5 ( which is alot for a restaurant in the middle of nowhere ).

But still a reasonable place to go in the border area, considering the bleak options in St.Stephen and limited places in Calais besides Yancy's ( if it's still open .........).

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We live in Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada. We eat at the Nook & Cranny Restaurant whenever we are in Calais or driving through. We love the food, we have tried different dishes from the menu and have always enjoyed everything from appetizers, soups, main courses to desserts. We highly recommend the Nook & Cranny.

1  Thank delicious4405
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had the spinach and artichoke dip and it was very good! The menu has something for everyone and is prepared by a chef who knows his business. The waitress was wonderful. Our entree was excellent along with the salads! The portions are huge so there was no way we could indulge in desserts. The outside is a complete mess, but the inside is amazing, warm and comfy. Would def recommend to family and friends.

1  Thank Memelisb
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We frequently enjoy a meal here & have almost always been pleased. Our last experience was a bit disappointing. They were under-staffed & the server, although trying her best, was becoming rattled. Our order was taken quickly & drinks followed in a timely manner. Our disappointment began with the French Onion soup, as an app. Both of our soups were so salty that we could not eat them. When I politely mentioned this to a "helper" or "hostess" assisting our waitress, I was told that "the other tables had it & they did not complain". Having worked as a server myself, I know that her answer was completely inappropriate. I could have left my uneaten bowl of soup & not mentioned it, however, wouldn't the cook who would have had other "batches" of soup prepped, appreciate the feedback? I would think so. It is possible that others did have soup that was fine but that would be b/c they wouldn't have had the same "batches". This helper basically in a roundabout way accusing me of lying about the soup since, afterall, the other table liked it. I was definitely not impressed. An apology would have been sufficient. B/c they were understaffed, my companion's salad did not arrive. We had to ask for it. As well, I was missing a part of my order & needed to ask for it. The other food was fine. Just disappointed with the helper/hostess & her attitude.

1  Thank Colishis
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After passing the Nook and Cranny Restaurant dozens of times on our way to Bangor and after hearing that the food was good, we finally stopped for lunch.
The pace was rather small with all sorts of thigs attached to the walls including plastic grapes. That seemed OK but the smell of oil as we entered the place was somewhat overpowering. We still decided to have lunch.
My wife ordered the Crab Dip as an appitizer (it turned out to be far too "fishy" for her to eat. I ordered the French Onion Soup which was reallyfine but nothing special for $6.00. Our main courses were seafood bisque and a simple hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes. My wife thought the seafood dish was good and I felt the sandwich was about the same as any diner in any city. We didn't have desert.
In all, I would rate the Nook and Cranny C to C-......nothing at all special.

1  Thank ARTarea51