“A hole in the wall, but not to be missed!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nook & Cranny Restaurant

Nook & Cranny Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Farmingdale, ME
“A hole in the wall, but not to be missed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Having driven by this many times on my way to Calais, I always cringed when I saw the outside. It seems very run down and dirty from the outside. However, after reading reviews on here I decided to check it out. I was glad we did! First its in the middle of nowhere. My relative told me that it was like another world inside, and she wasn't kidding. Cozy, decorated well, and clean. The menu was fairly vast with seafood, steak, pizza, and Italian. The appetizers were less than stellar, but I could overhear diners next to us who'd driven from Canada. I ordered the broiled scallops, bake potato, and vegetables, and bread came along with it. I wouldn't say it was the best meal I ever had, but it was very satisfying. My husband had eggplant parm, and also enjoyed it. I would definitely go there again, and its certainly an example of not "judging a book by its cover!" Check it out if you are in the area.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrsMFarmingdale_ME

Zephyrhills, Florida
“Great Lamb Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a place that from the outside you would probably never stop at, however, looks are deceiving. The food is good and the staff are friendly.

1 Thank gmumme
Albany, New York
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

A strange place. In the middle of absolutely nowhere. It is beyond a dump on the outside. It looks like it was made from an old trailer. When you walk inside, however, they have managed to make the place look decent. It is kind of weird. Then the menu has seafood, greek, mexican, italian, pretty much everything in the universe. I got fish and chips, one friend got fajitas, and another friend got a greek dish. We all were happy with our food. They also had a dessert board with 13 desserts listed on it. They really serve everything. I would go again.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank BruceBe
New Glasgow, Canada
“AMAZING FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FOOD!!! Soooo glad it was recommended to us! Will definitely be returning and telling everyone about it!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jeannette S
Robbinston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afterthought Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were heading south from the Calais area with a 2-hour trip in front of us. First, we'd stop for a late-afternoon lunch at a restaurant in Calais, a place we had been before. The atmosphere is nice, the people just as nice and the food pretty good. We've always been happy there. As it turns out the Calais restaurant didn't open until 4. So, by default, we continued on to the Nook. How was that an afterthought? We'd been there before and didn't like the place. We didn't like the food. We loved the place--every time. And the food was world class--every single time! I ordered the seafood crepe, she ordered the seafood pasta. Both dishes were as good as it gets. I don't care where you're from and how many restaurants you have to choose from--try either dish and I doubt you can do better anywhere. The food is crazy great. The prices are ridiculously low (sure hope the owner doesn't read this--but we'd pay more for the incredible meals they always turn out). We warmed up with steamed mussels. The only complaint is they didn't serve enough bread to sop up the broth. The broth could be a stand-alone appetizer (well, you'd need bread to sop it up). Actually we asked our very nice waiter, Charles, for bread and he promptly brought it. If you've never been to the Nook, don't let the exterior trailer/diner/take-out stand appearance fool you. The interior is wonderfully decorated. It's comfortable and easily coaxes you to relax and enjoy your company and your meal. The Nook is a not-so-hidden anymore jewel. It's a treasure and a pleasure. Well done as usual and thank you.

• Visited July 2012