“Nice location, nice lunch. Much had improved.”
Review of Tyrifjord Hotell

Tyrifjord Hotell
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vikersund
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stopped for lunch a Sunday afternoon. Had been here a few times before, but was not impressed. This time though, it was all much better.

The location is off course the same, with the nice view at the Tyrifjorden Lake. The buffet style lunch was far better than last time, and the service too was upped.

Not the largest of choices, but fresh and tasty. The fish and the meat tender, and they even had a go on some sushi (points for trying, but it didn't fly...).

An other disappointment was the crayfish. Most of them were so small I bet they were not legal to catch. Those few who had the size were virtually tasteless. Try your own food once in a while, cause that's not good enough!

Okay, apart from that, the rest was good. What lifted it from 3 to 4 stars from me, was solely the dessert dept. It was great. Lot's of homemade sweets and puddings, a real treat for a Norwegian!

So, all in all, a lot better than my last visits, the food way better (but can still improve), and the service better as well, but can also still improve.

Room Tip: Just had lunch this time, but try getting lake view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leon_Norway

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed one night here on our way back to Oslo airport. This hotel is largely used for conferences and I imagine that that's why they were renovating in the summer. I hope when they have finished that the rooms will have better sound proofing, air conditioning and a lift to the lower floor. We were warned by the staff I arrival about the fly problem, because the weather had been wet, then very hot and the hotel is by a lake. However, despite not opening the windows at all, the room was full of flies, with dead flies all over the floor. On the Sunday evening, we ate in the restaurant: the meal was very nice( if incredibly expensive) , but we had the distinct impression that the staff didn't want us to be there. Had a poor night's sleep because of the heat and the flies, but the breakfast next day was very good and the ( different) staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

this hotel have nice lookout at the lake, but the expesive price 1200nok - $204 or 154 euro plus that they unde renovation now, its depressing. no elevetor in the hotel. the hotel i stand alonr not in the city
but good breakfaet

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at this hotel in September this year. The Hotel itself is not extrodinary in any way, free WiFi, Dining, a Bar, Rooms may need an update, but they are clean and serviceable, but wanted to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the people.

I arrived very late, and the check in staff was very pleasant. I had a problem with the room, the TV did not work, and the WiFi signal wasn't sufficient to connect. (I was notified that these issues have subsequently addressed.)

Andre was very helpful, and moved me to another room, where he verified both the TV and the WiFi were working well.

He was also very accommodating when, due to jet lag, I couldn't sleep, taking time from his duties at 3am and making me a pot of coffee, and taking time he could have been working to visit with me and keep me company. He is a very great example of hospitality with a smile!

The entire staff were some of the most gracious hotel employees I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Always smiling and helpful, even going so far as to help me read the menu in the dining room. Even though they had a huge group in for a business meeting, they didn't make me feel like a nuisance and although it was just two ladies working, the service was excellent.

Other members of the staff were very pleasant, even helping me to find a quiet place to get dinner in Amot when I wanted to get out one evening, and didn't get frustrated when I couldn't program my GPS with the address, they just smiled anddrew me a map, and followed up later to make sure I found it ok.

My company travels occasionally to Kongsberg for our business, and although the distance between Vikersund and Kongsberg is a draw back, the limited hotel space in Kongsberg means occasionally we will have to stay other places.

When I cant stay in Kongsberg I will gladly come back to visit this fine facility and its amazing staff, and tell others who may be in the same situation the same thing! (by this review!)

The 45 minute drive to Kongsberg is very beautiful, and the traffic isn't bad, the your facility is a great alternative when needed.

The facility is very neat and clean, but what really makes the location is the staff!!

I travel extensively, and have stayed many places, and this facility is among the best, and that is because of the people.

I would like to say I very much enjoyed visiting the Tyri-Fjord Hotel in Vikersund, and would do so again gladly!!

Room Tip: The closer to the lobby the better the WiFi!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We arrived at this hotel late and I had made a reservation for supper and they asked if we would be dining with them and I told them that we had gotten a late start that day and it was too late for us to eat and the woman at the front desk was so nice. She asked where we were from and where we were going in Norway. Our room was very nice, with plenty of room, which is rare in most hotels in Norway. It had a small desk, refrigerator and coffee maker. We had a nice view of the lake, which is not really a fjord, but they call it one. :-) We met some relatives there in the morning for breakfast and it was a very nice buffet. For people that can't walk far, I would mention this when you make your reservation, as we had to carry our bags downstairs and then we walked a long way to our room. You might want to ask for a closer room and maybe one on the main floor. It was a very quiet hotel, even with a teacher's conference going on. The beds were not the most comfortable, but we did sleep. If we were to travel through the Vikersund area again, we would stay here.

Room Tip: Any problems with walking, should request a room on the main floor. It's a very long hotel. A wa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Tyrifjord hotell is located right on the banks of Tyrifjorden, and looks over to Vikersund. Surrounded by beautiful nature, it is an excellent place to go for a conference.

It is as a conference hotel this hotel really shines. They have meeting rooms in many different sizes, and can accomodate anything from a small group to a school band.

Like most conference hotels in Norway, Tyrifjord hotell's second forte is their kitchen. Serving three excellent meals per day, there really is no need to look anywhere else for your dining needs.

The staff are pleasant and professional, while adding a personal touch that was very welcome.

The rooms are a decent size, with clean baths and an OK selection of channels on the TV.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Tyrifjord Hotel has an excellent restaurant with great food. Although the breakfast is somewhat traditional, the lunch has a great variety and especially fantastic desserts. Dinner ist great as well.

I was disappointed with the room which was obviously old. To welcome me in the room in January without any heating (it was freezing), not even in the bathroom, was a disappointment. When I turned on the old electric oven it made such a noise that I had to turn it off again to be able to sleep.

In the morning I took a shower in the big spacy bathroom. The shower was old and difficult to balance the hot water. I did not like the fact that the hotel has no dispensers for shampoo or soap, In a double room (okay, I was alone) there should be more shampoo or soap available.

Well, I didn't spend much time in the room, so I managed all right. Because of the stiff prices in the minibar, I definitely recommend that you buy all you need at the nearest store (Rema 1000) in Vikersund.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vikersund
Sundvolden Hotel
#1 of 2 in Honefoss
Norefjell Ski & Spa
Norefjell Ski & Spa
#1 of 5 in Noresund

Been to Tyrifjord Hotell? Share your experiences!