“NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 1st Bed

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bexleyheath
1st Bed
Ranked #2 of 3 Bexleyheath B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I must admit it is true to say that no matter how hard you try you can not please everyone. we had not seen my family who live in bexley for a long while. so my family and I stayed at this 1stbed guesthouse over the long jubilee weekend and even though it was not 4 or 5 star it was clean and the staff were fantastic very warm and welcoming. The breakfast we were served was plentyful cakes, cereals, ham, cheese and pancakes no one was more surprised than I and it was very convenient from bexley. I can say to anyone who would consider the 1stbed guesthouse to pop in and see it for themselves, you would be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: en-suite rooms are really comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sharon S, General Manager at 1st Bed, responded to this review, April 5, 2015
Dear Blossomhill,

Given some reviews received of a more negative nature, as with other positive guest reviews received, your review is indeed a motivation for my team and i, and is greatly appreciated as we strive to improve the facility and our offering.

Sharon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked for a week, based on the website and emailed assurances from them that the family suite would be fine for our autistic five year old. The family suite is basically one long basement room, Damp and smelling strongly of mould and cheap air freshner, with broken door glass, broken locks, and people smoking heavily outside the door, with the smoke coming into the room. Breakfast was stale and unpleasant. It was totally unsuitable and not as promised, and we had to leave, despite their refusal to refund our money. There is no way the positive reviews above can be genuine, the building is dirty, worn out, dangerous and unhygienic, and anyone who thinks it's "awesome" and a "home away from home" has interesting standards.

• Stayed October 2011
8 Thank annieje

Travelers are raving about these Bexleyheath hotels

Bexley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

The 1st Bed and Breakfast was my first stop in the UK. I stayed there one week while looking for a flat of my own. While the rooms were comfortable and I had everything that I needed they were not overly lavish. The continental breakfast was good and the use of fridges for personal groceries was great, so you do not always have to eat out. The workers there are more than helpful. Manager Sharon helped me get a mobile phone and internet access. Whenever I had a question she was more than happy to answer or find someone who could help me. Maids were very nice and provided you with anything that you asked for. Overall it was a pleasant stay and would reccommend it if you are looking for short term cheap place to stay that is not overly fancy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Aimee B
Sharon S, Manager at 1st Bed, responded to this review, April 5, 2015
Dear Aimie,

Thank you for choosing 1st Bed as a guesthouse.Given our modest offering, we're glad to have met your basic needs for short term accommodation.... your positive comments are indeed enlightening....

March, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

More of a working man's hostel than a Guest House but options in the area are very limited. I have stayed here on a couple of occasions and for a contractor away from it is a better option than the more expensive “Budget Hotels”. When I first arrived I thought OMG I can't possibly stay here, inadequate blinds at the windows, thin duvets & pillows but after I'd had a superb shower and connected to the free wifi I started to see things in a better light.

There are some very good points, Sharon the receptionist is very welcoming. There is plenty of tea & coffee in rooms. The towels and bedding are beautifully laundered. Given the overall cheap & shoddy finishes and general state of disrepair the rooms are remarkably clean. There are fridges and microwaves in various locations which is ideal for those of us working away from home. It is in a good location, within easy reach of the town centre and it's restaurants.

On the downside, obviously the minimum has been spent on furnishing and general conversions. Even in one of the show cased “better” rooms the bathroom door was broken and the sink coming away from the wall. In general the standard of DIY is extremely poor. I can't comment on the self-catering rooms but the facilities in the other rooms are highly variable. All the latches have been removed from the door locks so you can't securely lock the door at night. I certainly wouldn't leave anything of value in my room. There are no shelves or towel rails in the bathroom.

The carpeting throughout is very thin which doesn't help with the general noise. The quality of your stay depends very much on who else is staying at the time. 1st bed is on a very quiet street so between everyone going to bed and getting up it is possible to have a good nights sleep. In general it is used by working men, who tend to be up very early so don't expect to sleep in.

Breakfast is pretty basic and I should imagine later in the morning things like the juices and yogurts will all be gone.

It feels like the owners are real skinflints and whoever is running/managing the place is doing the best they can on a tiny budget. This definitely isn't a good option for couples or families. For what it is, it is over priced but there is very little in the way of competition in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank MrsThrog
Sharon S, General Manager at 1st Bed, responded to this review, April 5, 2015
Dear Mrs Throg,

Your comments within your review gives us hope that there are some things being done right whilst the negative sentiment is a reminder that we've still some way to go! We're sincerely appreciative of your complete honesty and look forward to beefing up our facility for any future stay by yourself or other guests both regulars and new guests at 1st Bed Guesthouse.

Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

You probably get what you pay for! If you want reasonably budget B&B, this is probably the best value you will get in the area. We paid £70 per night B&B for two people. Although we booked a double bedded en-suite room, we were given a large basement room which was in the form of a self catering flat which could accommodate four persons, and so we had lots of room. It was basically clean, and warm (they did have to replace one heater which was not working), but rather basic, and certainly in no way luxurious. The chairs provided were of the white plastic fold away type, and so not very comfortable. The lighting was poor and barely adequate. Some of the electrical wall sockets were loose, and I doubt if they were safe. There was no information in the room, including no instructions about what to do in the event of fire, and so I guess this was illegal. Breakfast is self service, and basic. The information given is that it is a continental breakfast, and there is a variety of cereals, breads, ham and cheese, which are all in tupperware type containers, and hence not set out nicely. The mugs, plates etc were of the paper disposible type, and the cutlery was plastic There was some fresh fruit availalble. You are told that there is off street parking at the rear of the property, but there is no where near enough space for the number of bedrooms. Parking on the road is not free from 8.30am to 5.30pm. It seems that the majority of guests are workmen, and perhaps the place is mainly geared up for them! In the morning there is a gathering of staff smoking in an outside smoking area, and it is not a pleasant sight! The welcome we received was friendly and helpful. If we stay in the area again I would probably pay another £10 or £20 per night and try and get somewhere better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M G
Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

***Pleasantly Surprised*** I was very pleasantly surprised when I stayed at 1st Bed from 7/10/2011 to 9/10/2011. I was in London from South Africa for a friend's wedding, I found out about this place online and was scepticle about staying here. Once checked in my sceptism soon evaporated. The warmth I received from Sharon and company was awesome. I felt quiet at home and woukd definately recommend 1st bed to my peers. Thanks a million Sharon. All the best [----]

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Aadila L
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Utterly disgusting and quite easily the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying at. Looking at the website I was excited to stay there but was sadly let down as the website contained a lot of outright lies. I am quite convinced that a lot of the positive reviews are made by friends of the B&B's owners.

I have uploaded some photos of my room!

Here are the main points.
• The rooms were filthy and cheaply built.
• The kettle and electronics were all bundled in the same corner making for an extremely dangerous combination.
• The bed was uncomfortable and the pillow was poor.
• The "continental" breakfast was a JOKE, just ramshackle kitchen area with tubs of stale food, which if you do not get up early enough is all gone by 9
• Most importantly I felt very unsafe despite there being CCTV cameras on almost every corner. The reason for this was that the entrances to the B&B were unlocked and flimsy and the door to my room had a gap of about 1cm between the door and wall.

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
9 Thank will m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexleyheath
Premier Inn London Bexleyheath Hotel
Campanile Dartford
Campanile Dartford
#7 of 7 in Dartford
Premier Inn London Eltham Hotel

Been to 1st Bed? Share your experiences!