“An average guesthouse at a reasonable price”
Review of 1st Bed

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bexleyheath
1st Bed
Ranked #2 of 4 Bexleyheath B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2011

You probably get what you pay for! If you want reasonably budget B&B, this is probably the best value you will get in the area. We paid £70 per night B&B for two people. Although we booked a double bedded en-suite room, we were given a large basement room which was in the form of a self catering flat which could accommodate four persons, and so we had lots of room. It was basically clean, and warm (they did have to replace one heater which was not working), but rather basic, and certainly in no way luxurious. The chairs provided were of the white plastic fold away type, and so not very comfortable. The lighting was poor and barely adequate. Some of the electrical wall sockets were loose, and I doubt if they were safe. There was no information in the room, including no instructions about what to do in the event of fire, and so I guess this was illegal. Breakfast is self service, and basic. The information given is that it is a continental breakfast, and there is a variety of cereals, breads, ham and cheese, which are all in tupperware type containers, and hence not set out nicely. The mugs, plates etc were of the paper disposible type, and the cutlery was plastic There was some fresh fruit availalble. You are told that there is off street parking at the rear of the property, but there is no where near enough space for the number of bedrooms. Parking on the road is not free from 8.30am to 5.30pm. It seems that the majority of guests are workmen, and perhaps the place is mainly geared up for them! In the morning there is a gathering of staff smoking in an outside smoking area, and it is not a pleasant sight! The welcome we received was friendly and helpful. If we stay in the area again I would probably pay another £10 or £20 per night and try and get somewhere better.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank M G

Reviewed October 16, 2011

***Pleasantly Surprised*** I was very pleasantly surprised when I stayed at 1st Bed from 7/10/2011 to 9/10/2011. I was in London from South Africa for a friend's wedding, I found out about this place online and was scepticle about staying here. Once checked in my sceptism soon evaporated. The warmth I received from Sharon and company was awesome. I felt quiet at home and woukd definately recommend 1st bed to my peers. Thanks a million Sharon. All the best [----]

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Aadila L
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Utterly disgusting and quite easily the worst place I have ever had the displeasure of staying at. Looking at the website I was excited to stay there but was sadly let down as the website contained a lot of outright lies. I am quite convinced that a lot of the positive reviews are made by friends of the B&B's owners.

I have uploaded some photos of my room!

Here are the main points.
• The rooms were filthy and cheaply built.
• The kettle and electronics were all bundled in the same corner making for an extremely dangerous combination.
• The bed was uncomfortable and the pillow was poor.
• The "continental" breakfast was a JOKE, just ramshackle kitchen area with tubs of stale food, which if you do not get up early enough is all gone by 9
• Most importantly I felt very unsafe despite there being CCTV cameras on almost every corner. The reason for this was that the entrances to the B&B were unlocked and flimsy and the door to my room had a gap of about 1cm between the door and wall.

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
9  Thank will m
Reviewed September 11, 2011

we stayed there for one night and for some reason she put us in a family room which smelt of mustiness and bleach it was awful and made me feel sick we were to late to change because of a celebration we had to go to so we went to bed and both thought shall we just get up and go home but we could not because of drinking and driving but first thing in the morning i was up and outta there we did not stop for the supposed "continental breakfast"whicn were all in outside buildings through sort of annexes.
We met a couple coming out the same as us and asked about the breakfast he said it was stale cornflakes and stale bread it was all do it yourself for £65 per night i expect a hell of a lot more than this disgusting

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank margaret p
Reviewed August 13, 2011

1st Bed was a poor choice for our visit with our young child to Bexleyheath.

It serves its market very well - men who're working away and long-distance drivers who want somewhere cheap to stay for the time they're away from home.

In my view, it is not a suitable B&B for families or couples.

Our experience (having specifically asked about noise as we were travelling with a child and been told that our room would be quiet) was of a room with a slamming external door directly outside that woke our child every few minutes until late in the evening when she had cried herself into exhaustion.

Men were shouting, drinking and burping in the corridors late in the evening. Men were smoking everywhere (outside only) and the room had a bed that could only be described as comedy-level squeaky (creaks loud enough to wake you if you twitch your toes) - it had been broken and poorly repaired. I was woken several times throughout the night by the various sources of noise, despite wearing earplugs.

The room was also not particularly clean, with used cotton buds under one of the beds and two plug-in room fragrancers to combat the mustiness. The room was musty because you could not open some of the windows as the blinds in front of them were broken and had to stay closed. To be fair, the kitchen area and bathroom were very clean and there were lots of towels provided.

One window in our room had no blind or curtain, so we woke up at 5.30am in broad daylight.

In my view it is not cheap either, for what you get. We were booked in and pre-paid in cash (upon their request) for two nights and only stayed one. We explained our complaint before leaving, but were not given a refund for the second night. I subsequently wrote to the manager and received no response.

My recommendation: Stay somewhere else instead, if you want a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Sisemen

Been to 1st Bed? Share your experiences!