“Unexpected but pleasant surprise, great...”
Review of Misibis Bay Resort

Misibis Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cagraray Island
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Unexpected but pleasant surprise, great staff top notch facilities

Reviewed June 29, 2010

From beginning to end, this vacation was fantastic!!

The Misibis team handled our reservations flawlessly, and upon arrival, had our welcoming team ready and waiting to give us our city tour, before proceeding to the Resort.

The guide assigned to us for the tour, who also was our guide throughout all our activities at the resort was the nicest and friendliest person you could ask for. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the province, as well as all the places we visited on our city tour. During the outdoor activities, he definitely made our two boys feel very confident on the windsurfs, Hobies and ATVs. He was a definite plus to our whole trip.

From there it was on to the Resort, via land. The trip from the city takes about 1 hour by car/van, through winding roads, but the resort also has Fastcraft transfer which takes about 30 minutes, weather and sea conditions permitting.

Upon arrival at the Resort, we were greeted with the traditional Ibalon dance, given welcome drinks and cookies while checking in. The receptionist also gave us a short "briefing" about the facilities of the Resort, what time lunch and dinner was and what kind of activities we could look forward to. Most importantly, she walked us to our fantastic room, where we opened the door to find the living room all ready for our stay, complete with two giant cookies for the boys.

Our room/villa was very nice, clean and tastefully appointed. It was definitely the best one I have stayed in so far in the Philippines. We found out from the GM later on that the beds are called "Evil Beds", and I quickly understood why. I didn't want to leave the bed once we got a feel of it. But the, there was so much more to do outdoors.

Our Escapade package included a City Tour, Introductory Dive, ATV Adventure, Island hopping, Bottom Fishing, Windsurfing, Snorkeling, a sunset cruise, cave exploration, Hobie Cats, and about 20 more activities we could choose from daily. Every night, the activities coordinator would come and ask us what we wanted to do the next day, and was very accommodating about all our last minute changes. I definitely recommend the ATV Adventure, where you ride around the off-road areas of the resort. At one point, you literally reach the high point of the ride, where we stopped to take in the fantastic view of the sea and neighboring islands. We also wanted to do the cave exploration, but decided to forego that for a future trip as it entailed rappelling down to the bottom of the cave and we felt that our boys were nit yet up to such a physical experience. On each activity, a guide is always present to make sure you get the complete experience. They also bring coolers with bottled water and cold towels, and always seemed to know the exact moment to offer the cold towels.

Back at the resort, the 3 pools (Infinity, Lagoon and Kiddie) were waiting to cool us off from our off-road adventure. They did not disappoint as we sent about half of our waking hours each day in any one of the three pools.

BTW, our package also featured full buffets for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, and like the pools, the food did not disappoint either. Lunch was always my favorite. I personally like the "stations" that they had aside from the buffet, where the chefs would whip up any number of local delicacies. All this was complemented by a fantastic and friendly crew from the F&B team who always made it a point to ask us if there was anything more we wanted or needed. A nice touch also was that each afternoon, the staff would leave a tray, or sampler of local sweets for us the whet out appetites before dinner. Just one of those small nice touches that makes the resort what it is.

So I’ve covered the rooms, the facilities, the activities and the staff – all passed with flying colors. In my opinion, the only negative to the whole vacation was that we had to leave so soon. But that's my biased opinion because we had such a great time. The whole Misibis team made it a memorable experience for us. The nameplates on their uniforms say "At Your Service" and they all take pride in that.

3 nights was definitely not enough and I am looking forward to our next visit to Misibis.

For more pictures and a better feel of our experience, go to my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toekneeo/

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank toekneeo
Reviewed June 22, 2010

On my recent visit to Legazpi,Albay I was very much surprised by the development of this city.Modern houses are built.Roads are well maintained and travelling around is fast and easy.I was even more impressed when I went to Misibis Bay Resort.The experience was like being locked into a timeless dimension in which the sun and the sea became my best buddies.Voila the food is a masterpiece and service was extraordinary.Being an overseas Filipino worker, I am so proud that my country has this jewel that will make its citizen anywhere in the world heads-up in telling other nationalities about this milieu, the community and its people.Returning to this paradise is a must!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Stayed 2 nights and 3 days at the resort with my fiance. We enjoyed the stay a lot. We tried scuba diving, ATV, Hobie cat, kayaking and snorkling. However there was not many fish to see because of earlier dynamite fishing that have destryed a lot of coral.We enjoyed the Bicol food and the service was very good.Where however some problems with our booking.We met a sales rep in Legazpie and sorted everything out 4 days before our stay. Papers were signed etc.The 2nd night she called and told we got a more expensive room than we paid for and asked us to pay an additional fee of 4000 ps.It was her mistake and I did not agree to pay because we already agreed on the price.The second thing was that we already had to leave 11 am the last day but according to the contract the stay was 2 nights and 3 days. Despite this we had a wonderful stay at the resort.

1  Thank graan
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Play Hard, Live Life is the only thing i can think of when we stayed in Misibis Bay . For me this is the best hotel i have ever been to. Misibis bay isn't just a resort...its heaven !!!! I personally Congratulate all the staff of the hotel for their excellent service, they would really make you feel king and queen of their palace..They have lots of activities from indoor to outdoor, for kids to oldies......its truly an experience on its own. Even my 2 yr old daughter tried their zipline and she thinks that it was really fun !!! I invite all of you to try Misibis Bay, unwind in the most luxurious hotel in Bicol, or should i say the most luxurious hotel in the Philippines....Misibis Bay is all you wish for in a vacation...Again to Misibis bay.... thank you very much for making our vacation extra special...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank marieantonette
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Misibis Bay Resort in Cagraray Island is really your ultimate luxurious playground. The standard villa alone is more luxurious than some villas in other resorts. Since it's new, the facilities are well-maintained. Our department went there for a workshop and it was torture listening to the lectures when the beach beckoned. If you are not a beach person, you can choose swimming in the very nice pool. The villas surround either the beach or pool.

The staff are very nice and accommodating. They will try to help you with any need. In our group, even the fussy travelers did not have a single complaint.

The food is delicious. They even serve free cakes and pastries when you lounge in the beach area.

All in all, I highly recommend the place! It deserves to be called the luxury playground in Asia. The money you will spend here will be worth every cent. I will definitely go back to Magnificent Misibis! :)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank travel_gal0216
Misibis_Bay, General Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear travel_gal0216,

Thank for your gracious comments about the resort, we most appreciate your remarks and we shall always strive to exceed guest expectations.

Looking forward to welcome you in the near future!

Thanks, and best regards,

Ian Varona

Reviewed May 17, 2010

There have been some highly mixed reviews about Raintree Misibis Bay, and having stayed there recently, I can understand why. I have a slightly different perspective though on why you SHOULD stay there.

To begin with my family were met at Legaspi airport by JG and we were driven by van to the resort. The trip took an hour and included the car ferry across the Sula Channel. JG told me the fast craft alternative was broken, although subsequently we did take a speedboat back to the resort from Legaspi port. The drive was very pleasant in any case, with winding mountain roads, rural Philippino scenery and glimpes of the sea. So let's get to the point and tell you what's good and what's not, starting with the problems we encountered...

1. The staff are all very friendly and warm, and try hard to please, but some don't really know what they are doing. The resort is a year old now, so you'd expect them to be beyond 'teething' problems, especially given the high prices. Buffet food, while good, wasn't refreshed so if you arrived at the back end of the breakfast window, there was hardly anything left.
2. The beach isn't great and swimming in the sea isn't an option due to the current and rocks. If you want a great beach resort in the true sense, go to Boracay - we went there after leaving Legaspi and stayed at Discovery Shores, which was beautiful.
3. We booked for five nights but on the fourth evening JG dropped a bombshell that they had only booked us in for four nights and as they were fully booked we'd have to move to their sister property, the Hotel Venezia in Legaspi. They did provide that room for free, along with meals and a tour. I negotiated our last night at Misibis for free on top. Venezia itself is nice, but the hotel has no grounds, so no pool or garden. It is close to the airport, so was convenient for our early morning departure, and we did have a good view of the Mayon volcano rom the balcony.
4. In their efforts to try to please (back to point 1) they provided the speedboat to take us to Legaspi, but the sea was way too rough and after 15 mins my wife asked the crew to take us back to the resort. They said they were going to go to the Sula Channel ferry dock in any case to take us the rest of the way by van. If my wife hadn't complained I suspect they would have continued on, which could have been dangerous.

But just before you think 'no way' let me explain what's great...

1. The suites. They are excellent and do have a 'wow' factor - modern, big and airy with lots of glass, and feel very private. Ours opened up directly on to the lagoon pool.
2. The resort , it's facilities, and the location. It has two lovely pools, internet, karaoke, games and kids areas, wide sea frontage, and good food. It is isolated and quiet. You can walk around the beachfront to the boat jetty and see the top of the Mayon volcano. This is particularly pleasant at sunset. The adjacent Eco Park will be good when completed.
3. I didn't see many other western visitors and this area is clearly not on the hit list for most tourists, so you can be one of the first to discover what the area has to offer.
4. Adventure opportunities. This is what really made the stay great for me. Initially the recreation staff tried to persuade me to do make use of the resort facilities, but I pursued what was on offer outside the resort (thankfully). Firstly our recreation guide Geoff was brilliant. He took us diving (in the resort, although the coral was dead due to illegal dynamite fishing), on a lava vein tour where we drove ATVs up a dried up river bed to the vein, which we climbed to witness an amazing view of the majestic Mayon volcano. The next day we did the whale shark encounter at Donsol, where we swam alongside the 12m gentle giants - a real adrenalin rush. Geoff also took my son and I to Potolan Caves on Batan Island, which was a proper caving adventure - climbing, swimming and crawling through the crevices, complete with bats, crabs and spiders. Finally we did a Legaspi city tour which included Lignon Hill, the Casagwa ruins, and the city itself. These trips were fantastic, and were all private. The whole area around Cagrary Island and the peninsula east of Legaspi is really beautiful. We saw several towns and villages and got to see how the locals live and work.

So I would sum up my review by saying if you just want a great beach resort - go somewhere else. If you want a very comfortable, quiet resort in beautiful surroundings, and some memorable adventures, make this your number one destination in the Philippines. But remember you do need to get out of the resort to make the most of this brilliant area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
#2 of 14 in Legazpi
Casablanca Suites
Casablanca Suites
#1 of 14 in Legazpi

Been to Misibis Bay Resort? Share your experiences!