“Good resort but way overpriced”
Review of Misibis Bay Resort

Misibis Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cagraray Island
Reviewed February 26, 2014

About a one hour's drive away from Legazpi Airport, you will be picked up by the hotel shuttle which will take through scenic surroundings along the sea, across rivers and rainforest. The accommodation consists of spacious rooms and villas spread over a vast area. It is located directly on the sea side offering all kinds of sports on land and water. The beach is sandy and kept very clean. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The dive instructor Arlie is highly professional. The food is not impressive. When staying there we had to take our meals more or less inside because there was a private party using the beach under the open sky for their dinner. I would have liked to take my dinner near the water.

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside the compound. It seems that after construction was completed, some more houses...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank marc_martin

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I went to Misibis Bay Resort in Cagraray Island on a day-tour upon an invitation of a friend who took care of my entrance fee. I didn't know how much it cost beforehand. I was told we were to be picked up from our hotel (I was told these are the pick up points: VENEZIA HOTEL, ST. ELLIS and ELLIS ECOTEL) since the Resort only allows their vehicles inside the premises unless you can arrange the registration (for entrance) of your vehicle with the Resort Management. Its 45 minute drive from the city proper to the Resort where you are welcomed by tribal costumed dancers (oh I didn't get that cool welcome drink). Since there was a bit of time before lunch, I checked out the premises to see if it were really the upscale resort it claims to be.
The beach front I saw wasn't what I expected. Not exactly the white sand like what is found in Batangas resorts or Mindoro. There was a construction of a barrier of rocks in front of the beach such that the beach front is enclosed. With this, the infinity pool will no longer look infinite.
After securing my things in a locker whose lock I had a hard time keying in, I went round the pools for kids and for adults... there were no lifeguards on stand by, staff to ask if I needed a towel... not even a bar man on the pool bar. Was I expecting a lot? Since I didn't see any of the rooms, I can't say how they are. Some are beach front, and some are not.. some are far from the main halls but there was a lagoon pool which can be shared by neighboring villas/suites.
The non-motorized activities may be availed of as it is included in the day-tour but did not opt of it because of the undesirable weather.
Lunch was kind of limited and I was disappointed with their offerings compared to that of Pearl Farm's or even Shangri-la Boracay.
I guess this Resort is for those who really want peace and quiet (oh did I say there were constructions on going at the time I went). The room rates (from the website are in US$ and pricey!)
Staff assistance? In my case it was minimal. They did not really approach guests to ask for anything they needed. Our server in at SPICE MARKET didn't even greet us. I had a lot of expectations from Misibis Bay Resort as a Small Luxury Hotel and for the price of the day tour? I felt short changed (for my friend).

For now, from my short visit this is my rating.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Babut_Bacena
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Very nice cozy place , nice surroundings even they are expanding and construction noise it's very close by ...
Friendly stuff , but slow sometime even though they are so many, you have to call them few times until they get the job done...
At 11 pm hot water was off or finished or gone...
Night time there are local dogs and local cats crawling around ...
Food was ok , but not a great selection and is the same next day...
Drinks are expensive compared to similar places in Philippines... and of course not included.
Lots of items missing from both food and drinks menu.
All prices are not included taxes so make sure that you double check on the final score.
Place listed as a triple AAA , i ll give them a D minus.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Exx1
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This resort is perfectly situated in an island that is truly a paradise. The accommodation is luxurious and world class. But what really stands out is the service provided by the courteous and hospitable staff. My kids enjoyed all the activities with the help of Karl, who they fondly call as Mr. Wong. Karl went above and beyond in introducing my children ages 6 and 7 years old, to wind surfing, kayaking, paddle boat, etc. we look forward to going back to Misibis Bay next year and be pampered again by the the staff. The kids look forward to playing with their friend Mr. Wong again.

Room Tip: Call rather than book online.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank SELFMADETYCOON
Reviewed December 20, 2013

During my overnight stay, my overall opinion of the hotel swung from very good to average to bad. Transfers were from the airport, we were impressed with the captain seats van, very swanky and made the 1 hour trip enjoyable. Upon arrival, a traditional dance welcomed us, with cold towels, refreshing - very good. Then when we entered into the lobby, we were offered welcome drinks in plastic cocktail glasses - average. We were given keys and driven by a golf cart to our garden villa room with the promise that our bags to follow - very good. After 10 minutes, no bags, called the reception to remind them to deliver our bags - average. Lunch in the restaurant - average. Food was mediocre. After, we went to the beach for activities, free hobie cat sailing which I enjoyed very much that I went sailing twice - very good. Come morning, husband complained of pain in the abdomen area. Good thing I noticed that there was a clinic the day before and called the reception. Doctor and nurse arrived with ECG equipment and provided free consult and came back with medicine - wonderful. I went snorkling while husband stayed in the room, a guide was always with me in the water to ensure I was safe - very good. After snorkling, went back to the resort for breakfast. I called the night before to inquire and the receptionist said 6 to 930 am. I was at the restaurant, 10 minutes to 9. All that was left was left overs. No refills, no juices, cold hot chocolate, I was disheartened. I was the only person eating but if they say breakfast is 930am, there better be food or offer to cook something. No one manned the cooking station. The waiters were busy preparing for lunch service. I read in blogs there's eggs, bacon and had to ask the waiter to get some. No one asked me if I wanted coffee. It was really a bad experience and I expected more. The check out and transfer back to the city was smooth but my bad breakfast experience ruined my "luxury" expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelogs
Reviewed December 11, 2013

All rooms are close to a swimming pool. They have 4 huge pools. Alot of activities for the kids & adults alike. Food was abit pricey but was well worth it. Rooms are very clean and staff were very friendly. Great way to spend a vacation with the family and for couples also. Be prepared to be disappointed with the activity coordinator in the beach though. He is not guest friendly and is a big disappointment compared to the wait staff and front desk who are very friendly.

Room Tip: Resort is sprawling. Although there are golf carts, you might want to request either a room near the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BES711
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The dictionary definition for Pretentious is: Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified... or, attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture than is actually possessed.
This perfectly describes Misibis Bay Resort, pretentious..!

My wife and I were looking for luxury and indulgence and chose the SLH (Small Luxury Hotels) Misibis Bay for a long weekend away from Manila.
After a 1 hour flight down to Legazpi City we were transfered by minibus to the resort another 1 hour journey.
We enjoy journeys, its part of traveling, especially to new territories... this journey was through the jungle terrain of lower Luzon Island, Philippines, spectacular..!

Having previously enjoyed the lavish delights of several SLH hotels around the world, and as such we anticipated a fabulous 3 days at Misibis Bay... what a let down..!

We were both famished and went straight to the restaurant to eat as the receptionist informed us that our room was not ready. (which in hindsight was a bit odd as their occupancy rate at the time was 38 people in a resort that accommodates 190..!?)
Anyway, I had the burger, which turned out to be the WORST burger on the planet... and I have eaten burgers everywhere..! I mentioned this to our server, who was indifferent.

I have included some photos for you to view, I could write and describe, but photos are so much better.
As previously mentioned, we were 2 of 38 guests in a huge resort, however in all the time we were there, sunning ourselves by the pool or sheltering from the rain... not once were we approached by anyone to offer us a towel to lie on or dry ourselves with, or to offer us a cool refreshing drink... nothing..!!
There was a fully stocked poolside bar, but never a barman..!? There was a poolboy, but he just placed or removed cushions on the deckchairs, no thought to offer us a towel..!?

The room we were sent to was one of the worst we have ever stayed in... hear me out here, where one is paying a luxury price, at a hotel claiming to be a luxury resort hotel and part of the SLH group of hotels... there is an expectation that you are going to receive luxury, right... Not at Misibis Bay...
The rooms, building and grounds, including the beach were in a state of disrepair and run down - unloved basically..!
The food, all of it, at all meals was bland, uninteresting and visually unappealing..!

The St James Hotel in London or the Pimalai Resort or The Discover Shores or come to think of it, none of the other SLH hotels would dream about offering such appalling facilities and services at their hotels... Misibis Bay has flown under the radar of the watchful eye for far too long...

If you are looking for a luxurious beach holiday, avoid Misibis Bay at all costs..!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else... avoid this place at all costs..!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 14 in Legazpi
Hotel Fina
Hotel Fina
#1 of 4 in Tabaco City

Been to Misibis Bay Resort? Share your experiences!