“Stressful Staycation”
Review of Misibis Bay Resort

Misibis Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cagraray Island
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Let's start off with my complaints since there are too many.

1. Late pickup for check-in
We were scheduled for pickup at 11AM during my email conversation with their sales representative in Manila. Upon arriving, we were told to wait for the resort service. After probably 15 minutes of waiting, I insisted the front desk officer from Hotel Venezia to call them to inquire what the situation is. But we waited a few minutes again since no one is answering the calls to Misibis. When we finally get in, the front desk officer from Misibis informed me that we were scheduled for 1PM pickup. So instead we'll be joining another group for pickup. What an inconvenience.

2. Welcome drinks
We didn't get any while the other couple with us are refreshingly drinking theirs.

3. Heater for the shower is not reliable. (Warning, this is lengthy and we're so annoyed by the mere remembrance of this horrible experience.)

Water is not heating up in our 2nd day. We reported it early in the morning, at around 6AM. Upon initial complain, two men from Eng came in to check. I was happy with their initial response but we have to ask them to come back when we're out for breakfast. But they didn't. So we have to complain again and a new guy came to check which probably lasted for one hour. We were told by the Eng guy to try it after 30 minutes. By noon, no hot water still.

We called in again to raise this concern and they checked it again while we're out for lunch. It was raining most of the day so we decided to stay out of the room so they could concentrate on fixing the heater. But again, no hot water after waiting the whole day. No one is updating us with the status, and we still have to call in again to check with them.

I inquired for the possibility of a room transfer with the Hotel Services but was told that the resort was fully booked. How can this be, when I can clearly see most of the villas and suites are empty when we're walking around the resort.

So we decided to go to the Front Desk office ourselves. No one is positioned at the Front Desk when we arrived so we just waited there. While standing there, a cleaning crew just passed by in front of us, without even acknowledging our presence. I expected him to at least ask us what we need, or let us know that the Front Desk officer is just out for a few minutes since were obviously waiting there with no smiles on our faces. Since he's not sensitive enough, we have to call his attention that we're looking for the Front Desk officer. A resort that positions itself as SLH should train its people to cater to the needs of its guests.

Back to my story, upon sharing our complaints and requesting again for the room transfer to Kath, the Front Desk officer at the time (I'd like to commend her not letting our irritated faces affect her smiles), thankfully we were finally transferred us to a new room. But we waited again for another hour for housekeeping to ready the room.

Upon transferring at around 6:30PM to 7PM, we immediately check the showers, I was hoping they checked it before us, but obviously not. The water was nowhere hot, the best it could do is get "almost" lukewarm. Mind you, when we initially checked-in, the water was burning hot in a few seconds and I could steam the whole bathroom after a few minutes. But it was better than having cold showers on a cold and rainy day. After dinner, water was back to normal, cold that is. How frustrating!

By morning at 6AM, we have to call in again that the shower is not heating up again. Apparently, they're resetting it so we have to wait for another 30 minutes before we can use the heater. So do I have to advise the resort when I want to use the hot water???

After breakfast, at around 9AM, water is getting steamy and hot, so I'm happy. By 10, back to "almost" lukewarm.

Overall, we're so disappointed with the whole situation, how we were calling back and forth the whole day for one issue raised over the nth time. No coordination with the Hotel Services/Engineering on the status of our complain.

No one wants to have cold showers on a rainy day on a vacation and/or after going to beach or pool. We've stayed with other resorts, and showers were never an issue. I've expected more from an SLH resort from service to facilities.

4. No housekeeping on 2nd day unless requested?
I came in the room after breakfast only to find the room the same as we've left it. All of the resorts I've been to makes up the room every morning, changes the towels when needed, so I'm baffled why I still have to request them to do this.

I also requested for new robes, but they never came. Only the towels and toiletries were replenished.

5. Most of the seafood items from the menu is not available
Eg. Sinigang na Isda (Tuna), Grilled Tuna Belly, Tuna Sisig. In our 3D/2N stay, the only seafood we've tried is Sinigang na Prawns.

6. Brewed coffee is too bitter.
Another guest from the next table complained about it too.

7. Pool is not debris-free
I've never seen anyone from the resort leaf netting the infinity pool. You'll be swimming with leaves, insects, etc.

I hope someone from Misibis will read on Trip Advisor so you'll gauge how the resort really measures with your customers and you'll get many areas for improvement.
Eg. One user from November 2012 already complained about hot water, reception ignoring calls, and a towel that never arrived. And two users from November 2012 complained about the brownouts.

Most of my complaints are not isolated and are even raised before. But no one is taking notice and no action is being taken from your end, so I'm already expecting that my complaints will go down the drain just like the money I've spent to stay in a "luxury" resort.

But I hope you'll start to level up your service to be a truly deserving SLH as you claimed to be. And improve on your issue handling and resolution policies.

On a good note, breakfast buffet has a good selection which we enjoyed from soups to entrees to fruits. There are 3 fresh juices available during our stay. And they also have an omelette and sausage station and a waffle/pancake station. Ala carte lunch/dinner are also served with complimentary bread/butter, soup and fruit platter. Do ask the servers if they're offering the fruit juices/shakes at 50% off.

Lastly, I'd like to commend Kath from Front Desk, the servers from De la Playa who are warm, attentive, all smiles and made our dining experience pleasant, the nice staff from Recreations and our Drivers during resort transfers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank ps_08

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This time an enumerated lists of good ang bad points will be the type of my review, let's start for the Bad Points:
1) interruption of sleep due to a few second of brownout, you need to wake up to adjust the AC, just like in our first night were awaken twice by the two power interruption .
2) A 3rd towel i requested on our 2nd day for my daughter who was also a paid guest at P3,888.00 per night didn't arrive, good thing she is a girl , we just shared to their "stained towel"
3) A call to reception will take you more than 10 minutes before they answer, most of the time they will ignore your calls.
4)They don't know who are their guests are, imagine getting into your room just find out that the supplies like towels and toiletries is just for two persons, even though you need to pay all before you can get your keys
5) Lack of coordination too between the personnel, or maybe a good supervisor to each department is nowhere to found specially the reception area wherein the only place to call to if you need something.
Good point:
1) Food is quite good and some staff were attentive specially those @Recreation activities
Imagine, for their published rate of $470.00/ night for two persons you will get this kind of service and accommodation, good thing for us we availed the citibank promo for the lower price but still, getting here with all the airfares,and an almost 1 1/2 ride from the airport didn't compensate the value and effort we spend, we deserve and expect good accommodation and good service . For me claiming this place a world-class resort is far far behind, improve first your Garden view rooms and service. Now i Know, getting a good beach adventure doesn't mean to be a Misibis bay Resort, its only two or three hour drive away from our place in Ortgas, and that's "Canyon cove "in Nasugbu Batangas.

8  Thank Jjeanie7
Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was a vacation to remember. Their rooms were well-cleaned and maintained. Bathroom was huge and enjoyed the surprise I got from the Ferragamo toiletries that they had to offer. Television channels were quite limited but other than that, room was fantastic and we were happy that they also give the minibar snacks for free, They do have a wide array of activities to choose from. I recommend trying the ATV. Food was reallydelicious and the service was great, too. We will definitely come back next year!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our Misibis Bay experience is definitely one for the books! Delicious food and great facilities! The staff are very polite and they treat their guests like VIPs. There's also a wide array of activities to choose from (I highly recommend the ATV to the hilltop!). It's definitely worth every penny! I would prefer Misibis Bay over Bella Rocca anytime. It's perfect for both getaway with friends and family! :)

Room Tip: If you stay in a garden view, make sure you stay at the second floor or your room isn't facing t...
2  Thank your_solemate
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We bought the Misibis Bay Deal from Deal Grocer. Upon our arrival in Legaspi Airport, a representative of the resort is waiting for us, he immediately directed us to our Van to start our tour. We had Raffy as our tour guide who is very attentive to our needs. By the way we are a family of nine (including 2 kids) so we have the van all to ourselves. It was very considerate that he dropped us in Hotel Venezia (which is a sister company of Misibis Bay) to use the restroom before we start the tour. The tour is just what we expect and got to see all the tourist spot in Legaspi, Mt. Mayon was a little shy though (the weather is cloudy) ,didn't let us see his full glory. Before getting to the resort, we ask for a place to eat. We dropped us off to this restaurant who offer P177 buffet meal. The food was delicious, they have shrimps and everything. It was truly value for Money. After an hour drive, at 1pm, we finally arrived at the Resort. We are welcome with Coconut leaves garland with a fish design and dancing Men in native costume (Ibalong playing in the background, which got the kids singing it all through out our stay). They gave us complimentary drinks and fish crackers while we wait in the lobby. It just took us 10mins to check in and we are shown to our rooms by golf carts. We got Villa 24 and 25 (1 bedroom deluxe). Our villas are just beside the pool and is situated in the middle of the resort (near the spice market and beach side). All of us love our rooms especially the bathroom that has rain shower head and bathtub. We went gaga with the provided Acca Kappa and Salvadore Ferregamo toiletries. I forgot to mention that they gave us a suggested itinerary to help us maximize the time of our stay in their resort so we did just about that. On our 1st day, we started with all the free water sport and by night time went swimming on their pool. 2nd day we took the eco tour ( ampi-theater) and went to the zip-line area. We are very fortunate that it has stopped raining when we got there because they suspend all activity when it rains. We also rode the mountain bike around the resort. By lunch time we hang-out on the seaside and had our lunch there. We told the staff that we want to snorkel so he just called somebody to pick us up by the seaside to bring us to the marina. Though they dont have the best snorkeling spot, you could still see some tropical fishes and the giant clams they put there. We really enjoyed it. After that we spent all afternoon doing their watersports and swimming. On our final day, we forgot to visit the chapel on the hill so we again sign up for the eco- tour however they told us the line was long and that it will not be available until 3pm, we are really a persistent group so they pulled some strings and got us our tour. We got Capt. Jun as our guide who is very accomodating. We took almost all our pictures and even suggested where to post to get excellent pictures. He is one exemplary employee.

And about the food, they have great buffet selection. Our tummys are very happy everytime. They have grilling stations at night and omelets, pancake and friend rice station in the morning. Though you have to wait to be serve its still a small price to pay for a delicious hot meal. The one thing i didn't like is it was very hard to flag down a waiter to clear out the table and have it set up but once you get their attention they will be very attentive to your needs.

All in all, our family had such a great time during our stay, we bonded with all the activities they offer, we are all very comfortable in our rooms, and our tummys are very happy with the selection of food they offer. They have a number of courteous and accomodating staff that will let you feel like VIPs. We cant wait until we visit this place again!

Room Tip: Villa 24 and 25 is located in the middle of everthing
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This place is a tourist trap, rooms looks nice at first view, but no hot water, brown outs, no sea view, no balcony, no table to work on, no service when your internet is down, nothing to do in the area, limited selection of food, long transfer from airport on bad roads makes it a place I cannot recommend.

Martin

• Stayed: November 2012
8  Thank MartinBackstrom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived in Misibis Bay after an hour long trip by the resort van that picked us up from the airport. The place was fully booked and while The Reception Group did try to make arrangements for a smooth check in process, the housekeeping staff just could not get the rooms ready in time!
We arrived at 11am at the resort, check-in time was supposed to be at 2pm. They were only able to check us in at 2:55pm. Turned out the previous tenant busted a door handle and they needed to change it. It took 4 maintenance men to change 1 door handle (seriously?). If they had given me a screw-driver I was thinking, I could have changed the door handle faster myself. In the meantime, the 4 maintenance guys were making our floor dirty by walking around the room that I had to call housekeeping to clean it up again!

Beyond that initial hiccup, we had a lovely vacation! The food was delicious, the place was gorgeous and looked exactly like it did on their website! The Reception Group gave us an itinerary of the various things that we could do during our stay. We're pretty much a lounge around type of family so it suited us fine that the resort was remote, and there really was not much else to do other than being in the resort. You could choose to take an ATV up the mountain if you wanted.

Our package (One Bedroom Deluxe) allowed us the use of the watersports (Kayaking, pedal boat, hobiecat sailing, wind sailing) all for free. We also had a free zipline, which my teenagers enjoyed! We had so much FUN just bonding together!

What was unfortunate was that our package included full board (all meals free), but when we were telling the restaurant staff about it, they told us only breakfast was free and not lunch and dinner! We tried approaching waiters twice, but as we left Manila in a mad rush and had not printed our package options, I could not prove it. (I was also not so sure as I booked the resort months in advance, and was only able to know with certainty when we returned.) Our fault for not insisting and going up to reception/guest services about it.

Likewise, our package included a free City Tour, which we didn't get. Van drivers were going on a tight schedule and needed to bring us back to the resort right away. But, it makes you think, "Why bring me to the resort at 11am when you'll only allow me to check-in at 2pm?" You could have given me a city tour while we were Legaspi. Anyway, Legaspi is a pretty small place so it's something that we skipped.

The service was very good! People were very friendly, and accommodating! It's just that at times you need to wait very long for things to happen, or call guest services twice to make sure that they understood your request... You could see that the staff were running around because the place really seemed understaffed! If you're used to 5-star Makati service, this place is a bit lacking! It's not 5-star calibre.

However, considering that this beautiful resort is in this remote place in Bicol, then I'm very happy with the service they provided. I don't think you'll find a resort comparable to this in Bicol. E.g. The towels smell good, the place smells nice!. Aircon is new and can easily be controlled. Great facilities! Very clean! Beach is nice! They have golf carts to take you everywhere!

It was a big surprise that when I was feeling dizzy and lying in the room, the girl from housekeeping very nicely and courteously offered for the resort doctor to see me, and in a few minutes he was there! After being given pills for dizziness, I felt great and was able to enjoy more of the resort's activities! At the same time, the next day when we were planning our activiites and signing up to go boating with cave exploration, the same doctor was there at recreations explaining that the activity would involve climbing the mountain a bit, with a lot of stairs. He very nicely said, "Mam, you really have to be the very sporty active type or you will be very tired!" I got the cue and lounged on the beach chairs while my family enjoyed the water sports! At the end of the day, I appreciated the doctor's advice.

Last, my 6yr old son liked eating in the room rather than in the restaurant. Tip: We would order food an hour before a time when we really wanted to eat! So, we were still happy with the food quality when it arrived!

Overall, our family enjoyed ourselves on this vacation! There were a lot of hiccups, but hey! You're on vacation. Enjoy yourself! :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 14 in Legazpi
Hotel Fina
Hotel Fina
#1 of 4 in Tabaco City

Been to Misibis Bay Resort? Share your experiences!