“Glorious Misibis Bay Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Misibis Bay Resort

Misibis Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cagraray Island
Philippines
“Glorious Misibis Bay Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I just got back from an idyllic and relaxing weekend at the Misibis Bay Resort
where we celebrated our first wedding anniversary. It is a world class resort nestled just
outside Legaspi. We would like to commend and thank Rex Cortes, the genial and affable
F&B manager and the whole resort staff for making our stay a truly memorable and blissful
one. First rate facilities, smiling and pleasant staff that aim to please. Perfect place to unwind
but with enough activities to get you engage...sunset cruises,zip lines,ATVs,,jet skis,hobie sail
craft,kayaking,windsurfing, snorkeling,pedal boats and their 3 swimming pools.

on our last night, we plan on having a light dinner but we were intercepted by Mr. Rex Cortes
who theatrically led us to a lone dinner table by the pool, decked with special lights, music
player and our own private wait staff, Arkie C. At the end of the meal, we were presented a
special wedding anniversary cake!! What a romantic and delightful night.

Thank you Misibis Bay Resort. Thank you Rex. Thank you Arkie.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had a wonderful experience in my previous (and first) stay in Misibis Bay Resort. Although the place was quite expensive, and the trip going there was about an hour or more, I think it was worth it. The staff was very kind and helpful, and the food is OK. I have to admit that I really felt like a king there (even if our room wasn't the best room in the Resort) when they gave us compliments. The Manager gave my family free activities like a free ride in the Jetski or Segway, and the rooms were very nice. Overall I think this is a good place for families or couples and should be the best resort in the Philippines.

• Stayed May 2011
Luzon, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

If you're planning a summer get away or simply would like to leave the hustle of city life, you may find this place very welcoming! The place itself is very relaxing, the staff courteous and very professional, very friendly. And the food at the Spice market resto.... I still find myself longing, yearning for the seafood pomodoro!!! They also offer Bicol dish that will make you come back for more! This is one place you'd truly like to visit again!

Room Tip: A lot of rooms to choose from! But if you'd like a real quiet room, you might want to stay away...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I had high expectations going to Misibis Bay since it is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World along with Discovery Shores Boracay which I had already stayed at and in my opinion deserves to be a member of the group. I can't help but compare my experience at Misibis Bay with that of my Discovery Shores Boracay stay.

I bought the 3days/2nights Misibis Bay deal for a Junior Suite Deluxe at Deal Grocer. My husband and I were arriving in Legaspi at 7:30am so I requested for an early check in and a room on the 2nd floor when I made my reservation. We got to the resort past 9am. The reception area was quite hot, you could hardly feel the airconditioning. So much for a positive first impression. It was cooler inside the coaster that brought us to the resort than inside the reception area. Management should take appropriate measures to ensure that the area is properly cooled.

I asked if our room was ready and I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that we were upgraded to a one bedroom deluxe on the 2nd floor.

ROOM

My husband and I were very satisfied with our room. It was in very good condition, well-maintained and seemed fairly new. Bathroom fixtures were Hansgrohe, had his and her sinks, a separate shower stall and a bath tub. The bedroom layout was very similar to that of Discovery Shores Boracay. I have no complaints when it came to our room. The aircon units in the bedroom and living room were enough to cool the rooms.

FOOD

We headed to the restaurant called Spice Market to have breakfast. We checked their breakfast buffet priced at Php800 which consisted of longganisa, sausage, tocino, corned beef (which looked like it came from a can, not made from scratch), plain rice, fried rice. There was also a waffle/pancake station and an omelet station along with 3 kinds of dried fish (dilis, etc).

We decided to order a la carte since we didn't find the selection to be worth the amount they were charging. My husband ordered pancakes which were not fluffy. He said the pancakes at McDonalds were better! I ordered Binagoongan which basically was Lechon Kawali with bagoong on the side that came with bagoong rice topped with 3 slivers of ripe mango. I was very satisfied with my order since I like Lechon Kawali. My order turned out to be good for 2 since the portions of the Lechon Kawali and rice were bigger than those served in other restaurants.

That night we checked out their dinner buffet priced at Php1,500. They had Seafood Kare-Kare, Adobo sa Asin (why would you eat Adobo at a buffet when it is easily cooked at home?), Sinigang (also easily cooked at home), Tinunggang Manok (I have never heard of this dish before), plain rice and fried rice. The grill station had tuna belly and liempo. The dishes didn't look appetizing at all. The amount they are charging isn't commensurate to the quality of the dishes they serve. Php1,500 for a buffet meal and not even a single beef dish? The food selection was quite sad. In fact, most of the other tables also ordered ala carte. We decided to order Crispy Pata and rice. The Crispy Pata was good, we liked the dipping sauce that came with it and serving was enough for 2 people.

The next day we headed to the Spice Market for breakfast at 9am. The breakfast buffet is supposed to be until 10am but when we got there most of the chafing dishes were almost empty. I had to ask them to replenish the buffet spread but not all of the chafing dishes were refilled. They only refilled the inexpensive items such as the corned beef but not the fried daing na bangus. The pancake/waffle station also needed to be replenished. They had run out of batter for pancakes and waffles so only crepes were available. I ordered a mango crepe and a ham, bacon and cheese omelet. There was only 1 guy manning both stations. He was in charge of making the crepes, omelets and frying eggs. My mango crepe was undercooked, I could still taste the raw batter. My omelet was still runny, the bacon and ham got drenched in raw egg when I sliced it!

Spice Market is the only restaurant in the resort so we had no choice but to eat all our meals there. My husband wanted to order a burger for merienda but it wasn't available. We browsed their menu which had a limited selection. We decided to order a Pizza Margherita. The pizza was not what we had expected! They didn't use fresh basil! It had a sprinkling (don't blink or else you'll miss it) of dried basil which looked like it came from a bottle of Mccormick (I'm not even sure if Mccormick sells dried basil because I only buy fresh basil!). They used Quickmelt cheese instead of mozzarella! The tomatoes weren't fully ripe yet! It was the saddest pizza we had ever eaten.

As expected, their dinner buffet selection was depressing. There was plain rice, rice with veggies, chopsuey (exactly the same as the rice with veggies but without the rice), a crab dish that looked like it had no crab meat left and 2 other items not even worth mentioning.

My husband ordered grilled salt and pepper liempo. It was ok but nothing to write home about.
Since the menu selection was limited and I was hesitant to try new items on the menu for fear that they wouldn't be satisfying, I decided to stick with my tried and tested order - Binagoongan. But to my surprise the Binagoongan presentation was different. It was served on a rectangular plate instead of a square one and plated differently from the first time I had ordered it the day before. It was served with plain rice instead of bagoong rice. I told the waiter my order was missing the bagoong rice. The bagoong rice was served after a few minutes. It made me wonder if they would've have served the bagoong rice if I had not looked for it. One of the marks of a good restaurant is consistency. Food should always taste and look the same at all times.

The buffet breakfast the next day had the same items as the first 2 days. As with the previous day, most of the chafing dishes needed to be refilled. I again had to ask them to replenish the food.

Spice Market badly needs to overhaul its buffet and menu selection. The buffet spread is very limited, more variety needed. Most of the items were local dishes (which could easily be cooked at home), continental dishes need to be added. We were locals and we couldn't find something we wanted to eat from the lunch/dinner buffet spread, more so for foreign guests. Buffet items from the previous meal are reincarnated (read: recycled) into different dishes for the next meal. The pork asado from the lunch buffet turned into pork humba for dinner. The dinner soup was again served for breakfast the following day.

The food served looks and tastes amateurish as if it was prepared by home cooks and not professional chefs. I can make better pancakes, omelets and pizzas at home. I have no qualms about paying good money for a meal as long as the taste and quality justifies its cost. If Misibis Bay wants to truly be a world class resort, it should prioritize its F&B department. Just because your guests are a captive market because we literally have no other place to eat at on the island, it does not mean that you will not give importance to your F&B. It is not enough that your rooms and facilities are luxurious, even your food should be first rate. Your room rates are pricey and you market yourself as a luxury resort therefore you attract a high end, well-traveled clientele with a discriminating taste who expect delectable meals cooked with quality ingredients. Your guests pay a premium and therefore expect nothing but the best.

SERVICE

We could see that the waiters at Spice Market were trying their best to be attentive but their level of service still needs improvement and refinement. They would take the empty dishes from our table, refill our glasses with water and ask if we needed anything else. There was a particular waiter that was a little rough on the edges whom I shall refer to as Waiter X. Waiter X was attentive to our needs but whenever we would request for something from him his standard reply would be "Yeah" which is too informal and unprofessional. There was one meal wherein my husband and I were both seated on the couch so we were facing the 2 chairs at the opposite end of the table. Waiter X was walking to our table carrying a cup of coffee in one hand and tea in the other. He gently kicked one of the chairs in front of us to make way so he could place the cups on our table. I found it quite crude. Misibis Bay should train their wait staff on proper decorum.

There was one waiter named Jay who gave us exceptional service at Spice Market. On our 2nd day during lunch he served us complimentary bread that looked like garlic bread. I told him I preferred the soft rolls so he got the garlic bread and replaced it with 2 rolls. I asked for more rolls so he came back with 2 more. Jay was also our waiter during dinner. This time he automatically gave us 4 soft rolls while we waited for our order. I appreciate the fact that he remembered my preference. He was also very pleasant and professional. That's the kind of intuitive service that everyone at Misibis Bay should offer.

Misibis Bay is not at par with Discovery Shores Boracay in terms of service and food quality. At Discovery Shores you can really feel the luxury as seen by the attention to detail of the staff, impeccable service and delicious food. The lounge chairs at Discovery Shores by the pool/beach were always supplied with fresh towels and there was always someone on hand to attend to your needs. At Misibis Bay there wasn't always a pool attendant at the lagoon pool, the lounge chairs weren't always stocked with towels, you had to wait for someone to pass by to ask for a towel and they didn't wipe down the lounge chair cushions which had puddles of rainwater from the early morning rain.

Misibis Bay is a nice place to go to but I think once is enough. My husband and I were very disappointed with the food. It was the only vacation we went on where we didn't gain weight. We couldn't wait to get back to Manila to have a delicious meal. Misibis Bay still has a long way to go in terms of becoming a world class resort that offers impeccable service. Their service is still not at par with that of Discovery Shores Boracay where you will feel the indulgence and the lap of luxury. Misibis Bay's level of service and food quality does not justify their room rates.

If we had paid full price for our trip, we would have felt cheated and not gotten value for our money. It was hard to feel luxurious when we didn't experience topnotch service and we could tell that management was scrimping on the buffet spread and the quality of the a la carte items. Misibis Bay left us wanting.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor or 3rd floor if you want privacy and some quiet time. Guests walking ar...
2 Thank Ysabel
QC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

in a summary:
--upon arrival we were met by the hotel staff and we were the only guests for misibis on the that flight so had all coach to ourselves. we were given water and cookies on the ride to the resort. service was very good
--check in: we arrived at the hotel around 1130am and was told that the room was not yet ready, so we decided to have lunch first and went back after to wait for our room, we were delighted to be informed that we were upgraded but the room was still not yet ready... unfortunately it took so long and found it disappointing that alot of new guests only arriving from the airport are shown to their rooms but we were still waiting for ours...we were able to check in almost 3pm already..being in my final trimester found the first day very tiring and the long wait for check in did not help at all
--food: the service at the resto was really good, the fnb manager was very accommodating and staff are well trained, food was also not bad, there was a beach set up during the dinners which were a welcome change
--room: we stayed at the junior suite, I loved the bathroom and room
--great toiletries: shampoo,bath gel, conditioner,soaps and lotions were branded (ferragamo)
--location: the view and beauty of the place is wonderful, very relaxing
---check out: we were told that last shuttle was leaving by 2pm and to be ready by before that.. we were ready and waiting but again check out took very long and the shuttle actually left around 3pm...

2 Thank WGN778
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Front Desk - We arrived at the resort at 8am and were told that rooms will be made available at 2pm. We are a group of 23 people, 11 kids and 12adults so all of us were just waiting near the kids playground until the rooms are ready. Imagine 23 people scattered in one area of a resort, if the resort manager is conscious and concerned about the noise and all our luggages everywhere, we could probably get our rooms earlier than 2pm.
At 11am, we already got one room. 2 rooms were said to be ready by 12noon, the only problem is the golf cart and staff that would bring us to the room. If I only knew how near the room was, I would not have waited for a staff to to bring us there. It was just a 3 minute walk from the front desk. I followed up at 12:25pm but still no one came, we decided to order food and so we ate just steps away from the reception desk, still no one came. At 1pm my husband followed up again, but still no one came....I had to go to the desk again and Daniel who seem to be a resort lead or some sort, someone who happened to just pass by again, heard me complaining assisted us himself to our room (he drove the cart and carried our luggage for us)
While waiting, we were using the common bathroom and they doesnt seem to be well-maintained given that at 9am there is a bad stinky smell already.

Garden View Rooms - The rooms look very new. Though given that housekeeping maybe wanted to finish quickly, it didnt look seamless clean, there was dirt on the bathroom floor, im glad I didnt see hair there!
The bed was also a double size,didnt seem like a queen that is why it will not be comfortable for a couple with one kid, my husband had to sleep on the sofabed because bed was small.
Also, the aircon could not handle the current hot weather, they should change them with better ones since my friends had the same problem, it would be hard for the guests to take naps during the early afternoon, the service personnel had to repair the aircon in our room.

Amenities - No questions on the amenities.....there are different kinds of pools - kiddie pools, toddler pools, lagoon adult pools etc....there is a bar near two pools, pools are near the Spice Market restaurant so the kids can stay at the pool area while the parents stay at the restaurant...
Toiletries are ample and by Crabtree and Evelyn, two thumbs up to that!
Our package also included free zipline, use of hobies,kayaks that the kids and adults enjoyed. There was also snorkeling that we were not able to avail since the kids were very busy with the beach and pools.

Restaurant and bars - we noticed that there is just one person in charge at the beachfront bar and at the pool bar. It took awhile before they can tell you that your order is not available, while we were there, they didnt have mojitos, burgers, pizzas, so it is hard to order since you do not know what else they have. We also noticed the staff serving us where there from morning to night, it seem that they do not have an 8-10 hour shift but more than 12 hours!

Beach - not comparable to Boracay sand but it was still ok! They also had a playground at the beach for our toddlers.

Breakfast was ample although some of the food like pancakes/waffles need improvement. Breakfast is open from 6:30-10:30am which was good, I am not sure if staff is lenient or that there were no staff to take a look but they did not charge us for the kids from 6-11 that ate buffet breakfast also because in their package, breakfast was only free for 2 adults per room and kids below 6.

Checkout took long as expected, it is not automatic for the total bill to reflect in the system, my friend had to wait for 30 minutes before she can settle her bill. While we were checking out, another group came in and complaining about their rooms taking soo long while one of the kids in their party was also sick, and there again will be another unhappy group.....and this will keep it ongoing until Management fixes this.

Before going back to the airport, after checkout,we had a 1.5 hr window to have lunch,guess what, our order came 20 minutes before we had to leave after an hour after we ordered.....they were very consistent in telling us that their service is terrible!

To summarize, Management of this resort has a very brilliant idea of what to offer, but is not doing justice overall to the resort and what the resort can offer. The staff are very friendly and very accomodating but they can only do so much. Please please if the Management can just hear me, please bring in more personnel, so that checkin will be smooth, all the bars will have attendants, there will be more staff to clean the common toilets, etc. There are a lot of people needing jobs, I hope Management is not trying to minimize personnel costs because it is affecting the whole resort.

I just had to mention all these but overall, given that we were a large group, we still had soo much fun!! We were not hard to please, we still appreciate the staff being very accomodating despite them being obviously tired.

Room Tip: Junior Room Suites have a nice view....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank welovetotravel_585
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

From the moment my friends and I stepped out of Legazpi airport, we felt the excitement in the air. We were greeted by the hotel staff and given bottled water and cold towel. It was a fairly comfortable ride not to mention very scenic. Upon reaching the hotel, drinks were handed out as well as our room keys. The rooms were big and the beds were heavenly. The bathroom was very spacious with first class toilet amenities (Acca Cappa). I was very impressed with their rooms, view,amenities and most of all, the hotel staff. They anticipated their guests' needs without being too pushy. It's like having a personal butler.The service was simply impeccable. Being in the same industry, I had high expectations and they have exceeded them. Although, their food was a bit pricey and there were not a lot of choices( an area they can improve on), one can overlook these flaws because of the excellent service provided by their staff. I would like to commend the resort's manager, Ian and F& B manager, Rex for a job well done. There was one incident during our stay where service recovery was extended to our group. They really knew how to take care of their guests. Noone in our group wanted to leave. Three days were not enough because there were so many activities lined up for the guests. Non motorized sports were FOC i.e. kayaking,snorkeling,surfing and zipline to name a few. They also have ATV,jetski and Segway if you get bored. Families with kids will never run out of things to do in the island. It was worth every penny I paid for. I am definitely looking forward to another Misibis Bay pampering sometime soon. Kudos to their staff!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 13 in Legazpi
Casablanca Suites
Casablanca Suites
#5 of 13 in Legazpi

Been to Misibis Bay Resort? Share your experiences!