“A wonderful country inn with fantastic food and beautiful rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Woking, United Kingdom
“A wonderful country inn with fantastic food and beautiful rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

The Kings Arms was entirely renovated in 2009 and it is fair to say that they have done a remarkable job. The bedrooms are individually decorated to the high standard one might expect from a boutique hotel rather than a country pub. We particularly liked our bathroom, with its walk-in rainforest shower. The decor throughout the public areas was also bright and modern, with a large collection of art for sale.

The standard of the food matched that of the accommodaion. We enjoyed a superb three course dinner; many gastropubs could learn a thing or two from a visit here. Breakfast was also good. There was not a huge choice (not that I would expect it from a pub) but everything was of the highest quality, including the best cooked breakfast I can remember.

If you are looking to escape to the country for a night or two, then look no further than the Kings Arms. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

First impressions: very small village with just one shop (next door) and a mobile post office, nice big car park, very welcoming front desk and beautifully decorated room.

The hotel itself was obviously recently refurbished to a very high standard and the walls of communal areas are adorned with artwork for sale. The entrance is very much modern pub-like and towards the back is a more formal dining room. There's a good-sized garden at the back with plenty of seating (very nice to relax in the sun with a book and a drink) and a croquet lawn!

We stayed for two nights (Sunday and Monday) in room 2 (Crystal). The room was lovely: large, nicely decorated, a comfortable bed and plenty of storage (no safe). The en-suite bathroom had a fabulous rain-style shower, big fluffy towels and robes. There were two down sides to the room: 1) a delivery van reversing directly outside our open windows meant we were woken up at around 6am on both mornings (that said, it's a lovely quiet place the rest of the time) and 2) no phone signal (O2) and the wi-fi was painfully slow - not a huge problem unless you're relying on it to make plans!

Now I really have to talk about the food, because that's where The Kings Arms absolutely comes into its own. There's a seriously talented team working the kitchen and as such we not only enjoyed a couple of delicious cooked breakfasts but we also enjoyed fantastic dinners there both nights (we'd only planned to dine there one evening, but were so impressed that there was no point looking elsewhere) - I highly recommend the beetroot gnocchi. The food was definitely on par with some of the better London restaurants I've eaten at and judging by the buzz in the evenings, the locals clearly know it too!

To top it all off, the staff were all very friendly, courteous and as helpful as could be.

Our two-night stay including breakfasts, dinners and drinks came in at a very reasonable £265. Definitely recommended if you just want to get away from it all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Binfield Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

We had to attend a Wedding in Yeovil and although some of the guest were staying at one of the local “value hotels” I decided it wasn’t for us, (The groom stayed there and woke up with a bad back) and having just come back from Poland where I had stayed in some excellent hotels again I wanted something special so I had a quick look on the internet and after checking the reviews we decided on the Kings Arms and was pleasantly surprised.

We arrived in the afternoon and after settling in our room we were asked if we could allow the plumber in as he had a small job to do, no problem I said we will go down to the bar and get a coffee, the nice kind lady (Beth) “no” she said have some Champagne on us, which I thought was a very nice gesture but not necessary. I said we would have a drink with our meal in the evening rather then now and they didn’t forget!

The evening meal was excellent I just wanted a steak and it was cooked just right, I asked for the sauce on a separate dish as I am really not that keen on sauces but on trying it I liked it. The restaurant staff was friendly but not overpowering, asking frequently if everything was OK, I felt very at home here.

Later in the evening we went into the comfortable bar area and Beth came over for a chat, (I had spoken to here when I made my booking and knew the Kings Arms would be great place to spend a weekend.) I was having difficulties picking up a signal on my laptop to check my email so Beth went into the router and rebooted it to see if that would help. When I had gone up to our room to get my laptop I understand that a staff member had fluffed up my seat cushions. Wow!!.

Was it Winston Churchill when making decisions or working out the best move who used to work on a + and – system or was it points? I use points. Well the Kings Arms is clocking up lots of plus points with me, and the maximum points came in the evening when we came back from the Wedding, we were making our way though a very busy bar when Tony the boss came out from behind the bar to ask how the Wedding went and if we needed any water (in bottles with the Kings Arms crest on them) to take up to our room. What more can you ask?

Breakfast was great, next morning. The staff were all friendly.

We thoroughly recommend the Kings Arms and will be staying there again when we visit relatives in Yeovil.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2010

Beautifully refurbished hotel - resh and tasteful throughout. Great shower in wet room and very good linen and towels. Warm welcome at breakfast and nice setting with cockerel strutting around the front. Hope to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

This pub / B&B has been recently renovated, but despite that retains much of its original character. It looks enticing from the outside, and the rooms and decor have been well refurbished. The room itself was of a good size, with a comfortable bed and flat screen TV / DVD player. Small but very nice ensuite wet room with a fantastic shower.

The staff were all extemely welcoming and helpful - service couldn't have been better and the 5 stars is thoroughly deserved. Food was excellent - a good menu with ample choice and everything was cooked beautifully. Definitely worth staying for dinner - breakfast was equally appetising.

All in all, definitely recommended for a stay, and as a base to explore Dorset / Wiltshire / Somerset borders.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed as part of a larger group for a Friday and Saturday when some friends were married in Sherbourne. Having visited the pub several years ago before the current extensive renovations we were so impressed with the Kings Arms. The restaurant and bar were comfortable and welcoming, with great local artwork being displayed.
Our room was great, a really good size with a tasteful, boutique feel to each individually decorated room, (as we had quite a few friends staying there too, we were lucky enough to sneak a look at a couple of other rooms!) Our shower room was also impressive with floor to ceiling stone tiles and a fab walk in shower.
The staff were also great, really helpful and accommodating, (as expected in a hotel but rare!!) rushing around for us when they realised that the girls were not included in the Ushers breakfast to organise food for us too!
All this is made so much more impressive considering the very reasonable room price at £85 per night.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Lucypayne
West Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

We arrived late for lunch but that was no problem for them. We were still given the choice of the full menu Such a friendly and pleasant welcome after a long drive.
It was our wedding anniversary and the evening dinner was absolutely perfect.
The room was exquisite, especially the bathroom with power shower.
I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Sherborne
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!