Castle Dargan
$158
Hotels.com
$147
Good 3.5/5
Sligo City Hotel(Sligo)(Great Value!)
$165
No availability for your dates from our partners
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
1,298 results
All reviewsgolf courseon arrivalthe main hotelround of golfwalled gardenspa treatmentsrelaxation roomspa areaplay golfrelaxing breakthe ground floorwedding venueold housesligo townbar foodnight breakfrom start to finish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The hotel is about a 10min drive from Sligo town, situated off the main road up a lovely tree lined drive which eliminates traffic noise making it nice and peaceful.
We stayed for two nights mid week on a bed, breakfast & dinner package. Overall its very good value for money. Plenty to choose from for breakfast, the usual hot foods plus a choice of cereal, breads and pastries. One thing I noticed was that they bring out toast to your table whether you asked for it or not which from looking at other tables often went to waste. As we were on a dinner package we had our meals upstairs from the bar & could choose from a set menu. The vegetarian options on both nights weren’t to my taste so they kindly made something different for me, nothing more than pasta mixed with veg of the day & sauce but it did the trick.
The bar serves food also, I only glanced at the menu but it looked good from what I could see. The bar itself it quite small but there is a nice lounge area just off it where you can sit and relax with your drink and a book.
The rooms were nice, ours had a double & a single. Unfortunately, our room didnt have a view, unless the roof counts. We did request one but of course they would be subject to availability. It’s a pity as the golf course and grounds looked quite nice.
We used the spa which was lovely, they offer a wide range of treatments where before & after you can unwind in the relaxation area which looks out over the golf course. I really enjoyed that, bliss!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KerryPenguin
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This hotel is beautiful but a little out of the way. Ideal if you like rural settings. We had dinner in the bar which was really tasty & great prices. The staff were very friendly & helpful the only big let down was the noise in the rooms.

We were in a walled garden suite on the ground floor (301) The noise of people coming back to their rooms was horrendous. I was woken at 2:30am with doors banging & feet stomping on the wooden floors upstairs. Then the children & I were woken at 4:05 am. This time the doors banging, feet stomping & chairs dragging lasted for an HOUR. I was really unhappy about this & informed reception the next morning. I had brought my toddler daughters down to Sligo for an all day event & then I wad to drive 3 1/2 hours home with very little sleep. I would recommend this hotel but do not book the walled garden suites.

1  Thank purple_swb
Reviewed July 6, 2010

just back from two nights in this hotel with husaband a young family, have to say it was the best family rooms ever, at no extra cost we were given a garden walled suite with very large living dining and kitchen area, two large bedrooms and a bathroom, no more cot squeezed into the cornor of a medium sized hotel room, this was just fab! only down side is that you cant order room service as you are in a seperate building, but the advantage of the large and very spacious room totally out weighs this. highly recommend this hotel staff at reception were very friendly.

Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed here on the 3rd July on a GAA Supervalu 1 night break e39pps with our two children 8 & 10yrs old going free. We were given a walled garden suite which was extremely spacious & comfy with large sitting/kitchen area, 2 double bedrooms, bathroom, hall, all in tip top shape. Beds were very comfy, I did not wake till 9.30am which is a first for me...normally I hear the dawn chorus. The scenery and surrounding area is very relaxing. Staff were all friendly & helpful. Breakfast was plentiful with lots on offer. It was buffet style and all fresh & tasty. In rushing to get a lift to a match I left my car keys dangling from the car door which I didn`t realize till next morning. Thank you to the kind person who handed them into reception. I did not visit the spa as we did not have enough time. It would be great if this hotel had a swimming pool. I would recommend a few basic dishes & cutlery in the kitchen area especially for families who might have peckish children in the evening. There were more than enough towels and even facecloths, something you don`t see much of in hotels these days. In conclusion I could find no fault with this hotel and would definetly recommend it to my friends and will myself return.....hopefully sooner rather than later !

Reviewed May 18, 2010

Myself and my husband recently spent a weekend in Castle Dargan. We got an amazing rate of €50 per room per night using our Super Value Getaway tokens. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and had looked at the photos and was really looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I was expecting an ‘Olde World’ style room, so was pretty surprised when our room turned out to be a generic box. Our room was on the ground floor, about 5 doors down from reception so as you can imagine, it was pretty noisy. I did request to be moved and was told there were no more rooms available. The noise was bearable at first, but by 3am, it sounded like there was a party going on right outside our door… oh wait, there was! There were also people smoking outside our window, so it had a nice surround sound effect. The door at the top of our corridor leading to reception was wedged open, so we couldn’t even close that. I tried ringing reception at 11pm to see if it was possible to get the door closed and there was no answer. Luckily we are both heavy sleepers so we were able to get some sleep, but a light sleeper would have been awake til at least 4.30am.

The room itself was fine, no more than that. Like I said, I was expecting a room with some character, but it really was a soulless box. It was a good size however and very clean. The bed was king size and divinely comfortable. There was no remote control for the television and when my husband went to get one from reception, they gave him a brand new one that wasn’t programmed and had no batteries! Because the room was on the ground floor, the bathroom was disabled access. The shower cubicle only came up to your hip, so it was impossible to shower without turning the entire bathroom into a wet room. There was no shelf in the shower to put any cosmetics. The sink in the bathroom was the tiniest I have ever seen. It was like something you would see in the smallest of under stairs WC’s. So again, every time you put on the tap, you ended up drenching the floor (or yourself). There was no mirror over the sink, it was over to the side, so my husband had fun trying to shave! There were no shelves to store cosmetics at all in the bathroom, the only place to put your stuff was a raised skirting board that ran around the bathroom. Not very practical when you’re trying to put on makeup and keep having to crouch down to find what you’re looking for. I have to say it was one of the most poorly designed bathrooms I have ever come across. Which is a pity, as it was a good size and very clean.

Our rate did not include breakfast, so I cannot comment on that. The hotel reception area and bar were nice, but nothing special. You could have been in any chain hotel in the world, they really fail to capitalise on their great location. I have a feeling that the nicest rooms are in the main house, the rooms in the modern annex are only so-so and I certainly feel we were given a poor room because of the rate we paid. I would give this hotel a 2 and a half stars if I could, but as it is, it does not rate a 3 star so I will give it 2. The only saving graces for me were the comfortable bed and the lovely location.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple