“Lovely”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
New York, NY
“Lovely”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Attended a wedding here in August, 2008. The staff is great. Food was wonderful. Would absolutely stay here again

• Liked — Room, food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Dublin
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights - arrived New Years Eve. Nothing bad at all to say about this hotel, staff, rooms, food, everything fantastic!!!

Everyone was so nice & helpful, had lovely meal and drinks on New Years Eve (food absolutely perfect)

The Lounge off the bar was so lovely and could of sat in front of the fire all night

Went away for a relaxing/romantic 3 day break and I got just that it was perfect, cannot say enough good things about this place - it is a must!!!!

• Liked — Everything - staff, rooms, food, decor, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Galway
Reviewed November 26, 2008

Excellent.... staff very polite... hydrospa lovely and food was just fantastic in every respect! better than any restaraunt I've been to for a while... breakfast was perfect... had really relaxing time.... the long room of the bar section was really nicely decorated, with big couches to just sink into and have a few drinks... will definitely go there again... even if only to eat... but more likely to stay longer thanthe last time!

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere...
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
tyrone
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Having stayed at Castle Dargan Hotel recently I felt compelled on my return home to contact them to highlight where I felt they got it wrong...I still await any response!This is a copy of the e-mail I sent...
"To celebrate my wife's birthday last week we decided to book into Castle Dargan for Wednesday night.We chose the hotel because of the standard of the reviews on Trip Advisor and their fantastic web site which seemed to offer everything we were looking for: a tranquil setting,good restaurant and bar area with either a free Spa treatment or round of golf(both golfers) to pamper ourselves with.
On arrival at the hotel we were checked-in by a very friendly and efficient receptionist who pointed us in the "general direction" of our room...Lake Isle Suite...and because it isn't a part of the main hotel building,a Porter to help with the luggage and finding the room would have been most welcome.Not what you come to expect when arriving at a 4*establishment. We had opted for the Spa treatment(due to the rather inclement weather) and asked if we could reschedule our appointment as road works en-route meant we would have been rushing to keep our time..on contacting the Spa,no one there had ever heard of us;I was able to show the receptionist on my mobile phone were the hotel had called me the previous evening to arrange a time. The hotel's reputation for excellence and high standard in "customer care" slogan(on their web page)seemed nothing short of a misnomer so early into our stay.
On entering the Lake Isle Suite we were highly impressed,not just with the decor and setting but the high standard of cleanliness and housekeeping. We frequented the restaurant for dinner.My wife ordered some of the "House White"(I don't drink wine)to accompany her meal;it was not available! The starter I ordered was also unavailable but I asked if I could have the Seafood Chowder, which I had seen earlier on the Bar Food menu...astonishingly this option was refused, as seemingly, a different chef cooks for the bar area...I didn't fancy leaving my wife to have my starter alone in the bar and returning for my main course in the restaurant.
Thursday morning we arrived for breakfast into a busy breakfast room;we proceeded to the buffet table to find an acute shortage of cereal bowls...they duly arrived some 10 minutes later,having requested some from three differnt members of staff.The "Hot Buffet breakfast" was paltry!!..over cooked sausages,under cooked bacon,beans which were stuck to the chaffing dish and cold black pudding.Not the start to the day we had anticipated. It would be a shame if,due to the complete lack of management and staff leadership,so evident from arrival until departure,that your fantastic amenity and wonderful location was allowed to disintegrate. I hope you accept my comments as constructive criticism and the next time we visit Castle Dargan it will be memorable for all the right reasons."

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank strabanian
Donegal
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed for my 21st birthday as a present from my friends. at first the hotel seemed to be nice, but when i went for something to eat it all went wrong. The waitress ignored us for such a long time then when she eventually took our order she forgot to order one of the main meals so when they came out my friend had to order another meal as the salmon i think it was was not available any more as they had ran out and she had to wait around 15mins for her meal. then when we were finished we had noone come to us to clear our plates, we had intended to get desserts but gave up. apart from that the hotel was very nice and the reception staff and the rooms made the hotel worth staying in.

• Liked — The reception staff
  • Disliked — the restaurant staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We stayed at Castle Dargan after a recommendation by a friend and we were not dissapointed. We stayed for just one weekend but we will be back!! This was a pampering trip for my Girlfriend and we had booked a couple of treatments in their Spa (im told they were superb:))
The hotel has a bar and restaurant overloooking the golf course and we ate in the Hall Door on one night, again very nice.
We both found that the staff couldnt do enough for us, very friendly and attentive throughout our stay.
Thanks to all

• Liked — The staff, location
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Firstly, not to do too much injustice to Castle Dargan, if you are a golfer then this is probably a good place to visit, if like me you are not then this hotel is an absolute no-no. Castle and Wellness conjure up images that are unfortunately not there on arrival. It looks like a holiday inn. My limited golfing knowledge would lead me to say that the course looks beautiful and there looks like there are excellent facilities......if youre a golfer. No pool, no gym, the bar had all the atmosphere of a wake, no grounds to speak of even for a walk around, unless you walk the golf course, the first floor room we were given had a fold down bed. Why? Why on earth would you need this in a hotel room. It was also the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in in my life. TV didnt work (now im looking for poor points) and the uncontrollable temperature in the room was unbearable. Having read other reviews, I can only assume that they are all from Golfers. On the day we arrived, 90% of the car park had Dublin cars parked there, no doubt on a jolly over to Sligo which im sure is great craic.....if you're a golfer. "Castle" Dargan should maybe rethink its name and perhaps be a little more honest in what it is. "Wellness" means expensive spa treatments and not your usual lazing about in the pool or sauna, but if you want a pool you can go into Sligo (14k away) and do all that stuff there says the information book in your room. On a positive note, the food and the staff, who were all very honest when asked what was there to do, are all to be given 5 stars. No complaints on that score whatsoever but do not be fooled by the name of this establishment. Ballygawley Golf Club with rooms would be more accurate. My wife and I were here for 2 nights but left after 1. Not the place for a couples getaway by any stretch of the imagination unless of course........well you know the rest.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!