“would stay again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Donegal
“would stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed for my 21st birthday as a present from my friends. at first the hotel seemed to be nice, but when i went for something to eat it all went wrong. The waitress ignored us for such a long time then when she eventually took our order she forgot to order one of the main meals so when they came out my friend had to order another meal as the salmon i think it was was not available any more as they had ran out and she had to wait around 15mins for her meal. then when we were finished we had noone come to us to clear our plates, we had intended to get desserts but gave up. apart from that the hotel was very nice and the reception staff and the rooms made the hotel worth staying in.

• Liked — The reception staff
  • Disliked — the restaurant staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

We stayed at Castle Dargan after a recommendation by a friend and we were not dissapointed. We stayed for just one weekend but we will be back!! This was a pampering trip for my Girlfriend and we had booked a couple of treatments in their Spa (im told they were superb:))
The hotel has a bar and restaurant overloooking the golf course and we ate in the Hall Door on one night, again very nice.
We both found that the staff couldnt do enough for us, very friendly and attentive throughout our stay.
Thanks to all

• Liked — The staff, location
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

Firstly, not to do too much injustice to Castle Dargan, if you are a golfer then this is probably a good place to visit, if like me you are not then this hotel is an absolute no-no. Castle and Wellness conjure up images that are unfortunately not there on arrival. It looks like a holiday inn. My limited golfing knowledge would lead me to say that the course looks beautiful and there looks like there are excellent facilities......if youre a golfer. No pool, no gym, the bar had all the atmosphere of a wake, no grounds to speak of even for a walk around, unless you walk the golf course, the first floor room we were given had a fold down bed. Why? Why on earth would you need this in a hotel room. It was also the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in in my life. TV didnt work (now im looking for poor points) and the uncontrollable temperature in the room was unbearable. Having read other reviews, I can only assume that they are all from Golfers. On the day we arrived, 90% of the car park had Dublin cars parked there, no doubt on a jolly over to Sligo which im sure is great craic.....if you're a golfer. "Castle" Dargan should maybe rethink its name and perhaps be a little more honest in what it is. "Wellness" means expensive spa treatments and not your usual lazing about in the pool or sauna, but if you want a pool you can go into Sligo (14k away) and do all that stuff there says the information book in your room. On a positive note, the food and the staff, who were all very honest when asked what was there to do, are all to be given 5 stars. No complaints on that score whatsoever but do not be fooled by the name of this establishment. Ballygawley Golf Club with rooms would be more accurate. My wife and I were here for 2 nights but left after 1. Not the place for a couples getaway by any stretch of the imagination unless of course........well you know the rest.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

When I arrived I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The rooms were absolutely beautiful with every luxury available. Once my head hit the pillow and I sunk into the bed I did not think I even moved. The bathroom was a dream come true. I traveled with a party of 6 and we all agreed that we should have booked our rooms for at least a week. We enjoyed an absolutely delicious dinner in their dining room, which had a spectacular view of the golf course and some of the old ruins. The staff was extremely helpful with all of our requests. I look forward to staying longer the next time I return to Ireland.

• Liked — Absolute luxury
  • Disliked — I did not book it for one week
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

All the hotel employees were well educated, kind, and very helpful. The hotel itself is so beautiful, clean, well-designed, and quite. The price for the room was very reasonable for the services we have received. The hotel restaurant was also wonderful and excellent. It was one of the best hotels my family and I have ever stayed. My family and I will stay this hotel again when we visit Ireland next time. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

We spent a lovely night at the Castle Dargan Hotel at the end of July 2008 while visiting with relatives in Sligo. There were 21 of us in our group of family/friends, and we stayed in each of the various types of rooms/suites at the hotel. Everyone in our group loved their respective accommodations. I booked the rooms directly with the hotel, via exchange of emails initially, then a follow up phone call. The rates were terrific, probably because we stayed mid-week. The rates included breakfast, which was very good. Some of the group took the advice of the reservations person and booked golf tee time in advance, and they enjoyed it very much. The hotel grounds are beautiful, as is the spa. Unfortunately, we did not heed the advice to book spa treatments in advance, and they were booked when we arrived. As an alternative, some of our group took the opportunity to go to the nearby seaweed baths in Strandhill and loved that experience.
The staff at the Castle Dargan hotel, the restaurant and the bar were all very helpful and friendly. We were sorry we only had the one night to spend here!

• Liked — Luxurious rooms and beautiful views
  • Disliked — nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

Stayed here for a weekend break with my boyfriend. It's not really a castle but rather a modern hotel with remains of a castle (somewhere) on the grounds. The rooms are really nice, quite modern and stylish. We were situated on the ground floor and I could hear people walking past etc and didn't feel 100% private in the room. Had booked a treatment at the SPA and this was really impressive. There is a great "relax" room you can go to and help yourself to herbal teas. I fell asleep there, it was great. The treatment itself (massage) was good, very relaxing.

The hotel is a bit out from Sligo, so you have to get a taxi in if you want to go out for dinner. it's not too far though. The staff in the hotel were nice. Thought the place was a bit expensive for what it was (190 euro per night). It's probably more suited to golfers as there is apparently a good golf course there.

However, it was a nice place and I would recommend it, but if I was going back to Sligo would probably try to stay in the town.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
Sligo Park Hotel
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!