“Grrrrrrreat spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Grrrrrrreat spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Great place. we spent one night here and on arrival we where greeted by a nice , smiley and very helpful receptionist. we got an apt over looking part of the golf course. nice and big . we dinned in the bar restaurant , we where catered for by Daniel , these lads work hard and non stop so I say a big thank you for the great service. we didn't have to wait for our drinks, food and coffe. first class lads and all done with a smile and a bit of banter. Breakfast was of the same high class service , same again , the staff where so pleasant and on hand for our needs. The golf course was brill , so a big thanks to Xaviar. . I must say the staff at the hotel make it what it is, friendly , relaxing and I`L BE BACK. only down side was , when checking out I wanted to book a weekend in May for us but the Hotel is fully booked , now I know why. Keep up the great work folks and we will see yous again soon .Frankie.

Room Tip: Looks like they are all good rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Frunk M,
Good afternoon to you and thank you for your review of the Castle Dargan four star Resort. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much and I will be letting our head chef and our Food and Beverage manager know that you were so impressed with the service. Please be assured all the Team at Castle Dargan appreciate your kind words. Also we are so happy you enjoyed your round of golf on our Darren Clarke designed golf course. We look forward welcoming you back in the future and again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Nice stay here over the Easter Holidays. Lovely golf course. Holes 3 and 17 are gems. Frendly staff in golf shop and in bar. Lots to do around Sligo. There with partner and kids. Everybody had a good time.

Dear Wombatypus,
We are very pleased you experienced a wonderful and relaxing Easter break with us at our 4star Resort. It was our pleasure to ensure everyone had a good time. Our Golf Pro Xavier Medas is delighted that you enjoyed our Darren Clarke Designed Golf Course. Our professional and friendly staff thank you for your kind words and please be assured I will pass on your comments to all our team at Castle Dargan Resort. We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We have just returned from Sligo having spent two nights bed and breakfast at Castle Dargan and our trip could not have been better. The rooms are luxurious with all the amenities you could possibly need, and a fantastic view of the golf course simply added to the charm. All staff, from the moment we checked in, were pleasent and added to the ambiance which is eveident as soon as you step through the door. Having spent time in both the Spa and on the golf course I can say that the facilities are outstanding and the gof course is stunning with magnificient views of County Sligo. The food served in the restaurant was great and was also good value, and we particularly enjoyed the views from the bar each evening. We had a truly plesant stay and will rerurn.

Dear Caolan D,
Our team are delighted is to hear that you found everything of exceptional standards. We aimed to ensure that every resident is made feel at home in their new surroundings of our beautiful Resort. I will pass on your positive comments to our head chef and our food and beverage manager Matthew McDonagh regarding your meals and service. On behalf of all our friendly & courteous team thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Dargan in the near future.
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We chose the hotel to break up the journey from Cork to County Donegal and it served it's purpose very, very well. On check -in we were welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine which we enjoyed in the old banqueting hall - a very pleasant area to relax. The bedrooms were very clean and were very large with a massive bed. It was all quite modern and functional - perfect for what we were after. Dinner was ok and moderately priced, but nothing to get excited about. We walked the track through the course to the old ruined castle and that was pleasant.

The one drawback was that chaos reigned at breakfast where the tables were full, the bread basket empty and it seemed that the first really busy morning of the season had caught staff unawares. We did get there though, the bread basket was filled and we got our hots ok. For the price we paid and the purpose of our stay, it is very difficult to fault and I would use the hotel again (though not for a long stay).

• 3 of 5 bubbles
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear JGrant44,
We are delighted to read you had an excellent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. We are happy you enjoyed our new and popular walking trail to the ruins of Castle Dargan. Our accommodation Manager Joanna appreciates and thanks you for your kind words regarding you room. We are constantly pursuing new ideas to deal with the over flow of breakfast customers when it is busy and we do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. It is always pleasing to read that a guest will be returning to us in the future and the Castle Dargan team look forward to ensuring you have an exceptional stay.
Mayo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed for one night b&b and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the actual house in the Clock Tower room which had a fantastic view of the golf course. Our room was great with quite a large bathroom and good sized bedroom with some old charm.
We relaxed for the afternoon with a few drinks in the bar, again over-looking the golf course. John in the bar is a true professional and interacts with all his customers in such a friendly manner. We also tried our hand at the par3 golf. Even though we are not greatly into golf there seems to be a fantastic golf shop there to cater to everyones needs.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was very reasonably priced, indeed our accommodation was very reasonably priced also. Dinner was good but not great. My lamb was a little on the cold side but as the veg etc. were piping hot I didn't make an issue out of it. The desserts were to die for!!
The reception staff were extremely friendly and professional from check in, to each time we passed the desk to our check out. I think it was Christine who greeted us and checked us out.
The bed was very comfortable and everything you needed was provided in the room.
Breakfast the next morning was good with the exception that the sausages were all wrinkled and were either cooked for a long time or re-heated but they were still edible!! The breakfast staff were very friendly from Mario to the manager.
We were going to book the Spa but as we had made our reservation quite late we were expecting that there would be limited appointments which unfortunately there were and the times didn't suit - maybe next time!
All in all my partner and I had a wonderful 1 night stay and would highly recommend it to anyone (I already have actually!!). Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay

Room Tip: The house rooms are lovely with a bit of charm rather than your usual hotel rooms which we would nor...
1 Thank Niamh B
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Niamh B,
It is with great pleasure to read of your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. Our team are delighted to hear that you found everything of exceptional standards. We aim to ensure that every person who walks into Castle Dargan Resort is given first class VIP treatment and feel very welcome along with all guests. I will pass on your positive comments to our head chef and our food and beverage manager regarding your meals and service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Dargan in the near future and hopefully next time you will get to experience our Heavenly Icon Spa.
Co Down
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Booked this trip for a break with our children. Would have came home early only it had taken 3 hours to get there.....
1. Had asked for a top floor apartment. Told on arrival that they were too busy to accommodate this.
2. The '2 bedroom lodge' (which was the only reason we were here) consisted of a double bed (well two singles pushed together), a single bed in the second room and a bed in the living room! Given that a) we were travelling with two children b) the living room was open plan to kitchen dining and also had the front door to apartment which had no curtain or blind (I.e. someone could've looked in to where the 4th person was supposed to sleep), we ended up moving the bed into the 2nd bedroom.
3. The walls need a good painting and the apartment needed a deep clean......the floors were dirty. The wall around where the bed in the living room had been made me question as to whether it had been strategically placed there to disguise the marks all over the wall! There was a dining table with only three of the chairs????????? The tv is too small for the size of the room and situated in the stupidest of places on the wall. You will end up with a sore neck trying to watch it!
4. The dishwasher was on and full of dishes......I am on my holiday here. I'm not there to do the housekeeping job.
5. The park for the kids needs some attention - someone had went to the bother of cutting part of the grass around it yet left the back part of it unattended.
6. Went to the bar for something to eat on the first night. Weren't very busy as it was only around 5pm - took ages to come. And was not worth the wait. My husband and I had burgers (which weren't cooked correctly and tasted pretty bland with burnt burger buns??!!!!
7. Witnessed an employee clearing the tables and he didn't have a cloth or cleaning spray, opting to instead gather the crumbs in his hand. This summed this experience up for me.
8. The room was 'cleaned' the next day. The beds in the second room were not made up.
9. On arriving back from being out for the day the kitchen/living area stank of gas. Was concerned about this but was told by reception that this was probably because 'it had just fired up and usually depended on what way the wind was blowing'. Nevertheless we were not to worry as there were monoxide alarms in the apartments (my fears were obviously alleviated by these comments especially when my daughter was asking me what the smell was). I was thankful we had the wit to move the bed out of the living room on the first night!

All in all not a great hotel. There is no real atmosphere and I think the fact that you can walk through a hotel reception where the staff cannot lift their heads to wish you a good morning/evening sums up the 'customer service'. The building and grounds have the potential to be a lovely hotel but the service, food, decor and lack of Irish welcome means that this hotel is definitely NOT a four star.

The promised 'home away from home experience in the the 16 Walled Garden Apartments' was not delivered and 'the stunning views of Co Sligo' from the apartment were actually a stone wall.

There are loads of better 4 star hotels in Ireland - this one is most definitely a let down. The hotel does not provide a brochure or hotel ammenities folder (with local information) in the rooms. This is another issue. I think the most annoying thing is that people take the time to rate the hotel on this website and many people before me have raised the same issues (which is why I nearly cancelled my booking in the first place). The 'guest relations manager' takes the time to reply to them when in fact the hotel should be addressing the points raised in order to try and raise it's game.

Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid the apartments but if you are set on staying in one get a high floor (as you may avail of the...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank New_mumCoDown
Dear New_mumCoDown,
Your review is appreciated and I am very sorry that our normal 4* standards did not reach you on this occasion. We take your comments very seriously regarding gas but fortunately there have never been issues with gas at Castle Dargan Resort and if this was to happen, our team would act immediately. The safety of our guests is always our first priority and we would have acted right away if indeed there was a gas leak or emergency. We have reviewed all your issues with our management and I would ask you to contact me directly on 071 9118080 or kenneth@castledargan.com as I would like to investigate these issues further with you. We do apologise for the problems you encountered with your stay and please be assured that this is not the norm at Castle Dargan Resort. I look forward speaking with you in the near future.
Bradford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Really excellent place to stay. Not cheap but worth it for the golf and great service. Excellent room and superb breakfast. Very enjoyable. There are a no. of bars and the food is very good. Surrounded by lovely countryside. Maybe best for a couple of nights max.

Dear LastOfTheCelts,
Thank you for your kind comments about the Castle Dargan Resort. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our 170 Acres of rolling parkland in our magnificent country setting on the North West Coast of Ireland. Xavier Medas our Golf Pro is pleased you enjoyed our Darren Clarke designed golf course. Our team love to ensure the best service possible to all our guests, please be assured your feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kenneth Appleby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!