Castle Dargan
$96
  • Restaurant
$85
Good 3.5/5
Sligo City Hotel(Sligo)(Great Value!)
$101
Excellent 5/5
$101
$98
1,296 results
All reviewsgolf courseon arrivalthe main hotelround of golfwalled gardenspa treatmentsrelaxation roomspa areaplay golfrelaxing breakthe ground floorwedding venueold housesligo townbar foodnight breakfrom start to finish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here on a groupon deal. No wifi available except in the lobby area, which was cold and uninviting.( It states in the hotels brochure that all rooms have free wifi!). There was no-one in the hotel during our stay. We ate in the bar on our first night and it took forever for the food to arrive- that said it was very tasty. We advised the receptionist regarding our lack of wifi and she said she would move us the next morning- when we arrived at reception the next morning she hadn't arranged anything. The man who was with her told my husband- who had a web seminar that day that there were plenty of bars and restaurants with free wifi around the area-how unprofessional.
The shower in the room was laughable, I have a better one at home. It was a complete waste of time even trying to attempt a shower. The position of the soap tray and a railing in the shower made it impossible to turn around, and I am by no means large!. The tea/coffee wasnt topped up. Even though there were two of us staying in the room we were left only one bar of soap, one shower gel and one shampoo- how tight!. Our stay included a so-called treatment in the spa- we had to ask the receptionist about this. We were advised we had a choice of two-either a dry floatation or some kind of jacuzzi bath- not what I would call a treatment- What a swizz!!. Having said all this the room was hugh, the bed was very comfortable, and the room was spotless. Its such a shame that there were so many issues otherwise it would be a lovely place. as it is I would not recommend Castle Dargan to anyone- there are other hotels in the area who provide a far better service and wifi. No complimentary use of the golf course either!!.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane D
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Jane D,
Thank you for your review of Castle Dargan Resort and your kind words about our food & room’s.

I am extremely surprised and disappointed to learn of your issues you have highlighted above with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. Please be assured that I fully intend to address this matter with the relevant personnel, as this is totally unacceptable.

Just to clarify Jane D, it is the Dry Float or Balneotherapy treatment that is offered on the groupon deal. The dry float gives complete relaxation of the muscular system & joints and the Balneotherapy by means of thousands of bubbles massage your body, while powerful natural ingredients work on cleansing, detoxifying, relaxing and rebalancing the body.

We also have a complimentary par 3 golf course for all residents in addition to our special rate green fee for our Darren Clarke designed golf course.

I would ask you to please contact me directly at kenneth@castledargan.com as we take our customer feedback very seriously and I am very interested in hearing more about your experience.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Spent a family weekend here. Lovely hotel, great rooms and very helpful staff. Played golf on a great course - lovely views and the guinness and snacks went down a treat after it.

Had a lovely dinner on the Saturday evening and the staff were more than happy to accomodate the needs of our family get to gether.

Really impressed and will return. A few family members spent time in the spa and enjoyed it too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DJCahill
CastleDargan, General Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear DJCahill,
Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I thank you in particular for your kind words about our staff, food, location & golf course. I look forward having the pleasure of welcoming back on your in the near future. Be assured I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in garden view apartments and got a great pamper package on the hotel website . We had a meal for 2 plus 2 nights accommodation with 2 massage treatments. Meal was average but the massage was top class

Room was superb- we weren't expecting such luxury with under floor heating in bathroom and great views from the large ceiling to floor windows in the living area. We had a fantastic romantic weekend. We drove to Strandhill for beach walks and amazing sunset dining at the Venue restaurant. Best weekend away in a long time.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank LuvmygrubDublin
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear LuvmygrubDublin
Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I thank you in particular for your kind words regarding our facilities & Icon Spa. I look forward having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Be assured I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Castle Dargan Hotel certainly looks like its earned it 4 star rating on arrival. Check in was painless with reception being friendly and helpful.
First view of the walled garden apartment was impressive (see photos) there is a huge lounge come dining area, with good views over the Sligo countryside.
There is a sink, fridge (good for chilling the white wine) and kettle in what would be the kitchen if it had a cooker?
We had asked for a "Double" room and initially were impressed with the size of the bed but it didn't live up to expectations as it was two single beds fastened together, which still had a uncomfortable ridge down the centre, not conducive to a good nights sleep. (Even with the benefit of 1/2 bottle of Merlot & the odd Guinness)
The facilities were a shower room consisting of sink WC & shower, it was clean-ish but could of done with a deep clean especially around the exterior left lower of the shower? it was advertised that "Luxurious Robes and Slippers in all
Rooms" but after a 4 hour drive not worth causing a fuss.

Dinner the first night was from the Table d'hote Menu, the dining room was not busy, the staff were attentive the food was good but not excellent, 3* yes definitely not 4*! A amuse -bouche was served which was a coated deep froed king prawn with a chilli sauce, lovely and crisp coat and the prawn was cooked just right. My Tian of Smoked Chicken starter was nicely presented, with its own little side salad, it was not spicy but did have good flavours, my partner opted for the Caprese Salad which was also well presented, crunchy and with a nice dressing. For the main course my partner opted for the Seared Chicken Supreme which came as a stuffed & cooked chicken breast sliced in half on a bed of mashed potato. I had opted for the Sirloin Steak with chasseur sauce, this also came on a bed of mashed potatoes and a serving of seasonable vegetables (new potatoes (overcooked) peas, carrots and broccoli) My partner enjoyed her dish but remarked it wasn't as good as she had expected likewise my steak was more medium than rare and surprisingly tough to cut? it did taste nice was not exactly fine dining. On the plus side the mash was very good! My partner opted for the Vanilla panna cotta with strawberries, cream and a raspberry coulis, which she said was very nice. I had the ice cream selection, which was vanilla, strawberry and chocolate
with cream and coulis and tasted fairly ordinary.

Breakfast was good with many choices, enough to fit nearly anyone's diet a good breakfast sets you up for the day.

Dinner on the second night was on the 59 euro deal,which you have to book prior to dining, this consists of a 4 course meal for two plus a bottle of wine, & the food is shown on the early bird menu. My partner selected the Castle Dargan Caesar Salad with bacon lardons, croutons & Castle Dargan dressing which did look nice and passed muster. I decided on the Atlantic Seafood Chowder finished with Vermouth, this was a dish with a complexity of flavours bursting out, it was fresh tasted of the sea and was intensely satisfying, I would say this was the only 4* dish I tasted on my stay. Sublime!!! The main's were Grilled Fillet of Atlantic Salmon with scallion potato cake, dill and white wine sauce for my partner and Goujons of Fresh Atlantic Cod with home made dill & lemon mayonnaise for me, my partner reported hers was good but not exceptional while I found the cod was cooked beautifully, but the batter was soft not crispy in any way, a bit of a disappointment really, desert was chef home made special of meringue, cream and coulis, the meal was washed down with a bottle of Rose D'Anjou . The dining room the second night was very busy with the staff covering diners not only in the dining room but also in a very busy bar, 3 hours for the meal?
Checkout like check in was painless, the receptionist suggested paying in sterling as this was much less than paying in euros.
I will recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a quiet time away in beautiful countryside possibly with a penchant for golf, however we're foodies and the food was not quite up to 4* standard, we did enjoy our time there, the apartment is nice and gives a feel of home away from home

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hutch955,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, facilities & our high standards. I look forward having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Be assured I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a family wedding and stayed 1 night. The whole experience was great. The room was clean, the bed large and comfy, the breakfast was quite good, there was a nice atmosphere in the place. The staff in the reception were effecient, check in was fast and helpful. The hotel as a wedding venue was lovely, the initial reception was great, the couple had canapés, endless prosecco and a fab 3 piece band, great warm up for any wedding and the party kicked off immediately.The wedding meal was very tasty, a little slow serving but very enjoyable with plenty of seconds if required. All in all a wonderful venue and excellent day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cbt.ie
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear cbt.ie,

Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your family wedding with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I thank you in particular for your kind words about our staff, food & atmosphere. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Be assured I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff.