Castle Dargan
$162
$135
Priceline
$147
Sligo City Hotel(Sligo)(Great Value!)
$165
$151
$145
$89
  • Restaurant
$158
$157
$141
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
1,298 results
All reviewsgolf courseon arrivalthe main hotelround of golfwalled gardenspa treatmentsrelaxation roomspa areaplay golfrelaxing breakthe ground floorwedding venueold housesligo townbar foodnight breakfrom start to finish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Castle Dargan having been here twice before during the past 5 years. It was a spontaneous booking, we woke up and decided to take a road trip so booked it for that night. Upon arrival we were informed that there were no double rooms, so had been upgraded to the Sally Garden Suite in Castle Dargan House (just next to the hotel) - we were delighted!

The room was beautiful, old style, massive comfy bed, huge windows looking out over the golf course, and the bathroom was the same size as the large room with a claw foot bath also looking over the hills - beautiful. As ever all the staff were great at check in and the room was clean and well maintained.

Unfortunately we had repeated problems with heating over the 2 days we were there. As it's an old house, it's single glazing and it was blowing a crazy gale this weekend as well as being around zero through the night. The rooms in the House (not the main hotel) are not individually temperature controlled, and the heat was always going off and probably due to the weather, as soon as the heat went off the place was freezing within an hour. Don't get me wrong, whenever we rang reception they were great and the heat was switched back on straight away, but it only lasted a couple of hours before we were having to ring again. It was 6 or 7 times we had it fixed, and one time the manager came over and commented on the cold, saying she would set the heat to constant instead of timed. We went out for the afternoon and when we came back, baltic again! If we'd stayed another night we'd have asked to be moved back in to the modern hotel.

We always enjoy sitting in the bar, and always eat there too. The food this time was ok, but I'm sure in the past when we've had chips they've been nice chunky chips, they seem to have switched to limp skinny fries, which is a shame. It just wasn't the same quality as in the past. Decent enough value though.

Delighted to report the breakfasts are still delicious though! The only gripe I have at breakfast is that when they meet you at the door, they ask if you would prefer tea or coffee. Then when you're half way done and still waiting on your tea, different staff are running round asking people whether they're waiting on tea or coffee. Some ask if you want white/brown toast, some just bring you what you're given (although always happy to change if asked). My suggestion to the hotel would be to just have the person greeting mark the room off, and have someone in the room going round taking the tea & toast orders. Or, if staff is short, the person at the door should actually note where you're sitting and put in your tea/coffee order. Also there is no brown/red sauce out, and one day we were brought toast with no butter, and one day there was jam out, the next you had to ask for it. The staff are great when you do ask them, but really it shouldn't be unusual to expect sauce/butter/jam to be readily available.

Anyway I'm going off on a negative rant - not intended as I say we've had 2 5* stays at this place before and we still had a lovely weekend - just a shame it's lost a bit of sparkle.

Would still come back though, but would probably look at other area hotels for a try next time.

Room Tip: Don't go for a suite in Castle Dargan House unless it's good weather - stay in the modern part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear JenRobo6983,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I am so glad that you had such a lovely weekend with us. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our staff and facilities. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people. Also I would like to thank you for letting us know where we can improve things on & apologise for the shortcomings you experienced, we do value our customer feedback and indeed understand the importance of them. Be assured the areas in which you pointed out will be reviewed with management. I look forward seeing you back at Castle Dargan sometime soon and please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you.
Kind Regards
Kenneth
kenneth@castledargan.com

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Good location and area and we enjoyed our stay in the area. My first eye opener was that our preferred dinner dessert wasn't available. (we weren't charged for it) There is nothing luxurious about the bedrooms (not the one we were in). The bathroom handbasin was filthy with some vile, smelly substance coming out of the plug hole. No matter how agile you are the light switches cannot be reached from the bed. There is one white switch (an eyesore) on the cheap looking wooden awning high over the bed. Not easy to get at either. It seems to me that a canopy was erected over the bed but the leads to the bedside lights were never extended. I commented (and wrote) to reception and I got the impression that it wasn't the first time this anomaly was brought to their attention. I expected the courtesy of an acknowledgment but of course got none. Luxurious isn't a word I'd use for Castle Dargan.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mairtin O,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our setting.

I am disappointed to learn of your recent experience at Castle Dargan Resort. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you encountered with your stay. Please be assured that we have fully addressed this matter with the relevant personnel, as this is totally unacceptable. I can assure you that your recent experience at Castle Dargan is certainly not the norm and I would ask you to contact me directly as to resolve any negative feelings you have towards Castle Dargan.

I do hope you will return to the hotel in the future, as we would welcome an opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kind regards,
kenneth@castledargan.com

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a 2 night stay at the hotel. The Table d'Hote menu had very good options. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The bedroom was lovely as was the bathroom but the shower pressure quite low. The grounds are pleasant for a short walk. Would definitely recommend this hotel for those who intend driving to visit Sligo town and it environs during their stay. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HolsFromDublin

Dear HolsFromDublin,

Thank you for your magnificent review of Castle Dargan Resort and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your kind comments regarding our food, staff & facilities and be assured I will be passing your positive words onto our hard working staff. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just came back from a night in Castle Dargan for Frank White's 90th party. The staff couldnt of been more helpful & nothing was too much trouble - even with all my techincal problems. Our room was spacious & lovely. The bar was overlooking the golf course so we could watch the few who took to the green coming in. The room the function was held in was fantastic, such an intimate room with great charater. We certainly couldnt complain about it being cold - its was so warm. The food & service was excellant & we really had a great night. My only small bad comment is the bar personnel during the day was in total contrast to the rest of the hotel staff.
Thank you for a great stay & will defiently be back.

Room Tip: Any room is good - we were overlooking the front entrance & it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DonegalGal81
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear DonegalGal81,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed Frank White’s 90th party. I especially thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, facilities and high standards. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Castle Dargan Resort in the near future. Rest assured I will inform all the staff of your lovely words.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went to this Hotel with another couple and on arrival on a lovely Sunday afternoon we decided to go for a walk only to see signs everywhere that you can't walk anywhere on the golf course.The hotel was nice itself but nowhere really cosy or comfortable to sit for a drink.The girl on the reception was lovely and couldn't do enough and the dinner in the restuarant was beautiful.The breakfast were also quite good but however the tea and espeacilly the coffee were the worst we have ever had.So all in all we were not to impressed with the Castle Dargan and wouldn't go back.Also this is just our opinion but I believe in giving an honest review.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank liam d
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear liam d,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding our staff & restaurant. Rest assured I will pass on all your comments to the relevant personnel. We do value our customers feedback and it is with great pleasure I can say that we are in the progress (hopefully May) of implementing a 5km loop walk around the golf course for all residents to enjoy.

I’m also sorry that you didn’t get a chance to sit in our 100year old Coach House with its open fire, I’m sure you would have found it cosy.

I do hope you do return back to the hotel in the future as I would really appreciate your feedback when our 5km walk when it is completed.