“Great weekend in Ballygalwey”
Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just came back from a night in Castle Dargan for Frank White's 90th party. The staff couldnt of been more helpful & nothing was too much trouble - even with all my techincal problems. Our room was spacious & lovely. The bar was overlooking the golf course so we could watch the few who took to the green coming in. The room the function was held in was fantastic, such an intimate room with great charater. We certainly couldnt complain about it being cold - its was so warm. The food & service was excellant & we really had a great night. My only small bad comment is the bar personnel during the day was in total contrast to the rest of the hotel staff.
Thank you for a great stay & will defiently be back.

Room Tip: Any room is good - we were overlooking the front entrance & it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DonegalGal81
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear DonegalGal81,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed Frank White’s 90th party. I especially thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, facilities and high standards. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Castle Dargan Resort in the near future. Rest assured I will inform all the staff of your lovely words.

Kenneth Appleby

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went to this Hotel with another couple and on arrival on a lovely Sunday afternoon we decided to go for a walk only to see signs everywhere that you can't walk anywhere on the golf course.The hotel was nice itself but nowhere really cosy or comfortable to sit for a drink.The girl on the reception was lovely and couldn't do enough and the dinner in the restuarant was beautiful.The breakfast were also quite good but however the tea and espeacilly the coffee were the worst we have ever had.So all in all we were not to impressed with the Castle Dargan and wouldn't go back.Also this is just our opinion but I believe in giving an honest review.

1  Thank liam d
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear liam d,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding our staff & restaurant. Rest assured I will pass on all your comments to the relevant personnel. We do value our customers feedback and it is with great pleasure I can say that we are in the progress (hopefully May) of implementing a 5km loop walk around the golf course for all residents to enjoy.

I’m also sorry that you didn’t get a chance to sit in our 100year old Coach House with its open fire, I’m sure you would have found it cosy.

I do hope you do return back to the hotel in the future as I would really appreciate your feedback when our 5km walk when it is completed.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and myself spent two nights midweek here recently. The hotel appeared quiet on arrival and had a cool atmosphere. Our room was lovely and spacious overlooking the courtyard and golfcourse the ensuite had shower in the bath. The shower wasn't very strong. Both bedroom and bathroom were spotless. There was no way of adjusting the heat in the room and we found our room was chilly in the evening time. Reception told me the next morning that we should have phoned them to turn up the heat. It was very cold and damp outside. We had breakfast both mornings which was good. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Overall we had a pleasant stay.

1  Thank Gillian H

Dear LizAthlone,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I thank you for your kind comments regarding our high standards and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Castle Dargan Resort in the future. Rest assured I will inform all the staff of your lovely words.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My friend and I went to Castle Dargan on a Groupon deal recently and were delighted with every aspect of our stay: lovely spacious room with view over golf course and hills beyond (very peaceful); delightful walks around the golf course; extremely obliging and professional staff; soft feather pillows and duvets; relaxing spa experience (though the jacuzzi was rather chilly); yummy breakfast and best of all... the early bird dinner. Some early birds scrimp on quality but not here: the steak was especially delicious, very well-cooked and presented with lots of extras. The choice of desserts was a bit limited but we couldn't fit much else in by that stage anyhow. This was a shot in the dark for us but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear luka23,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the service, comfort and facilities in the hotel. If you have plans to return to Sligo at any point please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked a suite in the courtyard of this hotel. We got a massive old fashioned bedroom with no tv but a huge and comfortable bed. There was a seperate sittinng room with a suite of furniture and TV and tea and coffee facilities.
The bathroom was extremely large and your hangers for your clothes was in this room. There was a quaint old fashioned bath, which I discovered disapointedly was for decoration only. :(
The bar itself was quite modern in contrast, but there was not much happening apart from good conversation with the bar manager.
The food was extremely good and homemade ice cream was scrumptuous.
We relaxed for in the spa and used the floatation bed, which was beneficial.
There is a lovely walk around the hotel and golf course and we found no need to leave the hotel and went home refreshed and relaxed.

Room Tip: I would advise going for a room in the courtyard with a nice bottle of wine for an extra special tre...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear deekelly11,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I am so glad that you had such a good time with us. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our staff & facilities. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people.
I look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

excellent food and excellent spa. lovely relaxing hotel. really enjoyed our stay. the valentines dinner was 1st class as was service. this was our second time here and we will def be back

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear amroarty,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I am so glad and delighted that you had such a lovely time with us. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our staff, service & facilities. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people. I look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from three night stay in Castle Dargan and found it to be a wonderful experience. We stayed in the Lake Isle Suite which was beautiful. We had a Spa treatment and both girls were super and enjoyed a light lunch in the bar afterwards. We also ate in the hotel one evening, Early Bird Menu. Having read a few reviews we were a bit apprehensive going in as some of them were not very flattering. However, we were very impressed with view from dining room, friendly and helpful service, and the food was delicious prompting my partner to say how he would like to lick his plate clean!. We will definitely stay here again if back in Sligo.

Dear amroarty,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful experience at our Resort. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our staff, spa & food. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people.
We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.
Kenneth Appleby

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!