“Very nice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Dublin
“Very nice”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on Sunday 21st October, which was a lovely sunny autumn day, and Sligo was looking absolutely beautiful. The approach to the hotel was very pleasant, and we went straight to reception to check in. We were on a 'Grab One' deal, and when we presented our voucher to the receptionist on duty, we were curtly and dismissively told that what we had handed in was not in fact the correct documentation. To say she was less than pleasant would be an understatement! I told her that I had my laptop with me and I could find the voucher and forward it to her, (which I did within ten minutes of arriving at our room). She accepted this and we were assigned our room - a room in Castle Dargan House, for which we paid a supplement - and we were given vouchers for a treatment each in the spa, which were part of the deal we had bought.

We walked over to Castle Dargan House, which is separate to the main hotel, and found our way to the 'Sally Gardens' suite, which we found to be very pleasant. We left in our bags and then went over to the main hotel and had a drink in the bar. The bar staff were more than pleasant - very encouraging after our experience with the receptionist. Bearing this in mind, we looked at the bar menu and later on that evening, that's where we had dinner. Dinner was really good and great value. Again, very pleasant staff for whom nothing was too much trouble.

We had a very comfortable night in the Sally Gardens suite. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the pillows were just perfect. Everything was very clean and well presented and the view from the bay window was beautiful. The bathroom was huge and had an old style roll top bath tub and a large shower.

Breakfast the following morning was buffet style - nothing out of the ordinary, but good and plenty of everything.

We checked out on Monday feeling very refreshed after our night away. We didn't go to the spa for our treatment, deciding to head out to Strandhill instead for a walk in the sun. All in all it was a very pleasant stay in Castle Dargan and I can honestly say it's somewhere we would return to - but I would request to stay in the old house rather than in the main hotel.

As for the receptionist who was rather rude on check in.......by the time we were leaving we were getting beaming smiles from her!!! Happy Days :)

1 Thank Anna27-2
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Anna27_2,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan. I am so glad that you had such a good time with us. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our staff, facilities & food. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people. I look forward welcoming you back to Castle Dargan Resort in the near future

Kenneth Appleby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

For my aunties wedding she had the venue here and i have to say it was brilliant, the rooms were big very clean, nice food and friendly staff. i would defvinitely reccomend this hotel for occasion venues and weekend breaks. it would be suitable for peole the ages 12 and up.

Room Tip: Chose a room closest to the floor because sometimes there be's a queue for the elavator.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tara M
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Tara M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Castle Dargan Resort and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding our hotel, rooms and staff. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Resort in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My sister and I booked a Spa Bliss package in August. We have stayed in Castle Dargan before and were made feel welcome. There was a little hiccup this time with regard to securing our spa appointments however Damien was extremely helpful and ensured we were able to get suitable times on the morning before our departure. The staff in the bar and dining room were also very friendly and helpful. Our spa treatments were fantastically relaxing and did all 'they said on the box'! I would definitely recommend Castle Dargan for a truly warm Cead Mile Failte.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
A Bronach63, A Chara,(Dear Bronach63)

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort and I am so glad that you had such a good time with us. Thank you in particularly for your kind comments regarding our Icon Spa & staff. I will ensure that they are passed on to the relevant people. I look forward welcoming you back to Castle Dargan Resort in the future.

Strabane, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Myself and my husband had a one night stay on 14th october 2012, we chose the romantic night getaway including dinner & bubbly, included in this was breakfast, turndown service, rose petals on your bed and complimenary breakfast delivered to your room, wonderful i thought!!!! When booking this deal by phone directly with a member of castle dargan staff, i asked if we could stay in the walled garden apartments as we had already stayed in the hotel and castle dargan house. This was not a problem!!! On arrival to our apartment i found there to be no bubbly ( prosecco sparkling wine £7 a bottle, on sale in the castle dargan bar for €35) no petals on the bed, a dead spider and cobwebs on the hallway window, dirt marks on the leather sofa, drink stains on the kitchen counter, the windows in the sitting room needed a good clean, the curtains were missing hooks and were just hanging off the rail, the toilet seat wasn't clean and last but not least we discovered that we couldn'y have our breakfast sent to us in our room because that service is not included if your staying in the walled apatments!!!!! Luckily i always bring antibacterial wipes with me so i could clean the toilet myself!!!! The only thing that stopped me from leaving was the fact that Matt, the waiter was such a nice person and provided such a great service and the fact that the food was good!!! I was extremely dissapointed with the appartment and the standard of hygiene was very poor, i will not be returning to castle dargan again!!! Beware of suite 305 in the walled garden!!!!

2 Thank lisao3_11
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Lisao3_11,
Thank you for taking the time to review Castle Dargan Resort on Tripadvisor.

I am really happy to read your positive comments regarding our staff & food here at Castle Dargan, I will be passing on your comments to the relative staff.
At the same time I am so disappointed for the shortcomings you and your husband experienced with the items you highlighted regarding your stay, please accept my sincere apologies. Be assured that I have addressed this matter with the relevant personnel, as this is totally unacceptable and is no way the norm at Castle Dargan and I do hope you will return to the hotel in the future, as we would welcome an opportunity to restore your faith in us.
At this stage, I’d hope that you would contact me directly on kenneth@castledargan.com so I can have the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you.
Once again, Lisao3_11, thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay at the Castle Dargan Resort and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Sligo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We eat out in castle dargan on Friday evening where we tried the "Steak out" deal (check it out on their website for the deal)

I had the Surf N' Turf and my husband had the Fillet Steak, it was beautiful, some of the best steaks we've had anywhere we've eaten. They were cooked beautifully and were lovely and tender. (And the accompanying vino was equally as lovely)

We'll be going back on Friday's more often!!

1 Thank Pamhain
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Pamhain,
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your Friday night evening and our beautiful steaks. I thank you for your kind comments regarding our high standards and I will be passing on your remarks to all concerned. I look forward welcoming you back to Castle Dargan Resort in the future.

Co Roscommon
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently had our wedding at Castle Dargan and were delighted with the wonderful service we received.
We had special requirements in relation to the set up of the room prior to the day, after discussing this with the wedding co-ordinator Kim, we found her to be very co-operative, supportive and she helped to put us at ease with any concerns or worries that we would have had in the run up to our big day. If we had any queries or questions, she always replied to our calls or emails quickly and efficiently.

On the day itself, the food was delicious and although we were slightly worried that they wouldn't be able replicate the menu tasting to such a large number of guests, we found that everybody was commenting on how excellent the food was.

We found all of the staff to be helpful and pleasant, we would especially like to mention the duty manager Eimear, who on the day continually asked us if there was anything she could do for us.

Overall we were delighted with how our wedding day ran and would have no hesitation in recommending Castle Dargan as a wedding venue and we could not find fault with anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clare H
Dear Clare H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Castle Dargan Resort and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your special day with us and all our staff. I will be sharing your kind comments with all staff involved. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Dublin
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed with my girlfriend last year and used a groupon voucher to pay for one night and I paid for the second night seperately. Unfortunately Castle Dargan were clever in their wording and marketing of this deal to make it sound like a really good offer and a rel money saver but really it would have been cheaper to book the room and spa treatment on its own without the voucher. As a result this really pissed me off as the treatment was only for one person. If I'd have known this I would have booked a proper spa treatment for both of us instead of not having enough money to do so when I got there. Shame because the hotel is lovely, the staff are friendly and it's a good relaxing treat but because of this experience I've recommended a couple of people to stay away from the place.

Room Tip: Good place to stay although watch out for their cheeky 'special offers', there's nothing...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RobbieF909
Dear Jamie Co,

Thank you for your review following on from your stay at Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted that you found the Hotel to be a relaxing place to stay and I will pass your kind comments onto our staff.
In relation to the Groupon deal, as of October 2011 all customers have been able to choose, both Spa treatments in the Icon Spa or both golf on our Darren Clarke designed golf course and if customers would like to split 1 treatment & 1 golf that is totally up to them. I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and frustration you and your girlfriend were caused and hope you will take this opportunity to revisit us, I will be more than happy to personally look after your booking. (kenneth@castledargan.com)
Kenneth Appleby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
Sligo Park Hotel
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!