We arrived at this hotel on Sunday 21st October, which was a lovely sunny autumn day, and Sligo was looking absolutely beautiful. The approach to the hotel was very pleasant, and we went straight to reception to check in. We were on a 'Grab One' deal, and when we presented our voucher to the receptionist on duty, we were curtly and dismissively told that what we had handed in was not in fact the correct documentation. To say she was less than pleasant would be an understatement! I told her that I had my laptop with me and I could find the voucher and forward it to her, (which I did within ten minutes of arriving at our room). She accepted this and we were assigned our room - a room in Castle Dargan House, for which we paid a supplement - and we were given vouchers for a treatment each in the spa, which were part of the deal we had bought.
We walked over to Castle Dargan House, which is separate to the main hotel, and found our way to the 'Sally Gardens' suite, which we found to be very pleasant. We left in our bags and then went over to the main hotel and had a drink in the bar. The bar staff were more than pleasant - very encouraging after our experience with the receptionist. Bearing this in mind, we looked at the bar menu and later on that evening, that's where we had dinner. Dinner was really good and great value. Again, very pleasant staff for whom nothing was too much trouble.
We had a very comfortable night in the Sally Gardens suite. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the pillows were just perfect. Everything was very clean and well presented and the view from the bay window was beautiful. The bathroom was huge and had an old style roll top bath tub and a large shower.
Breakfast the following morning was buffet style - nothing out of the ordinary, but good and plenty of everything.
We checked out on Monday feeling very refreshed after our night away. We didn't go to the spa for our treatment, deciding to head out to Strandhill instead for a walk in the sun. All in all it was a very pleasant stay in Castle Dargan and I can honestly say it's somewhere we would return to - but I would request to stay in the old house rather than in the main hotel.
As for the receptionist who was rather rude on check in.......by the time we were leaving we were getting beaming smiles from her!!! Happy Days :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Dargan Hotel offers unsurpassed accommodation facilities ranging from stunning en-suite guest rooms and Wall Garden Suites to the magnificent Castle Dargan House Premier Suites all of which present an old world charm with modern day comforts. Our signature beds; The Vogue & Elegance mattresses with feather down duvets & pillows are featured in every bedroom, ensuring a peaceful night's slumber. We also include: direct-dial phones, complementary broadband access, digital TV, tea/coffee making facilities, smoking & non smoking wings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Castle Dargan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Dargan Golf Hotel And Wellness Centre
- Castle Dargan Hotel Wellness Centre
- Castle Dargan Ballygawley