“Nice but wouldnt go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice but wouldnt go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Loved the food both in bar and restaurant. Very friendly staff. Excellent spa but first night, we had to move rooms because we could hear everything that was going on in the room next door. There were no rooms available in the hotel so we were moved to the walled garden suites. I felt it was just a basic apartment instead of the 4 star luxury i had hoped for. There was no tv in the room so you had to sit on the uncomfortable sofas in order to watch tv. The shower head wasnt great in the bathroom either. But most importantly, there is no pool in the hotel. If we wanted to use the hydrospa we had to pay an extra 20 euro. In most hotels the facilities are available to all paying guests. Plus the hydrospa was definitely not worth the money being asked.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

My boyfriend had treated me to a 2 night stay at Castle Dargon for my birthday which we both thoroughly enjoyed. The scenery on the way was breaktaking, as were the grounds of the hotel. We stayed in the Clock Tower Suite which was beautifully furnished and spacious, a massive bathroom with separate toilet. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night, and even though we arrived quite late, the staff were very pleasant. The food was amazing, both eating far too much as it was delicious! We enjoyed it so much that we ate there again on out second night.
We made use of the beautiful spa on our second evening and I had a lovely dry floatation treatment, very relaxing! The staff again were very pleasant.
Overall we both had a great stay at Castle Dargon and hope to return again some day.

• Stayed August 2011
FBreslin, Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear Lovehols1,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to Castle Dargan Estate. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took the time out to post this on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back with us the next time you are in Sligo.

ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed there for two nights on a package deal. Setting is beautiful. Our walled garden suite was very large, with living room/kitchen area, bathroom and large bedroom. It was very clean. The golf course was beautiful, and nice way to spend morning, even for me who doesn't play and drove the buggy- lovely setting. The spa was lovely and relaxing, even though was a while waiting for appointment, was worth the wait, and the spa staff were very accomodating in organising and changing appointment time.

The major fault for us, was that of the food/drink service. Although the majority of bar staff were helpful, one member of the bar staff was not. The first night, he had asked us to wait for a minute while he fluffied around with cups and saucers, but the second night he completely ignored us as we stood at the bar, serving two others who came to the bar after us, and not until I called him, he came over to us, even though we were smack in the middle at the counter, where we could not be missed. Althought the food was beautiful, at lunch, I did not get what I ordered, and at the included dinner, which had a special menu, we were waiting at least 45 minutes between courses. The waitresses continually apologised for the delay, they were lovley and helpful, but the wait for food was crazy! Breakfast was a fab buffet, but you nearly had to fight to get a seat...instead of having one person seating people, one person would tell a group to wait outside and they would call them when a table was cleared, while another group walk straight up to the door and be seated by another memebr of staff, it was extremely irritating for those waiting. Although there seemed to be a mangaer working at breakfast time, it was very unorganised and chaotic, and could do with better organisation.

Overall I would reccommend the hotel for a relaxing stay, but expect a long wait for drink/food service!

Dear umlf ,

Firstly let me say thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor,I was disappointed to hear of the quality of service you received. Please rest assured that all your comments were passed to the responsible department heads and they will investigate further
We look forward to welcoming you back with us the next time you are in Sligo.

Kilkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

My wife an I and three friends stayed at this hotel for a mid week break. The hotel is situated 14 kms from sligo town near the village of ballygawley. All the staff were very friendly . Our bedroom was situated on the first floor. There was a door between our room and the next bedroom. I could here every word that was said by the guests in this room and the they were not speaking loudly. My wife and I could not hold a conversation as we knew the guests in the other room could hear us. The shower in our bathroom was located over the bath and it was not a pumped shower and the flow of water from the shower was weak. Our friends room had a disabled bathroom and they found it difficult to use as the sinks etc are designed for the use of a disabled person. The room should not have been allocated to them. The hand drier in the gents toilet near the lobby was not working and there were no towels in the bathroom to dry ones hands. The food in the bar was adequate but the bar area was very cold and was uncomfartable to eat there. We had a dinner in the restaurant on one night only. We booked the meal for 6.30pm. We were seated at approx 6.35pm, we were served the starter at 7.30pm. There was a long delay between each course and we eventually finished our meal at 9.15pm. I had sea bass which was overcooked and burnt. The chef mixed green peas with the potatoes and put it through a blender and it was disgusting to eat. The vegetables were all overcooked and the turnip was like a puree. None of the people at our table could eat the potatoes or veg. Two of my friends had steak and they thought it was excellent. Overall the standard of the meal was poor. The breakfast on the other hand was excellent. Surely a four star hotel should have high standards and these standards are achieved by attention to detail. I could not recommend this hotel to a friend

Dear Michael Q,

Thank you for taking your time and writing about your recent stay at Castle Dargan Estate.
Please rest assured that all your comments were passed to the responsible department heads and they will investigate further .We are treating each issue seriously and are doing our utmost to fix the issues that you have brought to our attention.
I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Castle Dargan Estate in the near future.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The drive way up to the Hotel was very impressive and this good impression was maintained inside the Hotel. The walled garden suite, where we stayed, was large, beautifully decorated and very clean. The bed wasextremely comfortable and nice and warm . The hotel itself was clean and very tastefully decorated. The food was delicious and, if not careful, could lead to extra inches in the hip department!!
My friend and I had a thoroughly relaxing experience in the Spa whilst our husbands played golf. They are both single figure golfers and thought the golf course was a fair but challenging. The staff were pleasant and helpful ~ Richard in the pro's shop especially so!
Brid, the owner, was particularly attentive in a relaxed and friendly manner. Be warned she wears the most eye catching earrings ever seen! All in all I would have no hesitation in recommending this family run Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
CDargan, Public Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Susan M,

Thank you for your kind words on the layout of our hotel and courtyard. Much thought was put into the design. Cleanliness, room temperature, aesthetics are all very important issues to us and, of course, top quality food is paramount here at Caste Dargan.

I am delighted that to hear that you, your husband and your friends all enjoyed what we have to offer and I will pass on your compliments to Richard and Brid.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Warm regards,

Philip Corrigan
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Owner meeting and greeting, made everyone feel very welcome. We had an apartment as opposed to a room in the hotel, no complaints, decor and finishing touches very good. We have stayed in many hotels in many countries and I have to say for a short break the atmosphere, food and facilities here certainly 4*. The golf course was long!! certainly a challenge but very enjoyable.. electric trolley essential!!
Sunday Carvery.. good choice, evening meals.. varied menu, very well presented and generous portions. Bar, Restaurant and Spa staff very friendly and efficient.
Would certainly recommend this to friends.. and we will certainly return:0)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Issi_7
Dear Issi_7

Thank you for noticing and the kind words on the interior design of our apartments and the atmosphere at our hotel. The golf course is certainly challenging but as you said, and I agree, it makes it all the more enjoyable. I hope it did not tire you out too much!

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the food and that the service of our staff was to your satisfaction. We look forward to your return.

Kind Regards,

Philip Corrigan
Athlone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

If you are after a relaxing few days away mixed in with some fine (and very playable) golf and an excellent spa, this is the place.
It is a remote setting but only 15min from Sligo which isnt bad.
I usually like to stay in a city where the car can be parked and you can have a few pints with no worries so this was a little different.
However, the bar was excellent, the food was class and the service was brilliant with all the staff very cheerful and helpful so there was no need to go elsewhere in the evening.
Some of the reviews talk about this being a little sterile but I didnt see that.
Rooms were very spacious and we had a little toddler who was accomodated for without any fuss.
The golf course is a very nice, well presented course with very fast greens and an excellent closing two holes.
The only thing it may lack is the facility for a nice walking track around the course ala The Heritage but apart from that I would consider Castle Dargan as an affordable, friendly, relaxed place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Glasson1
CDargan, Public Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We are extremely pleased that enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your compliments to the bar staff, the chef and the green keepers.

I hope your young child also enjoyed Castle Dargan and that you ended with a good score on our golf course!

We will take your comment on the walk track into consideration because as always, we dearly value your opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to review Castle Dargan.

Warm Regards,

Philip Corrigan,

Public Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
Sligo Park Hotel
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!