“Lovely Bar Staff but hotel lacking atmosphere”
Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Dublin
“Lovely Bar Staff but hotel lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Just spent a night with the girls in the Castledargan Hotel, we had spa treatments shortly after we checked in at reception, i had read previous reports on this hotel and decided to spend a girly night away to catch up with friends, the welcome at recption was nothing out of the ordinary, the gentleman who checked us in was not very welcoming, gave us the basic information and sent us to our walled garden suite, which was a bit disappointing as this is outside of the main building and at the end of the carpark ( like apartments really)
On the upside we spent some time in the spa where we received a much warmer welcome and received top class treatments, Sophia was lovely and looked after us during out time there, dined in the restaurant where the food we found was a little overpriced, and after wards made our way to the bar, Linda behind the bar was most friendly, made us some lovely drinks and chatted very friendly with us throughout the night, the hotel was quiet for a saturday night, but we enjoyed our stay with the treatments and the nice bar staff,

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear CityTravel10_11

On behalf of Castle Dargan Estate I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is only through customer feedback such as yours, that we can continue to monitor, maintain and improve our standards.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights towards the end of May and have mixed emotions towards my stay. A professional welcome and simple directions led me to my ground floor, double room. Whilst the room was spacious and modern the bed had a bizarre surround to it. It almost looked like a bed that would fold into the wall. The bizarre surround prevents being able to reach the light switches, electric plugs or bedside tables. Very odd, and highly irritating. Furthermore, there are literally 5-6 fuse/electric points turned on around the Walls, my first instinct was to turn these off - why waste power? And yet they seemed to have very little effect as all the plugs and lights still worked. What were all those switches for?! My final room greviance was a constant hum/buzz from the key card holder that allows the electric to be used. These few niggles and poor finihes unfortunately turn this easily 5 star room into a poorly designed 4.

Moving to the bar, the food at the bar was amazing in every aspect (from the food and the view to the staff and the decor), the drinks were overpriced and often over-iced. €7.50 for a mixer and €4.50 for a pint. There's isn't much entertainment at this hotel and I'm sure at a lower price there'd be a good return on their drinks sales.

Check out was a slight nuisance being that we paid cash but there was no record of this on their system, leading to them phoning the person who checked us in. We didn't think to ask for a receipt at the time of arrival.

So there we have it. Tidy up around the edges and it's a great find in a remote part of West Ireland. Be it a peaceful weekend, a spa, some golf, a business occassion or just to take advantage of a great chef. 30mins from Knock airport, 10mins from town and 1 minute from the golf or spa. Would I return? Yes.... There's isn't much competition nearby!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Cdjl

Thank you for taking your time and writing about your recent stay at Castle Dargan Estate. Once again I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused during your checkout , and I hope this does not deter you from returning to Castle Dargan in the near future.Thank you for your kind words regarding the food & service our team provided you. I will be sure to pass it on to them and it is greatly appreciated.I will follow up the issue of over icing drinks with the Food and Beverage Team to prevent this happening in the future, our mixers are all priced at €2.10 and not €7.50 so I would nt agree that our beverages are over priced as mentioned in your review.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback

Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I have just returned from castle dargan. 6 of us booked a golfing package to include a round of golf, dinner, bed and breakfast, from initial contact with yvonne in reception and xavier the Golfing pro, linda in the bar ,to check out on Sunday afternoon I found the staff this hotel to be accomodating, excellent food, dinner sat night was sublime,rooms were great with all the little extras supplied to make our stay a delight, as for the golf now that's another story, the course is in pristine condition it's just my technique that's under scrutiny!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Karenskeffington

Thank you very much for the nice feedback regarding your recent stay at Castle Dargan Estate.
We appreciate your very positive feedback about our staff and I have shared your comments with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Dargan in the near future

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Just back from my second visit to Castle Dargan. We had previously had an enjoyable stay in the hotel in a number of years ago but found our most recent stay to very disappointing. We booked on-line at a very reasonable price, however when we checked in at 3.00pm we were informed that we would be staying in the hotel's junior suite (really an apartment annex) and not the delux king-size room we had booked. The apartment was in need of painting, noisy, had a shower-room that smelt of damp, had a small bedroom and had not been cleaned -the kitchen floor had coffee stains, the sofa and floor were dirty, the fridge had the remains of the last occupant's milk in it, there were hairs on the duvet and the sheet had the remnants of an old bloodstain on it - just where you were expected to lay your head. When we complained that the room was dirty and not what we had booked we were informed by the receptionist that the room would be cleaned but we would not be moved as there was no availability for the length of our stay. We found breakfast to be very average with a limited selection and that the dinner menu to be very restricted with no more than three choices of main course. When we checked out we were informed by a different receptionist that we could have been moved as there were rooms available. This only compounded our disappointment! There are much better hotels that provide a proper service to their paying customers.

Room Tip: Check in early. Don't take the junior suites.
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hendersc
Dear Hendersc

Thank you for taking your time and writing about your recent stay at Castle Dargan Estate. I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your recent visit with us. I have passed on your comments to our Accommodation Manager and she has assured me that she will investigate further as her team pride themselves in the attention to detail and service levels that are provided within her department and throughout the hotel. We encourage guests to contact management during their stay if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.
We appreciate your feedback as we do with all our guests’ feedback to ensure that we correct any breakdowns in our service.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future

ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Got a lovely cheap rate of €75pps for 2 nights. Brilliant!
The hotel is deep in the countryside and my one criticism is that there isn't much to do. If you don't like golf...um...
It's quite near to Sligo Town but there really isn't much to do there either.
Was lucky enough to stay in a building opposite the main hotel, Castle Dargan House. The rooms were decorated in old fashioned style and the windows had their original heavy wooden shutters. You could have heard a pin drop it was that quiet. Perfect. Though i've heard that the rooms in the hotel are a lot noisier.
Breakfast choice was extensive and delicous.
Plenty of eating choices in the bar and restaurants, I really can't fault the place. If you want peace and quiet and to get away from it all, come visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Cartagia

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to Castle Dargan Estate. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took the time out to post this on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back with us the next time you are in Sligo.

N Ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Castle Dargan is an amazing hotel, it is approx 10 min drive outside of Sligo set in a lovely picturesque area. There is a golf course on site, I personally don’t play golf but it would make me want to take it up, as it is such a beautiful course.
Check in was simple and we were allocated to one of the Walled Garden Suites just located outside the hotel, the suite was beautiful, so spacious and very clean. We ate in the bar that evening, the meal was beautiful and the service was fantastic, the bar is overlooking the golf course. On the second night we had a meal in the restaurant, it also overlooks the golf course and we were very lucky to get a window table. The meal was exceptional and the staff was very attentive and pleasant at all times even though it was very busy.
Breakfast each morning was delicious and again the staff couldn’t do enough for you.
I will definitely be back again and I have already been recommending it to friends and family since I got home.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
FBreslin, Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear GbeeNIreland,

Thank you very much for the nice feedback regarding your stay at Castle Dargan Estate I was very pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay . I have taken the liberty of passing your compliments on to them, adding my own thanks

Dublin
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We have been to the spa in this hotel on a number of occasions but we after the last visit, we will not be returning. I booked a treatment and was advised I could use the 'spa' for a hour before the treatment - on the website, there is a charge of €20 to use the facility. Previously, there had been an O2 Bar, tea making facilities, fruit and magazines available which made the whole experience really nice. This time, there was absolutely nothing to do except lie on a chair and look at the golf course! Nothing to drink except water and the only magazines, which every spa I have ever been to has as a staple, were about bike trails, just what a woman wants to read!
I appreciate cutbacks have to be made but cut back on the prices you charge as well rather than shortchanging customers - I am not impressed and while my actual treatment was good, if not the full hour I paid for - you have lost customers, we will not be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank DublinCb123
FBreslin, Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear DublinCb123,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our Icon Spa. I have passed on your comments to our Spa Manager and together we will work towards making all future guests visits more enjoyable based on your comments & suggestions above
I would be delighted to welcome you back in the future

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!