“Amazing venue”
Review of Auchen Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beattock
Auchen Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beattock
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I got married here on 5 May. It was so much more than we ever hoped, the staff were fantastic, the food perfect, and as for the venue, I don't know where to start. Spectacular. Scenery and grounds were the perfect setting. We wouldn't have changed a thing. The website really doesn't do it justice!

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Daughters wedding here 4 and 5th May 2012. The owner Glen organised an excellent day laying on piper, car, photographer, disco and a Reverend, who conducted a genuine and sincere marriage ceremony which some found very moving. The accomodation was very good with a good Scottish breakfast and first class five course meal. The staff at the hotel were so helpful and obliging particularly the night porter who couldn't do enough to assist all our guests. The venue made for some really good photography and the weather obliged staying sunny all afternoon.
Thank you Glen and all your staff for making a very a special day for my daughter and her new husband.

Room Tip: We were in an annexe room which was very clean and quiet. Room 41 had a huge bed in it and a single...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MKLWarrington
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I got married at Auchen on the 10th of April 2012. I would like to say a great big thank you to all the staff and the management for making the day truely memorable.

All our friends and family were very impressed with everything about the venue, from the bedrooms, the food and not least the fabulous views.

It truely is a lovely place and I could not recommend the place more.....

Thanks

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paul r
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I booked this hotel for an event in sep 2011, just before the hotel went into receivership in 2010. I was unaware at the time that i had been double booked with a wedding. I had to find this out myself many months later. The management gave me the run around for the next 2 months without confirming things. Basically after 8 months, the new manager told me that they could not honour my booking. They wasted a lot of time that i could have been using looking for alternative venues. Very, very disappointed with the managers - the local staff were unable to give me straight answers to my questions and the overall manager didn't contact me. I finally got my deposit back, without any compensation. I can't comment on what the hotel is like. It certainly had a nice atmosphere in a beautiful location, but seriously let down by the organisation. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank smw148
MarkAlisterLynn, Owner at Auchen Castle, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

We have never spoken to this reviewer, that's very sad to read, but they were dealing with the administration company Convivial management who ran the castle before we purchased it. We've had no contact with this reviewer, and none of the administration company's staff or management have had anything to do with the castle since we took over. Very sad to read, but the castle is run VERY differently today

Reviewed February 13, 2012

We just stayed here for 2 nights in Feb for a family wedding, the location is great perfect for a wedding, the staff could not do more for us, especialy glen who went out of his way to make us feel welcome.
We had the hotel booked for just the wedding guests so we had the run of the hotel, the food was great, a relaxed meal put on for us on the friday night so we could enjoy food and drinks with family and friends in the bar, sandwiches on the day of the wedding to tide us all over till our wedding meal.
No complaints at all and a big thank you to Jim who sorted my fuzzy head out with a cup of tea even though he was trying to get breakfast organised.
Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone having a wedding or function.

Room Tip: only scored low on childrens activities and swimming pool as it was not this type of break, although...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cookie34
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and our friends got married here. The staff here and the location are both truly amazing, they could not do enough for us and made us so welcome. Good service is very hard to find now days but here it came in abundance, nothing was too much trouble.
The food was perfect, and I am very fussy.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this place as a venue for a wedding or just as a place to stay.
Thank you to all the staff for making our stay here so special, we will never forget what a great time we had.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Mcoup
Reviewed November 24, 2011

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEWHERE AMAZING TO GET MARRIED I WOULD STRONGLY RECCOMEND DOING IT HERE, PERFECT VENUE, AMAZING STAFF, GREAT FOOD AND STUNNING ROOMS...
I got married here on 21.11.11 and only arranged the wedding some 17 days before. We drove up from Northampton and visited all the other Gretna wedding venues but nothing came close to this amazing castle. As soon as we were met and showed around the castle by Alistar on our first visit myself and my fiance (who is very hard to please!!) were won over and we both knew this was the place for us. On the build up to our big day Glen was fantastic with his help planning our wedding and nothing was to much trouble for him (like i said my now wife is hard to please!!). We arrived at the castle at 9pm on a sunday night to be met by Glen and John, we were immediatly made to feel welcome and at home, again nothing was to much trouble (John even made us late night bacon sandwiches), the rooms our party had were perfect and we wouldnt have changed a thing. Our big day was planned and organised to perfection and again we couldnt have done it without Glen, we were all made to feel so special. Our Food was amazing, the wedding pictures were perfect as you would imagine at such a beautiful venue and all the staff were fantasic, Glen even went out to the shop at night to get one of our party some medicine as he had been unwell a few days prior to our visit, this showed us a real care for customer service and like i said nothing was too much trouble. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEWHERE AMAZING TO GET MARRIED I WOULD STRONGLY RECCOMEND DOING IT HERE, PERFECT VENUE, AMAZING STAFF, GREAT FOOD AND STUNNING ROOMS. Thanks again Glen, Alistair and all the staff for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: We looked at almost every room and they were all as amazing as each other, but the four poster rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank David C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beattock
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Best Western Moffat House Hotel
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
#1 of 4 in Moffat
Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel and Garden Spa
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Auchen Castle? Share your experiences!