“Cosmopolitan clientele.”
Review of Hotel Sempati

Hotel Sempati
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lapta
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I did do a wee bit of research before I plumped for this hotel, as I haven't visited TRNC before.

Overall, I have to say I was very pleased.

We booked one of the poolside bungalows, which was reasonably well appointed, the bed in particular was surprisingly comforable. The room was a good size and boasted a fridge and TV both of which worked fine, both of which were now getting a wee bit old and tired.

The bathroom was itself fine, but once again a wee bit tired, although the bathroom and the bedroom were very clean and well attended, even if it was with frayed and worn towels.

The hotel bar and reception areas were clean reasonably well appointed but... a wee bit tired, see a bit of a theme here?

Ordinarily things like this are a bit of a disappointment to us, however, considering the price we paid (£1,000, for two weeks - half board - including transfers, via Cyprus Paradise Holidays), it all came across as very good value for money.

The hotel itself is about a five minute drive from the "Lapta Strip" which for us was a huge bonus, can't really be bothered with loud lairy British teenagers peddling thier own brand of Britishness. (That being said we didn't see too much of this anyway ~ They must have been in eebeefah).

The hotel boasts a private beach which is absolutely lovely, except for the fact that all of the beach furniture is very scant and what there is has been broken in one way or another.

The staff were all very good, up to a point. During normal day to day running they could not be faulted, but should there be something outwith the 'normal' box, then the guests were very definately neglected.

One night the owner swaggered in with a huge swath of guests and they were all very well attended, as for us, well, we had to wait 20 minutes to order dinner and when it eventually arrived, it was wrong. On another occasion there was a 'singing competition' (which actually turned into an ex-pats karaoke competition) and once again, the paying guests were a poor second place.

When we unpacked on the first day we left the duty free on the side in the room, fortunately we were in when the staff member came by to top up the fridge, he explained that because it was not bought at the hotel bar it was not permitted, this, I must admit did annoy me rather a lot, as it is nothing to do with hygiene or whatever flimsy excuse he tried to convey, it was purely to maximise hotel profits. Had we not been there I am sure he would have confiscated it.

SO BE WARNED do not take "contraband" into your room, or if you do then be discreet about it. I really did not like this aspect as I then felt guilty everytime I took a bottle of water or coke into the room that I had bought outside and had to sneak it in.

This may come across as if I am slating the place, this is not the case, I am simply expressing my opinion, based on my experience.

In the reception there are lots of posters giving information about the various tours, some of which looked superb, but we had hired a car for the duration, so we only went on one, The Cyprus Night, which was, well... Dire. We were picked up by coach and by the time he had picked everyone up we arrived at the venue 90 minutes later even though it was only about 8 miles away.. The venue itself was great, even though it was lacking in atmosphere, the food was great but to be honest we had food as good (sometimes even better) for significantly less money elsewhere. We were also surprised to be presented with a drinks bill at the end of the night - even though we had been lead to believe that this was included in the ticket price. The entertainment was dreadful. One chap with his Bontempi, who was then joined by an "I love me" karaoke queen.

In summary, the staff were great (mostly) the accommodation and facilities were reasonable but overall, it was good value for money and yes, I would go back. One of the best features for me was that this hotel draws in a wide range of different nationalities, this made it all the more interesting an experience.

2  Thank BikerBuster

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Nice and friendly hotel staff. Nicely run family business. Small rocky and sand beach not far from the hotel. Sometimes regarded with poor quality service I have only best words to describe my first N.Cyprus vacation experience in the country of non-resort and unconventional tourism with lot to offer in the future. Will come back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tsonik
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent a week at hotel sempati staff was friendly and room was clean, we been so many times to south and this was our first trip to north side, still unspoilt and not like south part, people are friendly
We took some trips from our tour company, it was good but bit hot weather, sempati is good 3 star hotel, not expected luxury

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Stephenread
Reviewed August 1, 2013

my girl friend and i booked this hotel from internet, it is good cypriot hotel, was busy, as summer period, internation people from poland, england holland, it was good mixture, we stayed 2 nights one of the poolside bungalows, had chance to dive with drew, perfect dive, must thanks from here. the hotel is good 3 star family hotel, room was good and clean, breakfast as cypri

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this holiday through a KGB deal. I would definitely not pay full price! We arrived late after a long flight and was greeted and checked in quickly and efficiently. We enquired about eating as we were starving and were shown to the dining hall where they had saved food for the people from our flight.
We had a poolside bungalow which we were very happy with. Basic but clean. We did have dirty plates sitting outside our room for two days from the previous occupants.
The prices in the hotel are reasonable which is just as well since they will confiscate any food or drink not purchased in the hotel. This did not stop us from buying at the local shop, which was very cheap, and hiding it in our suitcase!
The information needed about the hotel re meal times, local attractions, nearby restaurants should be placed in the room. We only found out from other guests.
The biggest let down was the food. We were on half board but would recommend anyone staying there to only have B&B. We were served tinned peas, carrots or brussells with rice and chips every single night alongside the main course of which there were two choices, one of them always chicken. The mezzes were the same each night and not particularly good. The local Olive Press Bowls club food is delicious. The best we had eaten during our stay.
The hotel is about 10 miles from Kyrenia! It takes around 40 minutes on the dolmus and costs 3.50tl. Or travel into Lapta which is a 15 minute ride for more bars & restaurants. If you ask reception they will telephone for one to collect you from outside the hotel. The hotel has a good Padi Dive center that offer a free try dive, The guys that run it are really friendly and helpful.
I wouldn’t stay at Hotel Sempati again.

1  Thank cookiegirl45
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My partner and I booked this holiday at a travel show and the paperwork referred to it as being in Kyrenia, obviously it is miles from Kyrenia!

Holiday got off to a bad start as we were not collected at the airport, eventually we got a taxi ourselves and it took almost the whole week to reclaim the taxi fare. Everyone said it was someone else dealing with it. Majority of the staff are unsmiling, not what you expect on holiday.

We only ever had breakfast there which I did not enjoy sharing with the flies and stray cats.

Private beach was a joke, few broken loungers and not attractive. Having said all that we had a good time, hired a car and saw a lot of the attractions and enjoyed good meals out at nearby restaurants which we only found out about via other guests. Some information about local eateries/local attractions placed in the room would be very useful! Our room was in the new building and was OK.

Not an experience I will repeat!

Room Tip: We thought our room in the new area was OK, cant speak for rest of the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First of all let me say that I enjoyed my stay. Mainly because i simply enjoyed my company. Now about the Hotel.

I arrived late after a long flight and was greeted and checked in by who I considered a very hard working staff member. After check in we were walked to our room and there it began...the "wth" look. The bed was so low down and you could feel every spring in the mattress. And of course it was not the room reserved. But the staff was very willing to change our rooms the next day. After unpacking I decided to keep the same room.

The next morning we tried sleeping late but since breakfast was only to 10am we barely made it down on time. Yes barely because while eating we noticed that even the water supply was cut off. I thought it was a bit rude. A simple courtesy of asking if we needed anything else before they clear the area would've been nice. After breakfast we opted to play a little game of pool but it was comical to see all the dead insects on the table and i bet they were there for a very longtime.

Even though i enjoyed my stay mainly due to the friendly staff i do understand the negative reviews. We ordered room service and the used plates sat outside our room for 2 days and were still there when we checked out. The same goes for other rooms on the floor. They seem to concentrate on charging for every little thing and neglect other little simple things. For example, im not an advocate of cats or other stray dogs rolling up on you while eating in the dining room or pool bar. I was very turned off from that. I think the staff should be advised to keep them out. Guests are told no pets allowed yet stray animals are allowed to wonder in.

The amenities in the room need a serious upgrading. The TV did not work, there was no washcloth to shower with, no type of body lotion at all. These are just basic things that should be provided in bathrooms. Also a handle bar in the shower will help. The tub is deep and needed something to grasp as i was stepping in and out.

I will not mention about the food because i wasn't a big fan of it at all. The bar made up for it and kudos to the staff, they really were very nice. What the hotel really needs is some daytime entertainment. It is extremely boring during the day. Nothing to motivate you to return.

1  Thank PANSALSA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapta
Manolya Hotel
#1 of 1 in Karsiyaka
Mountain View Hotel & Villas
Mountain View Hotel & Villas
#1 of 3 in Agios Georgios

Been to Hotel Sempati? Share your experiences!