“Holiday of lifetime!”
Review of Il Fabbro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Filecchio
Il Fabbro
Ranked #1 of 1 Filecchio B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2010

It's most lovely place i has ever went to. I have been trave around the world, but this one, the most beatiful place i ever been to. Once i went there, to ski. It's near to ski place. after it, Geran ever gave me some hot cholate, with some of cake. You can't find more better homemake rools, jam, lots other food than her one! First day at my stay, at once, i feel like i have been life there all my life! So I come back in summer, oh, it seem ever time i stay, It's ever more better! They treat me like i'm part of their family, warm with me! Ever more than my family do if you ask me! So peaceful, nothing'll ruin your holiday there!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Il Fabbro

Reviewed September 7, 2009

I can easily agree with all the many good things that have already been written in previous reviews. Il Fabbro is a lovely place. I'll remember my first look out of one of the living room windows after waking up on the first morning after we arrived. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. In addition, hosts Vince and Geran are a lovely couple and were warm, attentive, and helpful during our stay at Il Fabbro. Traveling with my sister and twelve year-old niece, we made day trips first to the nearby monastery in Calomini and the Cave of the Wind, or Grotto del Vento. In the evening there was time to venture into Barga for dinner. The next day, we researched family roots in and around Bagni di Lucca, home of Europe's first casino. (By now, the small restored casino should have reopened, according to what we were told at the tourist information center there.) Taking a break from driving, we easily caught a train to Lucca to explore for a day. And finally, we took a road trip to Florence.
Each morning at breakfast before we ventured out, Geran offered driving directions and maps. It was Geran who also suggested we try the short trip to the monastery and the Cave of the Wind on our first day at Il Fabbro, when we were still a bit jetlagged. As it turned out, the monastery, built into a mountainside, was one of my favorite places that we visited on our trip.
Il Fabbro was exceptionally comfortable. We had plenty of privacy and peace. On a couple of occasions, we brought dinner back to the house with us to enjoy on the terrace as the sun was setting. Wine was available for a very reasonable extra fee from our innkeepers. We all slept well on comfortable beds, and my sister and niece even indulged in warm baths before bed.
My best memories of Il Fabbro itself would include the warmth of our hosts and the talks I had with them, one while Vince was making rolls for the next morning's breakfast. In addition, I was also impressed with how much Vince and Geran seemed to enjoy each other and life in general. They are happy people.
When it came time to leave I felt a twinge of sadness, just like when I was a little girl leaving my grandparents' house where we visited many summers. I'm sure back then I really did cry at least once because I didn't want to leave what felt like paradise, and 40 years or so later, I almost wanted to do the same.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank HeidiG11
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My husband Mark and I have made many trips to Italy and indeed Il Fabbro was our last destination on our holiday this August. We had started in Ischia and stopped in Umbria before arriving in Tuscany. We enjoyed all our holiday but our stay in Il Fabbro was the icing on the cake. The scenery in Tuscany is breath taking. Il Fabbro is situated high in the mountains over looking the vibrant town of Barga. Vince and Geran the owners of Il Fabbro are lovely warm people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome and ensure that you have a good holiday. Il Fabbro has been restored very tastefully by Vince who is a very talented man who has managed to keep the traditional feel to the place. The house has many interesting features and original artworks, many by this talented family. All the rooms were very clean and comfortable with ensuite bathrooms. Each room was individuaI, I liked the one with the sunshine yellow, walk in shower best. The large lounge was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. It even had a satilite TV not that we wasted time watching that. Breakfast of delicious home made bread, jams, preserved fruits and yoghurt was served outside. There were various tables situated around the terrace so you could choose to either enjoy the company of others or sit in a romantic corner for two over looking the magnificant view.
Geran and Vince are very much part of the community and introduced us to many of the local residence all of whom were most friendly and welcoming. They also recommended local places of interest that you would not necessarily find from touriste information.
it is a great location to visit Pisa, Florence and Lucca which is a interesting walled city. Although you are staying up in the mountains, which is wonderfully peaceful, the nearset town Barga is full of life. We arrived during the Jazz Festival. It was amazing, as you turned each corner there was another band playing and all for free!! There is even an Opera House, hopefully we will book next time we are there. The town also has a wide selection of restaurants catering for all needs and pockets. One excellent restaurant even had sushi and curry on the menu and it was delicious. I would thoroughly recommend Il Fabbro. This destination had every thing you could wish for, it was certainly a magical holiday and we can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We have you returned from 10 days at Il Fabbro bed and breakfast. We went with family, with my 5 years old daughter. Our hosts were two great, lovely english people, with good sense of humour. They have four rooms for guests, and it was awesome. An old italian style farmhouse, they regenerate it well. The breakfast was continental, good. They bake the rolls themselves, I think the jam and the preserved fruit was homemade, too. They had a paddling-pool, it was great to cool down there. The weather was great. It was on the hillside, with a beautiful view to surrounding villages and hills. It was a peaceful island where we got some rest after daily trips. We were perfectly pleased with the housing, they share their home with us. Thanks for everything Vince and Geran, we will be back by all means!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked IL Fabbro near Barga as an extra little stay tagged onto a trip to Tuscany this year. This great Bed & Breakfast is very close to Barga one of our favorite places in Italy. While Il Fabbro is close to Barga, it is set in wooded hills so not too close to the town and it's sometimes busy traffic.

We were very pleasantly suprised by this wonderful little Tuscan haven. A very old hillside property that has been sympathetically renovated in a traditional style by Vince and Geran the owners. They have taken great care to ensure that the place feels homely whilst their warm and welcoming hospitality, we felt, was second to none when compared to other places. We say this with experience of stays in many places around Tuscany.

The room we booked (by e-mail) was a double with a superb compact en-suite shower room. The room was entered directly from the patio area. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom and room were spotless. We were welcomed by Vince a very affable English man who showed us around the property which is beautifully restored. (Vince is very proud of his nine year labour of love, he even made all the windows and doors!) Vince & Geran are also a great resource for local information, Vince has lived in Italy for some ten years, so knows all the local do's and don't's and is always ready with a story or just friendy chat, a lovely couple.

There is a very comfortable lounge where anyone can relax with satalite TV, all the other expected bits and pieces including beautiful Lampes in Art Nouveau style and some lovely decor touches using some traditional features cleverly mixed with more eclectic designs. It feels luxurious without being uncomfortable. Vince and Geran make you feel that nothing is a problem, allowing you to feel free to use the lounge and other areas of this beautiful house. You can get yourself a drink from the refridgerated cabinet sit either inside or outside the house in comfort.

We were too tired to go out for dinner so bought some prosciutto and tomatoes at the local shop, for a little light dinner. Geran very kindly supplied us with cutlry, plates etc, we ate in the lovely kitchen / dinning area. Geran is so warm, her obviously genuine love of people shines through as she helps to make your stay a comfortable and memorable one.

Geran served our Breakfast on the patio outside our room, with a cafetiere of coffee for myself, enough coffee to keep me running for the day! Warm rolls fresh from the oven, home made preserves and plums with a subtle almond flavour from their stones, yogurt, crossant etc. All in all we just can't fault this lovely place run by the most genuinely warm and friendly hosts!

We will now return here when ever making our pilgrimage to Barga, the town where I (Phil) decided to ask my wife (Jeanette) to marry me, after a visit there some years ago. By the way the Duomo at the very top of Barga old town is very special. Not as dressy and ostentatious as some you will see around Tuscany but beautifully peacful in between the small groups of tourists, with a pulpit of marble collonades and a pair of lions, carved (I Think?) by the same artist that produced pieces in the Pisan Baptisary? Check that out for yourself but do stay with Vince and Geran for the perfect home from home! Visit the walled town of Barga and enjoy!

PS also a good base for travel around norther Tuscany, Lucca is still a jewel of an old walled city just down the valley from il Fabbro also not too far to visit pisa, Florence etc. Try a drive over the mountains around to Pietrasanta, Camaiore a great alternative route through marble sites! enetually taking you to Lucca where you can come back to Il Fabbro up the valley.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThePooksDurham_UK
Reviewed December 30, 2007

We stayed one night in this B&B on our way to an other village in Tuscany.
Warm welcome by the owners! Nice surroundings, very quiet.
From here you can easily make a trip to Lucca.
Good breakfast with products from the owner's garden on the terrace with very nice view on tjhe town of Barga .
Nice place for a quiet vacation in Tuscany.

Young couple from Holland.

• Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed November 4, 2006

In the wonderful area of North Tuscany Italy there is a fantastic B&B with views to die for. Set on a hillside overlooking the town of Barga, which is on another hill, is Il Fabbro an old Italian farmhouse which has been lovingly restored by an English couple Vince and Geren. Over a six year period they have brought the house back to its former glory. Inside is beautiful with all the bedrooms in the tuscan style with views towards the mountains. We spent a week here and toured the area of Pisa, Florence, Lucca and the north area to Carrera where all the marble is mined. At the end of each day we returned to Il Fabbro to the peaceful quietness of its situation. We had a fantastic time and sure we will go back. At Il Fabbro you arrive as quests and leave as friends. Check out their website [--]

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Stewart&Rosemary

Been to Il Fabbro? Share your experiences!