“A wonderful find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
Langford,, United Kingdom
“A wonderful find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I dont normally stay outside of Cambridge, but it was full and so I had to find a hotel close by at the last minute. An excellent find, Comfortable room with clean and modern facilities, wifi, a great restaurant.
Excellent value for money
I will be back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

An extremely poor meal on Saturday, although previous times we have eaten there it was good.
The cured bass was completely raw, and to make it worse when I complained I was told 'it is meant to be like that'!
Wine list was requested and came, but no-one took our wine order, so no wine to start with, but (this is Faulty Towers) when it did come, the bucket had a hole in it, so water leaked over our clothes.
Soon a waiter came by and asked in that fake way 'Is everything OK with your meal?', to which I responded 'on a scale of 1 to 10, you are on 1 at the moment'. He smiled and walked away, not to get the manager, but to ignore the comment.
When the lemon sole arrived it was completely overcooked, but by then we had written the evening off as 'A bad experience, not to be repeated.'
AVOID.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us again. I am glad you enjoyed the food on previous visits and the location and cleanliness this time, but sorry that the food and service this time was not up to your usual experience with us. It is frustrating when good visits get no reviews, but one less good visit not only gets a poor review but also an "AVOID", particularly when this is your only review on Tripadvisor - we can only assume that we did especially badly and I apologise for this.

I am sorry the cured sea bass off our Special Fish Board was not to your liking and that this was not managed well. We prepared eight portions of this Special and yours was the seventh sold that night. The others did in fact go down extremely well but this does not of course make the dish correct and I am glad that we replaced your starter with no charge and that you enjoyed the replacement. My manager that night was sorry that she offended you by her comments and we have discussed how she could have managed the situation better another time.

The team clearly have some lessons to learn from your other helpful comments - they have all been taken up with them and hopefully will not be repeated. I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion.

Luckily these sorts of incidences are rare and I trust that you will give us the benefit of the doubt and that we will be able to welcome you back for a more representative experience soon.

Thank you again for your help.
Kind regards
Alex
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our party of ten met at the Red Lion which included a high chair for a 14 month old baby on Sunday 25th August 2013.
When we arrived we were greeted by a lady manager and were shown to our table which was reserved and laid up complete with a high chair.
The manager came over to us an explained that they had a large wedding lunch and there would be a delay in food service and promptly asked us if we would like bowls of olives and nuts which appeared almost immediately.
Our food orders were taken and in about twenty minutes the main courses arrived four people had roast sirloin of beef and the others bar for one had roast pork,one of our party asked and got rare beef,two medium and one well done the meats were just perfect and very tender with a good selection of hot vegetables we all cleared our plates ,the food was that tasty.
Most of us had desserts which were just delicious and l must add,there were lots of staff who were all very good and finally the manager came over to the table to apologise for the delay and did we enjoy our meals.
The pub/hotel/restaurant deserves the five star rating as it was so good even the toilets were spotless and fresh smelling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just spent a great weekend at the Red Lion and would definitely recommend it. It lies in a quiet village (check out the village library) close to cambridge and the Duxford Imperial war museum which is well worth a visit. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable and are situated in a separate complex within the pub's garden.The food in the restaurant was excellent and the waiting and bar staff were brilliant, real service with a smile. There was a good range of beers and wines and it was really relaxing just sitting in the pub's garden in the sunshine just before dinner. I look forward to a repeat visit if I am in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Towcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

my sister and niece treated myself and my beloved to lunch, having already arranged for me to have a Tiger Moth flight at Duxford that morning.

a nice looking pub in a nice looking village, it was hard to fault. I had fresh calamari, dusted with a light curry batter -delicious - followed with a very competent burger. no puds, too full. perhaps my macciato was a bit thin, so would know next time to ask for it a bit stronger. my beloved loved her fish and no complaints from my sister and niece about their burgers. or indeed the total price, I think less than £20 ahead with drinks and a tip.

ok, so we had not very ambitious choices, but it was all very nicely presented, with charming, willing service. liked the decor, a lot of genuine treewood beams and good loos, so, all in all, a hot pick if you are around those parts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Red Lion is in a sleepy, des-res village in Cambridgeshire. I went there for lunch and thought it one of the best pub lunches I've ever had. I ordered from the specials menu and had smoked haddock on a bed of leeks and purée potato served with a mouth-watering mustard sauce. The portion was very generous. My friend (who's vegetarian) had a wide selection of choices and had a tasty pasta dish. Even better was to come: dessert! I thoroughly recommend the chef's tasting platter - which comes with three puddings from the menu and is the ideal size to share. The salted caramel tart is to die for.

Lovely old fashioned interior; good service (though I will admit it was quiet when we were there - only a couple of other diners so don't know what it would be like if busy); excellent range of local beers. Overall decent value for money and I'm looking forward to a repeat visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed for one night...alas it was the hottest night of the year, the rooms are nicely decorated and ample space nice to see a good choice of teas in the room, we had a small dog with us and she too was welcomed.
We ate from the bar menu in the evening and sat outside, both food & wine were good. We found all the staff friendly and helpful.
The breakfast we had in the bar because of the dog, we ordered the cook breakfast which was very good a generous portion and all fresh food and bread, we were served cheerfully & promptly.
The only thing that marred our breakfast was the cleaner wanted to hoover around us, we asked the waitress if the cleaner could return when we finished breakfast which she did.
The cleaner came past our table and glared...if looks could kill we would be a pile of ashes??
Shame, because overall we recommend others to go?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
Duxford Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melbourn
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!