“Rude gardener or warden”
Review of Stroud Hill Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pidley
Stroud Hill Park
Barnet, United Kingdom
“Rude gardener or warden”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at this site for a week with friends on the next pitch, all was well when one afternoon the gardener or warden on his new tractor decided to cut the grass. He drove the tractor at a fast speed like a new toy, he unplugged my water, electric & waste so he could mow around my caravan and also drove at high speed towards my wife who was relaxing on her seat enjoying the weather. We were sitting as a group of friends enjoying this site until this happened. The man must have had a screw loose. On no other site does anyone unplug your equipment. No wonder they are not part of the Caravan Club anymore when this happened. It was a nice site but I will not return here when staff like him treat their customers like that.
Also I mentioned at the beginning of my stay that the gents urinals were overflowing but nothing was done while I was there that week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Paul M

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Went to this site for a weekend stay. A beautiful location that was easy to find. Facilities are brilliant and spotlessly clean. Site is very well kept. Staff are friendly and helpful. Site is very quiet however, there is a barn directly next to the site that is hired out for weddings which we knew nothing about. We were lucky that there was not a wedding on during our stay, which would I believe have meant we would not have enjoyed our stay as much. The site is advertised as tranquil so I would advise checking if there is a wedding on before you book or as another review suggested, check if the fishing lake is shut for the day which might indicate a function at the barn. The award winning restaurant on site is wonderful again with friendly helpful staff and the most wonderful food with a menu that changes monthly. Perfect for a special meal. I would definitely stay here again but would check if the barn is being used first.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Cookies44
Milton keynes
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We first arrived and the site was perfect - friendly it's own bar and restaurant and the best weather you could want!

Sitting down to relax Saturday evening and there is a wedding in the barn in the next field own by the same people! So rather than relaxing to our own choice of music we were bombarded with music - probably made louder as it was a nice evening and doors would have been opened.

The music seemed to stop around midnight and then almost immediately a rave started and was still going until we understand the police were called at 1.30

I telephoned the contact number which appeared to be the owner and was told the wedding music had stopped and there was a rave in the village of which he could do nothing about. He also told me that he was sleeping right next door and it was wasn't bothering him........ But it was bothering a lot of people on the site.

Whilst I have no objection to people having fun - the site is described as adults only and tranquil! I am not allowed to wash up after 10pm due to noise but it is ok for the owner to hold a wedding without explaining this to campers when they booked or arrived! If we were advised there was a wedding then we would have gone some where else!

I understand that weddings are restricted throughout the year but there is no mention on the website so u could end up up being unlucky like we were! Ask if the fishing lake is open during your stay - if not the chances are there is a wedding and I would recommend booking else where.

It was a real shame as the site was excellent in every other way but I want a relaxing tranquil weekend not disturbed by music' which could have been avoided if the site was open and honest about potential disturbances!

Disappointingly we would not risk staying here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank john c
Harpenden, Herts
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent 2 nights here, 21st & 22cnd June, and had a thoroughly relaxing time. Although the weather was very windy and a bit wet we found the peace and quiet a real tonic. So good in fact that we didn't move off the site! Very unusual for us. The bar and restaurant have a marvelous menu and the service and welcome is amazing. The lake is well stocked and very well managed. I was extremely pleased to see the Environment Agency roll up with a police escort on the Saturday and check all the anglers for rod licenses. The wardens told me this is a regular occurrence. the service pitches are very good although I would suggest that you need to take your ramps as some of them have a sideways slope.

Room Tip: All pitches are good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JustMeHerandtheDog
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for the late may bank holiday and as usual a friendly welcome from Lynne and Steve the site wardens. Facilities are immaculate, the restaurant was up to the usual good standard especially the Sunday lunch. Just 10 minute walk away is the golf club which has a 4 lane 10 pin bowling alley so we paid it a visit and will make use of it again. The fishing lake is also good place to while the time away. We will definitely be back later this year. Would definitely recommend this site

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Mossey112
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have just got home from being on this site for the weekend.

The site its self is immaculate, peaceful and pretty. All the super service pitch extras you expect. Pitches are all newley gravelled so its so easy to get the van level.

We dined both Friday and Saturday evenings at the resturant hosted by Sebastian and his team.

We enjoy good food, we would have to say they got top marks on all the courses and the hosts were delightful.
Not too in your face or interfering just right. The dress code is casual which is what you want when caravaning, but you wouldn't feel out of place if you dressed up either.

Beautiful big barn with intimate tables and not too close to other diners.

For us we work all week so to have a good resturant on site was a bonus, as we haven't found elsewhere as yet to this standard. It makes a welcome change to not to have to drive into a town for dinner, which makes it a treat for us both to be able to have a drink or two.

We will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: Any of the hardstanding pitches would be fine, hill top grass pitches have a fab view over the valle...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank missynottstraveller
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I found this site through the Caravan Club where it is listed as an associated site. However on arrival I was told that the site is no longer associated with the Caravan Club but that this decision had been made by the owner after the Caravan Clubs site guide for 2013 had gone to press. For the balance of this year they will give Caravan Club members a £1 discount on site fees per night , so I paid £24 per night instead of £25 for a fully serviced pitch. The amenities are of a high standard. Unusually the shower cubicles are large "wet room" style containing a shower toilet and handbasin, disappointingly for me I found the water for the shower was rather lukewarm and no adjustment is available. There is a beautiful barn on site which has a restaurant and bar but from my viewpoint I thought the menu was rather upmarket and expensive for a Caravan site and I did not use it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Empcom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pidley
No photo provided
Grove Barn Cambridgeshire
Pointers Guest House
Pointers Guest House
#1 of 1 in Wistow

Been to Stroud Hill Park? Share your experiences!