“Decent resort if your purpose is back to nature”

and 1 more site!
Kota Rainforest Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Kota Tinggi
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed there for 2nights for a church retreat with a group of about 50 people. Overall the environment is quite pretty and the facilities adequate. It is your sort of "back to nature" retreat and is about a 30-40min walk away from the Kota Tinggi Waterfall. We used the conference hall or the Ortak Room a lot and had to get used to a weird smell that we suspect may be due to some animals that reside on the roof.

The rooms are basic but most had air conditioning and hot water which is good. The mattresses however is very hard and not conducive for a good night sleep. When we first got into the room, we also found lizard droppings on the blanket and floor which really reminded us of where we were. Dont expect any luxury but overall the standard is still acceptable for such a rustic setting. The firefly cruise is also recommended and you can book that with the hotel reception.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kota Rainforest Resort

Reviewed November 2, 2011

i understand that the NEW management is renovating and refurbishing the resort in parts. And, therefore, the resort is not as bad as what had been written.

Recently, i had a 2D1N vacation at this resort with my family, including children aged 11 and 14. We were very fortunate to get an airconditioned room/chalet with hot shower available. The room is spacious enough to accomodate my family.

We like the quiet, clean and green environment. Set breakfast was appropriate and enough.
We met two very nice staff there - adventure consultant and environment specialist. We did not go for any nature trails, but I heard that the fireflies in Kota Tinggi are aplenty! The environment specialist is very knowledgeable about the medicinal herbal plants being grown there.

We did kayaking on the first evening. The next morning, we tried out rock climbing, flying fox and abseiling - ably conducted by the adventure/activity expert. These were fun events for the whole family - as the equipment is certified safe by external consultant every six months. The whole area is very photographable!

We had meals nearby, an hour drive to Teluk Sengat for seafood - very fresh. It was also by chance that we were "directed" to Telok Sengat. Telok Sengat is a quaint clean and quiet town. The crocodile farm is worth a visit for the family - tailless ones and babies a week old.

Room Tip: ask for aircon, hot shower and TV rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank francis_61jb
Reviewed February 26, 2011

In the brochure, and on the internet, the resort is telling you, that you can go hiking and kayaking. We did try the hiking trip. It`s was only one hour, and very boring. The kayaking we didn't do, because the kayaks was lying, in a very small lake(50meter in diameter). The swimming pool was also small and dirty. Don`t visit this resort, unless you want to go to a convent.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Skallebaek
Reviewed December 23, 2009

i went to the resort 3 times, the 1st time when i was there, i already realised the place is kind of run down and facilities were bad, beside nothing much they have, there are also problem with flies n mosquitoes. Yes no TV, no phone, no heater. very much back to the forest. I didnt mind it as the price then was very low, and my main aim is the outdooor activities; farms and waterfall.
Last month I was thinking to go again with family n friends but i realised prices had change, family of 3 with 2 more friends will cost me almost S$600 for a trip there, not including any other places or things we are planning to do. Thank God I never confirmed it as prices is really not worth that type of place to stay in during a holiday.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank jcrs6769
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We wanted to climb the Gunung Panti yesterday (13th Dec 2009) and since we aren't Johorians, I guess we took the wrong turn somewhere and landed in Kota Rainforest Resort. We're from Ipoh, Perak.

It is said that Malaysians are always helpful people and you will find Kota Rainforest Resort the total opposite. Firstly, I was not allowed to park my car in the resort because I was not a guest there. I was only allowed to use the toilet unless I paid RM10 per person. What????

The guy at the front desk (guess his name was Joe) was a person who never heard of the word smile. Malaysians are polite people especially when you are polite to them. This guy was the total opposite. Any question that we asked him, came only in two answers
1) You are not a guest here or
2) I don't know

I asked him if he could at least point us in the right direction. Again, I got the above 2 answers. Never in my life, I have ever met a person working at a hotel or resort that is highly priced and behave with such rudeness.

I was there with my wife and another couple and we did somehow manage to walk around the premises undetected. We found that there weren't any staffs there. So if you are going to spend your time here ..... Good Luck ... you are going to need it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Amos_Kumar
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Alright, I'm a Singaporean and in my thirties. But, I have stayed in a flat all my life. Sanitized, sensitized & not in the best position to argue about a place which tells you to get back to Nature. The name "rainforest" beckons me.

I stayed a night for about RM$200 plus, it wasn't difficult to find the place and my first impression seems to be quite good. Cooling and quiet. We went to check in and they do not have electronic access for credit card facilities. They were still using the 'old swipe with a carbon paper and I'll call for an approval code' method which I thought was nice and ties in with the back to nature quality (or does it?). We booked the firefly river cruise for about RM$20/px which was for that night.

Went to the room and it was really bare....no fridge...no phone....no TV...no LIFE?? Just a bed and a really small bathroom. As small as the bathrooms in Genting Highlands hotel.
Nevermind, I decided that perhaps it might be a spiritual cleansing moment....Well, we fished out of our bags our DVD player. Portable technology I love u...

Our room rate was packaged with dinner and it was held at an open wooden hut, food was with sausages, fish cake, bee hoon, otah, papaya. Though they had the barbecue of fish, chicken wings & satay which was also as a buffet. Nice and quiet...but come on! The flies!!! They were like bred at the resort to drive the patrons mad! So many, u can't swipe at them long enough to eat. After a while, we gave up and decided to go back to our room. We noticed that there was a swimming pool which looks clean (did not try to dip in) and a man made mini waterfall by the pool.

Stayed in the room and the aircon was bad bad bad....left it running during dinner thinking it might cool the room and no it did not....seems the wooden floor boards has mini lobangs that eats away at the cool air.

Went for the firefly cruise and me and my bf enjoyed it. Nice!!! Never knew an almost pitch black river cruise with strong smelling petrol throughout the ride would be the most quaint experience of this trip. The boatman even drove us straight beneath canopies of tree branches filled with fireflies...Magical!!

Went back to the resort and stayed in our room for the rest of the night watching Slumdog Millionaire and Allo Allo on our portable. At least something to do right?

Unless you are coming as a group and oganising ur own activities. Couples might not find this place interesting unless you decide to hump in the room to fill in all the missing facilities...guess this must be how a radioless, TVless, phoneless, fridgeless existence- warm beer - would entail...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheops75
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I Had stayed at this place 3 times before before and I enjoyed it. This time I thght to go along with my kids and had a very bad experience. This is really expensive hotel targeted at Singaporeans like me who generally dont mind paying high price for good service.
So following issues during this stay and i wont recommend this place to anyone with small kids especially:
- On weekend you pay minimum of RM210 per nite(Inclusive breakfast) which is sky high for the run down place like this with no service. Mind you the price of Sofitel, Palm resorts, Hyatt are all around this price, infact some of the 4 star hotels are cheaper than what they charge here.
- If Kota Tinggi is the place to go, you can also consider Meyers Hotel which is 3 star with Standard Room below RM 100/nite with breakfast. Its only 10km from Kota Rainforest resort if u r driving.
- Guy at resort reception wont help you with your luggage. Be prepared to face the stone face with no smile or greeting.
- Room 305 is had a ants nest, with few thousand ants. Lucky managed to find and change room.
- No telephone in room
- No hot water in the room
- Ants are a problem in most rooms the second room had ants too but not in thousands ... lucky me.
- No baby cot. I was told by reception that mgt dont want to buy. So for your one yr or 2yr old infact you have to pay extra RM 50 for extra bed. This is very bad way of making money.
- Breakfast area has lot of flies. Very unhygienic. The same place is also used for dinner with again more flies and extra mosquitoes.
- Room as no mosquito repellent which I shall expect if I am paying RM 210/nite
- If you turn your head above to ceiling you would see lot of spider webs... no maintenance for the place for long time.
- Swimming pool in dire situation too.
- I wud suggest u have a look at the place before you pay. As you would be asked to pay first in Singapore. Dont always listen to the story that its all going to be fully booked, we singaporeans get worried to fast.i was there with only 4 more Singaporean families in entire resort and I was still asked to pay first before in Singapore with 90% of resort empty :-) I was told that it was full just a day before and I am lucky. .....
- It used to be a great place, I hope mgt do something to justify this hefty price tag on their resort with atleast some basic renovation and service.

rgds
Manoj

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Papa-Spidey
Austin Heights Golf & Hotel Resort
Kota Heritage Hotel
Kota Heritage Hotel
#4 of 10 in Kota Tinggi

Been to Kota Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!