“No return trip for this unless you're ready to pay so much for a disappointing stay! (Nice beach though!)”

Pelangi Balau Resort
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Kota Tinggi
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Confusion was the first thing we felt as it is no longer called Pelangi Balau Resort but Bayu Balau Resort. Thankfully we asked the reception out of doubt or else we will be driving around in circles looking for Pelangi!

We didn't had any high hopes initially as we were expecting a kampong style of accommodation. But honestly, I think we have stayed in a better kampong place/ budget place(and cheaper too) than this!!! There were many mosquitoes, cobwebs & dust, the toilet was run-down with no toiletries at all. The room is so-called clean and if you're not fussy, it should be quite okay for a night stay but we seriously don't think the cost of one night here is worth it. Furthermore, we asked for extra towels & they actually charged us rm3 for one.

We went out to buy food at the nearby seafood eatery and it was very dark outside with minimum lighting. Very, very disappointing. Really need to look into improvements in maintenance, housekeeping and oh, just revamp the whole place because the beach itself is gorgeous! Too bad there are no other resorts nearby (unless you stay in Desaru or Kota Tinggi).

Gonna just stay here one night for the lovely beach & the rural atmosphere and then off we go! No return trip for this one unfortunately!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank KittyExplorers

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Yet another last minute decision to drive to Desaru and naturally over the CNY break, there were no rooms left. Thankfully there's Pelangi Balau Resort with one room left (if u can wait for housekeeping). The reception was working hard to please their neighbouring visitors and we were given our room keys ASAP. So we trodded to the last block and up the second floor to Room 213 and we saw the room still being cleaned (there were underwear, peanuts, plastic wrapper, sand piled by the door). U can imagine what a nightmare it was and my prissy partner of the Four Seasons kind would have died had I not diverted his attention to the light at the end of the corridor - the beach (with its haunting winds).

Before the beach was a pool filled with people of every shape and size. I distracted my nausea from the sight before by focusing on the kids' laughter and how a simple slide at the pool brought so much joy, to so many people.
Thankful we finally had a room to nurse my migraine? Yes. Thankful for my prissy partner of the Four Seasons kind...hmm not really.

Of course the distraction lasted 10 minutes before he stomped to reception to demand a cleaner or cleaned room and all he got was a face staring back at him. When I spoke slowly and nicely to reception about how I needed a room urgently to ice my migrained head and impending nausea, she activated 2 more housekeeping staff to assist. Reception tried their very best with the chaos of checking in and out as well as managing queries from menacing neighbouring visitors (who obviously have no desire to bunk in a Malay-sian resort, as one earlier reviewer unfortunately experienced...boohoo).

Thankful my parents taught me manners? Absolutely.

Ok, the room is what you'd expect of a 'standard' malaysian resort i.e you get what you pay for. There was the overpowering scent of cheap air freshener in an attempt to freshen up the room but we cranked ALL the windows open and the balcony door and doused the sheets with Gucci. That's routine behaviour anyway...so a quick check around the room proved that it was clean but not clinically clean. The housekeeping auntie was nice enough to say "please check and if you unhappy, we clean and clean again." I wanted to rest asap so I told her thank you and did my own quick Dettol treatment of the bathroom to remove some lizard droppings. Of course, resorts like this have must-use-slippers-while-showering bathrooms but thankful I have a place for a cold shower to nurse my migraine? Most certainly.

We woke up early when the kids (it's a family oriented resort, couples or families with no young children are best to stay away, if possible) were still asleep so we managed a quiet stroll to the beach where we saw people camping, right beside the pool. Thankful I had concrete roof over my migrained head....definitely. The pool was clean with no algae and it smelled right (I've been to pools that smell 'off' haha). We walked to the jetty to enjoy the strong winds and brown choppy waters before heading back for the buffet breakfast at the cafe.

The cafe overlooked the pool and in the horizon the beach. Breakfast was simple - nasi lemak, mee goreng, baked beans, kaya toast, cordial and tea/coffee. It was simple fare but tasty except for the mee goreng. I couldn't help but chuckle at the state of my partner and I when the kids paraded down to the cafe armed with their swimming paraphernalia - all grins and goggles.
I also couldn't help but laugh (and yes, I pointed) at my partner for his constant frown while poking at his mee goreng. He was gracious enough to try the nasi lemak and he did say it was tasty.

We couldn't swim coz the pool was packed (you're given a pool ticket during check-in) so we snoozed a little before checking out. When I asked my prissy partner of the Four Seasons kind of his experience he said it was eye-opening and is humbled. As for me, I just felt like we had a crash course in a truly local experience. Thankful for that? Obviously.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sheikhasheikh
Penang
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stay there because of office family 2D1N trip, if not we definitely not come. Horribly, our family suite (which they had claimed for so many years, not worth the money) is a house for cockroaches!! We cannot even sleep and at 12pm, we rushed to reception to asked for another room but only get a small bottle of mosquito repellent. With that, we managed to kill almost 15-20 cockroaches!!! all night long the suite is full of repellent gas, terrible!! To those who read this out, use your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Nothing is good here, please go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Aimar10

Travelers are raving about these Kota Tinggi hotels

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

A nice place to relax with an outdoor swimming and wading pool. Be careful when in the wading pool area especially near the water slide area. You may accidentally kick or trip on the extended concrete railing that protrudes in the water area there.
Otherwise, it's a nice place to relax and it faces the beach front. Try to avoid swimming in the sea as thhe whole area stretching from desaru to tanjong balau is noted for its swift underwater current. During the monsson season , from October to January, many swimmers have been drown.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank casey w
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Customer service...i dont think they have...staff..rude...
front resk(reception)...know nothing about the resort...
room...dirty.oso many cat around..smelly...
so shame of Malay resort..hmmm..
So dissappointed because i go with my whole family including my father & mother in law..my brother & sister in law..i swear i will not stay again at this place..poor resort..

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Shaiful A
Bangi Selangor
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Room not as expected. Agreed with the other commentators/reviews that this hotel is not well maintained and not a comfortable place to stay. Supposed to stay for 2 nights however changed my mind on seeing & experiencing the room condition. Not recommended and not worth the rates ( based on market rates). Should give a very reasonable rate based on the room condition.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank jimboBangiSelangor
kuantan
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We got to know about this hotel is through the net.From their net advertisement we can see that its no more less like a heaven on earth.But the nightmare starts when we arrived there.we have to wait for almost 10 minutes for the front office staff to realize that there is somebody standing in front of the reception desk( they were busy chatting ).
After 5 hours drive from Kuantan , I ,my wife & my 9 month daughter really need a good rest but yet there is still a shock on their way.We were given room look like non other than a barn! The room was smelly , not well maintained & it looks like it haven't been touch in a decade.
My wife then went to the reception and ask for a room change...yes they give us another room or I can say it here another 'barn'..again we went to the reception & ask for another room change & this time ( with sour face )they said all rooms are fully booked. We then asked them to return our money so that we can leave the hell & lucky after quarreling for almost 20 minutes we manage to get back our money & leave the place.
I wont recommend this place of hell to others...please look for other hotel instead

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#7 of 10 in Kota Tinggi
Lotus Desaru Beach Resort
Lotus Desaru Beach Resort
#1 of 5 in Bandar Penawar

Been to Pelangi Balau Resort? Share your experiences!