“Great Beach Hotel”

Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while attending a wedding in the area. The location is outstanding with great views and walk out right onto the beach. The front desk service was great and the room was very clean. Marie at the front desk was particularly help full in providing area information and assisting with a special request. I am in the hospitality business and I was very impressed with the fact that even though we stayed in January and the temperatures where cold the staff was very diligent about getting the expansive out door pool area ready each morning, unstacking all of the lounge chairs and cleaning the entire pool area along with the multiple hot tubs. I was glad to see after all the work they put in that a few brave guest did use the pool.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
InnisfreeMedia, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear WoburnGM,

I'm glad you found the facilities and staff impressing despite the January temperatures. During the cloudy days, the sun may peek out, if only for a moment or two, but we must be ready just in case it turns out to be a gorgeous day!

Marie is indeed very helpful with information and special requests, she is also our Social Media Coordinator, I will cheer her per your compliments.

We do our best to make it inviting...no matter rain or shine!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Was super excited to stay at this hotel with my family over the holidays while visiting family. Originally the reservation process was very easy and quick and seemed that we were in for a flawless stay. The day of checkin I called to verify my reservations for my 2 rooms and all was correct. Then came check-in. Stood in line for 37 minutes with only 1 person ahead of me. Finally got checked in only to lug kids and a ton of luggage up to our rooms to find incorrect room types and the rooms weren't adjoining . Called the front desk only to be told that "sorry there's nothing we can do". This meant that our weekend getaway now would be spent in seperate rooms so that our teens wouldn't be unsupervised. We had also requested gulf side rooms and that didn't happen either. We were so excited for the pool as we were told it was heated (main reason we booked here) only to find that the one pictured is not. After a disappointing evening we went out and had some dining and shopping at local shops and the observation wheel. We then returned to our rooms to be kept awake by a drunk cursing so loudly in the room next door that the tv couldn't drown him out. After a long night we went down for breakfast and enjoyed a half stocked buffet. Kids LOVED it and did I until I got a bill!!!! 58.00!!!!!! Keep in mind this was supposed to be included. Breakfast managers solution was to pay it then take it up with management later in the week when they return. Absolutely irritated I went and got my stuff and left. I did in fact email the GM but didn't hear back until 6 days after my departure and he had someone else contact me. I will be posting on every site I can to warn about this property and what a ripoff it is. Also have filed complaints with the brand. Service recovery should always be #1. Mistakes happen irs how we handle them that matters.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank traveltheworldn10
InnisfreeMedia, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear traveltheworldn 10,

We are very sorry for your disappointment! We also expect a flawless guest experience for you.

Normally, all room requests are handled with priority and are awarded if available. It is understood that a miscommunication had resulted and for that we are sincerely apologetic. We have one adjoining room per floor, so the possibility of them not being available is greater.

As for the breakfast coupon, you are correct, this could have been handled better at the restaurant without any further billing issues.

There is no excuse for the delay in response to your complaint...by now the guest service recovery has been processed. Though we can't undo what has been done, we are confident that these issues will not be repeated.

For further assistance with this matter and future reservations you may contact Christina Dawson, Front Office Manager, (850) 932-5331 or email: christina@innisfree.com

Please give us another opportunity to give you and your family a fabulous weekend getaway!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My dad, uncle two younger cousins and I spent 2 days at the holiday inn resort, it was nothing but a wonderful stay. The food was great, the staff was amazing and there was stuff for all of us to do. My cousins are 13 and 16, I am 22 and my dad and uncle are 50 +, so I can honestly say this was great for all ages.

Room Tip: Call or book ahead
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ARParliament

Dear ARParliament,

No, you're amazing! So glad you had a GREAT stay!

Honesty is the best policy..."great for all ages" sums us up just fine!

Thanks for the sincere comments!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel was a great bargain! The rate was great and the hotel was right on the beach. I would love to come back there in the summer when it was warm enough to swim in their very elaborate outdoor pool with the lazy river. The indoor pool was nice though. I wish the restaurant had been a bit more upscale but overall it was perfect for us because we have a kid. I highly recommend this hotel to families with children who want to go to Pensacola!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Sasslynn,

Yes indeed! The rates are bargains this time of year. If you've never been to the beach, great time to see if you like it.

You are right, the weather is on the cooler side, therefore the outside pool, Lazy River, is a bit chilly...not heated...but we have two HOT TUBS to make up for it!

Absolutely come back to us!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The room, the common areas, and the beach were outstanding. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming. Some beach hotels feel they don't have to deliver, because, after all...they're at the beach! But the pride in the maintenance of this property is obvious.

We ate lunch in the restaurant twice, and felt the food quality was above average. Restaurant pricing seemed reasonable for what you might expect at a beach "resort." Actually, I think I had a 'Cuban Sandwich' both times, so it must have been OK. Not recommended for families on a budget, though.

We had two minor problems:

Service in the restaurant was a little sketchy. Maybe they were understaffed...but maybe they were just sketchy. Somewhat stiff, hurried, and not particularly friendly. I thought things might improve for the second lunch, but it was the same. Food was good, though.

On the first day (we left the hotel early and left our 'Make Up Room' sign out), our room was not cleaned until approximately 4:30 PM. On our second day, when the room had not been cleaned by 4 PM, we specifically asked at the front desk that it be cleaned. By 7 PM, it had still not been cleaned. A polite reminder to the front desk quickly resulted in an adjustment that accommodated us properly. But, it would have been better to have the room cleaned promptly.

In short, a surprisingly excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
InnisfreeMedia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear looper45,

We do take pride in our facilities and service...we appreciate that you noticed!

We apologize for the less than friendly service in the restaurant...we certainly want our waitstaff to be as good as our food.

Unfortunately, reminders to have your room serviced does happen but is not our policy...we will be more prompt!

Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

It is a beautiful property and the building is very colorful. The rooms were nice and comfy. The view from the balcony was beautiful and you could hear the waves (and wind!).The biggest drawback was that the DVD play did not have a remote, which turned out to be a problem in our room. Also I saw on the comforter a red lipstick like stain which indicated that it was not washed, and that kinda ooged me out. I would advise skipping eating at the café it is a bit on the pricy side and service is not that great. I hope to come back in the summer and enjoy the beach (it was too cold during our stay to enjoy the outside amenities).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Cordelia L,

We hope to see you in the summer too! Temperatures during the winter months in NW Florida are not always 70+, however the cool days don't last. It is a beautiful beach no matter what temperature!

The DVD players do not have their own remotes and neither do we have a universal remote at this time.

We normally retire any bedding that has stains...and if our guests are not satisfied we will immediately replace upon request.

The Riptides Bar and Grill is very competitive with all beach restaurants and the servings are generous.

Make plans early in the year for a summer reservation...we fill up fast!

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Family vacation- Pros-
Very nice decor, comfy beds, etc. on beach , excellent views.

Cons- Short on waitstaff - Christmas Eve -am for breakfast. Server was nice but admitted she was helping from another area.

We had problems w / teens being very loud in hall- running, yelling, etc. my husband called front desk, then talked to the rude neighbors himself. Resort and loud teens don't coexist in my mind. For this reason alone,we were very irritated.

Toilet in bathroom overflowed. Ugh.....
A maintenance staff member did appear to help - we were already on our way to check out .

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank travelbear1999
InnisfreeMedia, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear travelbear1999,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel.

There was a high school basketball team in the hotel during your stay. The coach and players were very apologetic and behaved better on their last night.

We try to stay ahead of and control noise when it is heard or reported as soon as possible. We appreciate you contacting the front desk to bring it to our attention.

The toilet has been serviced and is working well.

A couple groups were in for breakfast which made the usual staffing responsibilities a little stretched.

We certainly hope you come back to visit the area and stay with us again!