“Takes you back in time. Favorite spot for locals.”
Review of Paradise Inn

Paradise Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Gulfport, MS
“Takes you back in time. Favorite spot for locals.”
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This place is not Th Ritz, but it is very laid back & charming. The rooms are small, but nice (not fancy) & have been updated. The hotel is across the street form the Gulf, right on the sound. There is a pavillion that has a bar & grill, and at night there is live entertainment. During the day you can lie in a lounge chair on the sound, enjoy the pool, or just walk across the street to enjoy the Gulf. It's also right in the middle of everything, so no need to drive.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Stockbridge, Georgia
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My wife booked this hotel for a little fourth of July weekend getaway. After finding out where she booked us, I pulled them up here. The reviews were almost exactly split, either people hated it or loved it. With an open mind and a need for so R&R, away we went. I would have to say that for the most part the reviews, bad and good were honest. This is what I call a perspective hotel. If you want 5 star service and a stuffy Hotel...go somewhere else, you won't like this place and to be honest they probably won't like you. If you want a laid back proprty with a laid back local flair, this place is for you.
The Good:
Dog friendly! Radar the hotel mascot has got to be the coolest dog I have ever met.
People friendly! Everyone was really nice. The staff was great, the bar staff was friendly (like having friends serve you). The guests were pretty friendly too.

The perspective factors:
Lots of college aged people. I am 42 my wife is younger than me. I like young people, they have fun. These kids weren't looking to beat anybody up or to party till they puked, but they did have a LOT of fun.
Live band right outside your door. Yeah, but if you are reading this you have been warned. the band typically stopped well before 11:00 (but after 10:00) It was fun.
Small rooms with foam (tempurpedic style) mattresses These rooms were cozy, but for the spin it is easier to cool a little room than a suite!
On the bay side (not the Gulf side) This was a plus for the 4th of July, because the fireworks are in the bay and we had amazing seats on the beach, hanging out with the locals.

The Bad:
Hot water was not so hot
Ice was hard to come by.
I had to go home after 2 nights (work calls, not the hotels fault.)

Summation:
Lighten up people! If you want a cool place to vacation with some laid back friendly folks, this is the "secret place". If not, go somewhere that snottiness and houghtiness is appreciated. This place was awesome!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jkwheel8766
Mandeville LA
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed at the Paradise this past weekend and we loved it!!! It is a bit of old Florida. Those looking for fancy would not be happy here. But if you prefer a laid back, easy going, friendlly place to stay with an awesome bay beach front bar and grill with live music and great drinks, you will be pleased. The rooms are decent, the pool small but sufficient and you can walk to restaurants on the island. We have stayed at more "upscale" places on P/Cola Beach over the years, but we sure did enjoy our stay at the Paradise. We'll be back!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lee, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2009

OK, the Paradise Inn is NOT pristine. It is a revamped, old-fahioned motor lodge on the soundside of Pensacola Beach. The housekeeping and furnishings leave something to be desired. The rooms are tiny, the bathrooms even smaller. The tv is mounted way too high. However, I really liked this place anyway. It was REAL. It has character. Yes, it is noisy at night; with loud music emanating from the bar/grill. This time of year it has more than its share of skinny, shirtless and drunk college boys. It's a fun place though. It reverberates with abundant life. The activity outside draws you to the window, if not to the bar itself. It is not your boring, average chain hotel with antiseptic rooms and silence in the lobby. If that is what you seek, you certainly will be unhappy at the Paradise, but if you want to experience some local flavor you may just love it. If you are concerned about the substantial noise, you can ask for a room set away from the bar, or do what I did and turn the air conditioner on high. I really wasn't bothered by the noise at all, although some drunk girl knocked on my door by mistake at 3:30 am. (Good thing I wasn't some bad guy). I will stay here again. It's a fun bargain for people with a little imagination and willingness to take a chance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank budget_travel_girl
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I really wanted to like this hotel. It was cheap, on the beach, and has a great website. We were put in this room in the back corner, no natural light except one tiny window. It was really odd shaped and the TV was on the ceiling. The bed was made of foam. It advertises wireless internet but it didn't reach our room. The room smelled like mildew. Breakfast was terrible even by my low standards. We checked out and went across the street to Days Inn to finish our vacation. The staff was friendly but a little clueless. I ordered a hamburger and asked for condiments--ketchup and mayo--and even asked specifically at the bar if they were in my order.. Of course they were not and I had to go back. The waitresses at the bar were typical in that if they thought you would tip well you got great service, otherwise good luck. The band was OK. It is very loud late into the night. Spend the extra $25 bucks and stay at the Days Inn.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — the quality of the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Charlie Bananas
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I'm a local who tries to support the beach businesses on a regular basis. At first Paradise was great, but the service has left a sour taste in my mouth. It took me 20 minutes to get served a beer. The bartenders made eye contact at me many times and continued to ignore me. I had company in town and was appalled by the lack of attention from the service staff. The beach has gotten so out of hand and Paradise was one of the few places to go and relax and get away from the drama. Now it is nothing but drama. You can't go to the boardwalk anymore because the service staff from Flounders likes to liquor everyone up for the Stripper Show there at midnight and lets all the drunken morons ruin it for everyone. The police are constantly staked out in front of Flounders with a Paramedic on hand, but yet Flounders is FULL of under aged girls that are being let in by little horny door men. Paradise use to be an islander's best kept secret, but now I guess I'll have to pay twice the amount for a beer at Charlie Bananas to get some darn service. Paradise needs a make over if they want it to keep locals happy because whatever they are doing now just isn't meeting the average local supporters needs. Aren't locals the ones who keep the business flowing during the off season??

• Liked — Use to be a Local's Paradise
  • Disliked — Lack of Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Angry_Local
somewhere in Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We were able to check in way early. The room we got was right next to the beach, it was clean, everything was working. Then a band started to play in the bar right in front of our room and we were nto able to hear a word inside our room, not even talking about sleeping. Tables and bar guests blocked our car, so we weren't able to leave either. Loud music was going on until almost 11 pm, then it got a bit quieter - only music from a radio. Drunk people all over the parking lot, lots of beer bottles (some broken) in the parking lot and around our room and lots of cigarette butts. The management was helpful and moved us to another room (and gave us a small discount). The new room was in a much quieter place, but the internet wasn't working there and there was no shower (had to draw a bath). SImply, if you are a party animal, go for it. If you have small kids with you, you might want to look for another hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Always something not working
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)