“Flounders and snappers and Crabs”

Flounder's Chowder House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 24, 2014

So, living on the beach, the area is strangely a little short on unfried seafood places. Flounders supplies, of course, fried seafood, but also, (along with likewise McGuire's owned Crabs,) fresh snapper most of the time... I've eaten the snapper grilled at Flounders and Crabs probably 30 times, and only twice had a less than excellent piece of fish, hot, fresh and delicate as snapper ought to be, a squeeze of lemon and otherwise only salt and pepper..delicious. Steaks are good, other things are "McGuires sized" and almost comical... try the Seafood Nachos.

It's a fantastic change from the ubiquitous grouper... which is apparently swimming around all the restaurants here (and which on one of the 2 bad days, they tried to pass off as the Snapper), and it's generally better than what the Grand Marlin does on the occasions it does have Snapper. BTW Have Tried to "track" my tagged fish from the ocean on the internet as described, but failed!! But it is still fresh and good.
Great clam chowder too.
Also beautiful Sunday mornings, outside, gulf front at Crabs... you can surprisingly almost always get a table on the Gulf and get nice brunch stuff.. good eggs benedict (or crab benedict) and of course... the snapper! Other seafood.. well it's fried or snow crab like at a chinese buffet.

There are newer reviews for Flounder's Chowder House

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This place was amazing! The food was worth the price. I recommend the fried pickles as the appetizer & the shrimp boat. For the daring individual order their famous Diesel Fuel drink made with 4 liqueurs @ the same time. We will be revisiting this place even of its just for a drink.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We all went here on a late Saturday night, and it was a good time. They had a pretty awesome band playing, it was a lot of fun. They have some special drinks called diesels, they will get you drunk quick. I would say late at night this probably is not the place for someone in their 40s- 50's. Kind of a spring break feel to it. Awesome place. I did not dine in so I can't speak for the food. Think its fine for families during the day and early night.

1  Thank CstxAggiefan
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Good food and decent price for seafood. We always eat here when we come done. Fun place to watch people play volleyball on the beach.

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We chose Flounders based on its dog-friendly review -- plus it was within walking distance from our hotel -- and we were not disappointed. It's a pretty big place, though the weeknight we were there it was not at all crowded. I can see why families would love to take their kids there: attached to the patio area is a beach playground, including playground equipment. Kids from neighboring tables were having a great time (and our dog enjoyed watching them and getting some of their attention). The patio also has a great view of the water.

The food was really fresh tasting. We started with the boiled, peel-and-eat shrimp. They were some of the cleanest shrimp I've ever had. My husband ordered the famous stuffed flounder, but I took advantage of their new program: I ordered the fresh Gulf snapper powered by Fish Trax, which means my fish came out with a QR code so I could find out who caught my particular snapper and where. It's part of Flounders' "sustainability-focused program to connect our community of fishermen with our guests." I really liked knowing that my fish hadn't been shipped in from South America or somewhere but had been caught by someone local.

Both my husband and I enjoyed our meals. The new potatoes were too salty -- very salty -- but the main course was seasoned and cooked well. Both meals came with asparagus.

My husband ordered their famous Diesel Fuel drink, a massive jar full of four types of alcohol and something sweet. It was half price; otherwise he wouldn't have done it. He's usually not a mixed drink guy, but he gave the drink a thumbs up, saying it wasn't too sweet and it had good flavor.

I noticed in their bathroom and on the way out of the front door that Flounder's is committed to recycling and sustainability. If you appreciate such things, and if you're undecided because there's too much good seafood in this area, give this place a chance. It's the details that set a restaurant apart for me. Plus the food and service were both very good.