“Just avoid this place”

Castaways Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Antonio, Texas
“Just avoid this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We were only in Pensacola for a short time and decided to try this place because it had started to rain and we didnt feel like walking around in the rain looking for somewhere. Our first clue should have been the fact that when you walk in it smelled like urine. I work downtown in San Antonio, TX and I recognize the smell from all of the homeless people who urinate on the sides of the street. It smelled just like that. Gross. We were greeted with a hello as soon as we walk in but there's nothing that says seat yourself or what to do once you're inside. My boyfriend asked if we just seat ourselves and the girl said yes she'll be right with us. He went to the restroom as I waited at the table. When he returned the waitress still had not even came to our table to get our drink order. He recommended that we leave and not eat there because their restroom was horrendous. He's never one to complain about those type of things so it had to have been really dirty for him to say something. Well as soon as I was about to get up, hear comes the server. I felt bad for trying to leave so we stayed but now I regret that nice side of me. We ordered chips and salsa. Okay, now maybe I'm a little biased when it comes to salsa because being from San Antonio we have authentic Mexican food where it's always fresh, really amazing salsa. I took the first bite and guess what? It was picante salsa. Yes, the kind you buy in the jar from the grocery store. I mean of all things, if you're going to serve salsa from a jar, don't get the kind everyone has at home when I'm paying $4 for some picante salsa I was already annoyed.not only that but I have worked in the restaurant business and when the chips have those little black specks that almost look like seasoning, it's not. That simply means that the fryers are dirty and haven't been cleaned out. Another red flag. I ordered nachos and my boyfriend ordered fish and chips. My nachos were okay at best. There were two cheeses on them. One was a shredded cheese that wasn't even melted. The other was that cheap nacho cheese that comes of a can. The kind you get at the movie theatre. The fries my boyfriend got with his fish were completely disgusting. Cold, not fresh, and just gross. He said the fish was alright. I'm not a seafood kind of gal so I didn't try that. The portions are really good but they need some help! The price you pay for this place compared with the quality of food you get is just crazy. I regret staying to eat here and I do NOT recommend this place at all. Skip it. There has to be much better places around there!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ashley900812

Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Shockingly a Family Friendly Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

It stormed the 3rd day of our week-long visit to Pensacola. We stumbled upon Castaways after visiting a souvenir shop nearby. We thought it was a bar, but quickly found out it was a fun little restaurant (that becomes a dance club / bar at night). They were super friendly to our 3 kids (ages 10, 5 & 3) and even let them dance on the dance floor! The Peanut Butter Burger is definitely a must-try!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank gwennoli
“Below average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Several family members and I sat down for some decent food and expected to be in and out fairly quick considering there were 3 waitresses working and only one other table was occupied. Not the case. The fish was good but everything else tastes like it had been sitting in the freezer way to long and the service was horrible. My wife actually had to go track the waitress down just so we could get our ticket after we finished our meal and sat there with empty drinks for about 10 minutes

• Visited July 2013
houston
“Garbage pile outside their front door.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

From the looks of planned entertainment, families better steer clear of the area. A pity when there is some nice things to see along the boardwalk.

Visited July 2013
Walton, Indiana
“Pretty view of the bay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food was average. Drinks were good.
Not a lot of people eating in there and all the help mostly
just sits around at the tables and smoke.
Wouldn't go back.