“The Time of my Life!!!”

Portofino Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Reviewed June 2, 2007

I booked directly through the onsite rental company, and would do it no other way. Because we rented with Intrawest we recieved free beach towels, we got to use the beach chairs and umbrella for free, and we got to ride their beautiful catamaran for free.
From the time I arrived my family and I were treated like royalty. The staff was so friendly and seemed like they would do anything to make our stay enjoyable. The checkin process was quick and flawless, the bell hop was friendly and delightful, the room was impecably clean. The Onsite restaurant had a delicious menu for both luch and dinner. The service was quick and the staff, again friendly. On the beach the guys were nice and accomidating. , and on the boat the captain and deck hend were very knowledgable. The boat ride was awesome. When the girl at the front desk told me about it I knew I had to try it. We saw dolphins along the way, and then arrived at the Portofino boardwalk were we enjoyed a unique shopping experience and again, wonderful food. The boat ride back was magnificent. We sat on the back so we could watch the sun set. Overall I can say nothing but good things about our entire experience at Portofino. We will definately be back next year!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Hotlanta123

Reviewed May 20, 2007

Condo: We rented this condo directly from the owner. The resort had some good prices but I found a motivated owner who quoted a very reasonable rate. The condo was fantastic. We were on the 13th floor with an unobstructed view of the gulf, bay, and island. Every thing was new and the place was spotless. All the appliances and furnishings were high quality. The bed had a firm mattress. The only thing about the condo that I wouldn't give top marks to is the sheets. They didn't fit well and felt like either a 180 count or a cotton/poly blend.
Resort: Staff is very friendly.
Entrances to the tower elevators are through the parking garages. Not pretty.
Parking is terrible. Places are small and there are lots of concrete walls and pillars. We drive a Mercedes M Class and had a hard time getting in and out of the assigned space when a car was parked next to us.
Tram didn't run very often.
It took us 10 - 15 minutes to walk to the beach. The beach is beautiful but across the road and then across access walkway.
There are toilets in the activity building but none near the tower pools. Each tower has a single toilet off the mail room.
Fitness center is very well equipped. Smoothie bar on same level.
We ate at the Mother's Day buffet in the only restaurant. The fruit, crab legs, and chocolate cake were very good. The other seafood was overcooked. The salad was okay but only one dressing choice. The vegetables and rice were both blends. The beef and other desserts were mediocre. Restaurant was closed part of time we were there.
Main outdoor pools were nice but noisy kids and adults on cell phones. The two pools are right next to each other.
Bar near pool. Drinks in plastic cups. Food available around pool some days. Served in plastic take out boxes.
Spa advertised a $120 facial special.
Gift shop had suntan lotion, flip flops and a limited number of other items.
We were there in the middle of May. Most of the condos were empty - I doubt even 10% full. The public facilities handled the crowd nicely but the gym won't handle a large crowd and the pool area isn't very big. Plan to eat outside the grounds or in your condo.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cbstraveller
Reviewed May 16, 2007

this resort is very nice, beautiful upkeep, fancy restaurant, first calss service. Yet there were many problems, the first of which is the reson i will never go back. Because of one person. Some girl at the front desk. She was foreign from bulgaria, czech, some place like that (in europe). I think her name was xara, farla, again i could not pronounce it. She was practically calling me a liar at the front desk and making me look like a fool. She said that i was not quoted the rate that i was quoted and that she was going to listen to the phone call of the convesation. I was sooo upset. Finally, she stepped away and two other front desk people apologized for the problem and immediatley took care of the situation. The rest of my stay was fine and uneventful but because of that lady, i will never go back, nor will i recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank rrdello
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I decided to go to Portofino for one reason, there Restaurant. Portofino has a four star restaurant and extremely affordable prices. To my suprise, they remodeled the restaurant and created a brand new menu, this menu cannot be improved at all. I think i had three of everything. From the restaurant to the moon lite walks on the beach. I highly recommend Portofino. it is an excellent getaway for honeymooners and that was obvious from the couple i accidently walked up on at the beach after the sun had set. It was a little awkward yet funny at the same time. What a more excellent place to express your love to a spouse than at Portofino.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank thunderthighs101
Reviewed April 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed in a suite and it was fantastic ! It was like being in your own home, extremely accommodating. Since we had to stay in a 2 bedroom, it was a bit on the pricey side. It would be best if 2 couples went and split the cost. The staff was very helpful and personable which is always a plus with me. We will definately be staying at Portofino Resort in the future! Believe me, it is worth the trip!

Andrea Scott

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank logansmomAtlanta
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We have stayed at the Portofino numerous times and this was the final straw! Upon arrival we were told that the unit we reserved had been given to someone who checked in earlier than we did. We reserved a gulf front tower and was given a tower at the back of the property. Great view of the bay and gulf from afar, but we had elderly parents who had a very hard time getting to and from the beach. They have a shuttle that drives from tower to tower to beach, but be prepared to wait! Also, when you reserve your unit you give them how many are in your party. We had 4 adults and 2 children in a three bedroom. We had one room with a king, and two rooms with a double bed. We had to go purchase a blow up matress for one of our kids and my husband and I had to sleep on a double bed. Very tough when you are used to a king! They were very rude at the front desk. Speaking to other familes who were vacationing, they had the same problems with their accommodations and walked from tower to tower looking at units that would accommodate their party. When you book a room, they do not place you in a unit until you check in, so you are not guaranteed a particular unit. We have had similar trouble in the past, but this was the last straw!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank spartan05
Reviewed April 3, 2007

If you are looking for the ultimate beach vacation, Portofino Resort is the place to spend it. It's without question the best place to vacation on Pensacola Beach.

We just returned from our stay that last five nights. The resort upgraded us to a penthouse suite that featured two bedrooms and a spacious kitchen and living room. Each room had access to the balcony, which overlooked the gulf to the left and the sound to the right.

The complex is made up of five towers. Each tower offers two parking spaces that are covered and located on the first three levels of each tower (covered). Elevators get you from your car to your suite in the matter of 2 minutes!

Each tower features it's own pool and hot tub. There is also a much larger community pool located at the central spa/fitness center building. This pool features food and drink service with a man playing guitar music all afternoon.

If you prefer, you can each meals up from the pool at an outside restaurant. We did this one day and found our server to be brutally slow and inefficient. It was the only draw back to our entire stay. The service was horrific even though the food was delicious.

If you prefer the beach, it's right across the street! There are Portofino reps on the beach ready to set you up with lawn chairs and umbrellas. The sand is white and sugary and literally five minutes from your condo tower.

As for food, there are restaurants on premise. Or you can hop in the car and be in the heart of all the beach restuarants and boardwalk within 10 minutes. Everything is casual, so no need to bring a more formal outfit. In fact, business casual is probably too formal!

Believe me when I say this place is 5-star all the way. We will definitely head back in the future. My two favorite beach places in all my years of travel have been The Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui and this place. Go with another family and split a three bedroom, along with the nightly rate.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
Margaritaville Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pe...
#3 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#7 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Be...
#1 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola/Gulf Breeze

Been to Portofino Island Resort? Share your experiences!