“Portofino is a unique find on a beautiful stretch of private beach”

Portofino Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Birmingham, Alabama
“Portofino is a unique find on a beautiful stretch of private beach”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is my second time staying at Portofino during the Memorial Day Pride Weekend. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. The grounds looks nice. My particular condo unit was not exactly nice. The furniture was tragic and out dated, but the unit itself was nice and the view was breathtaking.

5 Thank mmathews24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
St Louis, MO
Reviewed May 25, 2012

3BR 3 1/2BA with plenty of room for everyone. Huge balcony. Pools weren't crowded, crystal clear, and perfect temp. The inflatables in the bay are cool, 1hr is plenty of time to get worn out, no need to pay for full or half day.
Everything costs extra and is a lttle too pricey. Watch for happy hour specials in the daily bulletin. Mosquitos were out of c ntrol all over the property and along beach. You couldn't walk the beach at dusk. The dolphin and other cruises are cool but beware, they drop you off at the "boardwalk" for several hours because the property also owns shops/restaurants there. You are better off driving to the boardwalk to get on and off the boat so you're not forced into spending money at boardwalk.

5 Thank GoGirlStL
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Portofino Resort exceeded our expectations. We stayed at this resort in the beginning of May for a family retreat. The condo was spotless and completely furnished. Love the resort's amenities...especially the dolphin cruise! The staff were very friendly and accommodating. In addition, i would highly recommend purchasing a deluxe package if you have school age children. This package includes kayaking, biking, paddleboards etc...this helps to keep the kids active and busy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank rhonda g
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The location of this resort, close to both the Gulf of Mexico and the bay is fantastic. Staff couldn't have been friendlier, the layout of the resort is very well done and the rooms were very nice. We had a great time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JohnGuyD
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The Portofino was great. The location is convenient to the offsite activities and shops of Pensacola beach, but just far enough so there are no crowds on the beach or much traffic. Everyone on staff makes you feel like a guest and wants to make sure everything is perfect.
All of the rooms have spectacular views. Each building has its own pool and hot tub so you can stay away from a main pool and get some peace and quiet.

The on site restaurants are also really good reasonable priced. And make it so once you arrive everything is insure so you never have to drive if you don't want too. Looking to go back with our family for an extended trip. Very nice

4 Thank DandHDirkse
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

I lived at Portofino for 2.5 years. I was working in Pensacola and had a long term rental.

I found the condo to be pretty nice, and I ws fortunate enough to get a condo with a view of the gulf.

The amenities were nice, and it has very nice pools (8 pools in total, 1 at each tower, two main outdoor pools and an indoor pool).

It was a great place to live, but I think I would be disappointed if I vacationed there. I'm not really a fan of tourist traps, which is what this place seems like to me, especially during summer. As a resident, it becomes very obnoxious hearing kids yelling, having people pull the fire alarms, etc.

Tons of people stay here and it is very crowded. You do have to walk across the street to get to the beach, or you could take my route and drive down the road about a half a mile, pull off and go where no one else is.

I loved my condo unit and views, but the there are just too many people for me.

Stayed June 2011
5 Thank maxandheather
Baton Rouge
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Read this and learn! This wa summer 2010, the thing below doesnt go bk that far, I have been going to Perdido and Destin for over 30 years. I KNOW "the ropes", My radar was running hhot due to this condos pics and virtual tour avoided direct and fully disclosing shots of the balcony view. Here is my tale, LEARN... I was LIED to about the view, 3 bdrms do NOT face the gulf and beach, they face it sideways. icemaker was broken, AC didnt work for 2 days. We got stuck onthe elevator for over an hour, emergency phone on elevator was DISCONNECTED!!!. We had to scream for help for over an hour before anyone heard us. We were on the 19th floor, 3/2 suite. Was told our balcony was beachfront/ gulf front, I specifically said no obstructions on our bacony for viewing the beach, this is the main thing I go down to the beach for,(it's a major deal) AND asked them about the balcony view on 3 separate phone calls because I KNOW what a ripoff this can be. They think they have you once you're there... NOPE. The 3 bdrm units are looking DOWN the beach sideways. I told them I did NOT want a western exposure nor to be in a unit that was on the side of the bulding where any construction may be going on. I was assured repeatedly by the reservation clerk, it was NOT a western exposure (bet you can guess where this is going.) and they told me there was NO construction on our side of the building. Well, it was west facing and they were building a new high rise directly next to us.

By the time I got through with them,,, I got my money back and a voucher for free week the next year. I did not and will not ever go back there, The GM and head of maintenance laughed at us for our misadventures, and had the balls to tell us tje elevators NEVER breakdown. A neighbor in the condo next to us, LIVES there and says elevators break all the time.

Those who like this place must be noobs or have never stayed in a GREAT condo building that puts you on the beach, facing the beach and only a few feet to your chairs with all the expected amenities. RUN>>>>>>>>>

Room Tip: KNOW WHAT you want, get it in writing, preferably email. Be certain you are descrbiing what you want...