“Okay”

Hilton Pensacola Beach
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Room was well-appointed, but sounds of jackhammers still loom. I had a problem with the a/c, but it was attended to fairly quickly. Sushi Bar doesn't do room service, and I really craved it. You would think they could go out of their way to please a guest with a simple request. Guess not!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sighwest
Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed July 16, 2007

This hotel is a jewel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in the new wing. It is so beautiful. We had a full kitchen with stainless appliances...full size appliances by the way. The view was great. The room was so clean a comfortable! The hotel boasts a great pool area and easy access to the beach. A must eat restaraunt in Pensacola is MacGuires Irish Pub, a few miles away....awesome steak and home brewed root beer!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 17, 2007

On a whim, we decided to go the Pensacola Beach for the weekend (June 15-17th). I was uneasy about booking the Hilton Garden Inn after reading reviews on TA. We were pleasantly surprised. We booked the B&B rate which included a delicious full breakfast for two adults for an additional ~$12/night (kids under 6 eat free). The hotel had a great pool area, the beach was great (although the Hilton GI had no input to that). Rooms were pretty basic furnishings but were outfitted with a mini fridge and microwave. The staff was friendly (Russian exchange student program) and helpful. They had a 'kid' event each day (i.e. cookie decorating, face painting & Father's Day card making). I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2007

My wife and I arrived with our two young boys, age 5 and 4 for a spontaneous memorial day weekend trip. The hotel was okay, but definitely not the luxury that I expected for $269/night. When we checked in to our non-smoking room on our non-smoking floor, the smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming! I reported it to the front desk, but they obviously did not seem interested. It took a full day of constant cigarette smoke smell (so bad that I had to block the bottom of my door with a towel to breathe), for the front desk to finally do something about it.

The beach was perfect, the pool area and hot tub were nice, except for the people that could not seem to stop themselves from smoking while they were in the pool. Not a very family-friendly atmosphere.

And in the words of another couple there with their family, "I guess we missed the memo about this weekend". I understand that the hotels cannot control the visitors, but if there is an obvious gay theme to the weekend, and most of their patrons that weekend are gay or lesbian, why not warn people that are bringing kids? I have nothing against their lifestyle, but if given a choice, I choose not to get my young children around that atmosphere.

I will probably never stay in this hotel again. It is not worth the price.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank bobandjune
Reviewed April 8, 2007

After reading many of the reviews I felt comfortable booking this hotel but don't make the same mistake I did.
When I pulled in the hotel the parking lot and went to park the parking space had a huge hole in the space that would have ruined the front on my car had I not seen it in time. It only gets worse...
I went into the lobby which was a huge construction site. Totally gutted with holes in the floor wires coming out - none of which was marked. I pointed it out to one of the employees who just shrugged his shoulder. The lobby was covered with dust and dirt. You were pointed to go back out the front door into a side door and there you found a small window with a long line. I stood in line to find out that I had wrongly been booked in a room on the bay side not gulf side. I was told I could be upgraded but it would cost me another 50 bucks a night. So I decided to go take a look at the room and see if it was something I could live with.
On my way to the room I only was further disappointed by the construction mess. The hall to my room was littered with all kinds of construction debree. The mess is unbelievable - don't be fooled it is not a little mess. It's a disaster!
The room was very small and cramped and the construction noise unbelievable. I had no intention of spending my vacation in this room. I called the front desk and they said the same thing - they would upgrade me for a higher rate - otherwise they would not move me. I was basically stuck - or held ransome for another location. They wouldn't even move me floors even though they admitted there were other options.
So thinking the Hilton Customer Service Line would be helpful I called them. I actually got a very friendly lady who said she would place a call to the manager and get this straightened out. After being on hold 20 minutes she came back and said the manager wouldn't change his mind and since Hilton Hotels were independantly owned there wasn't anything she could do. I told her the Hilton name was on the hotel so I would suspect there was something they could do! I asked to speak to her supervisor for help and she advised me that it was after 5 and the supervisor was gone. She said they would call me the next am and I have never heard from them.

The hotel pool area is a total disaster. The hot tub doesn't work. They are building a tall addition to the hotel which is basically a high rise shell attached to the north with crains and all the construction noise you can imagine. The staff was very unfriendly and the manager a total jerk. Basically he had no interest in my concerns and I was surprised that the Hilton Customer Service was useless.
I checked out moved down to the Springhill Suites. The staff was friendly, the hotel in excellant shape and the rooms great. The 3 pools were so nice and enjoyable. There's a pool bar with more friendly staff. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. Coffee always fresh throughout the evening. The beach is nice and far enough from the noise at the Hilton.
Save yourself the trouble stay at the Springhill Suites and take a walk down the beach and pass by the Hilton... You will be thrilled you didn't stay there.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank familytravelerInd
Reviewed March 25, 2007

I booked this hotel as I wanted a relaxing vacation while visiting my daughter in Pensacola. I am an active person and was especially interested in the indoor pool. Well, the pool was impossible to swim in. So tiny I felt as if I was in a goldfish bowl. The fitness center was well below average. My husband loves starbucks coffee in the morning and good food, so another reason I booked this hotel was because I heard it had a great restaurant and a starbucks. I did not realize the hotel was under renovation. The restaurant had been moved to the lobby, completely devoid of ambience, and, of course, no starbucks. For a normally priced hotel I would not have felt so bad, but for $269 a night I was expecting a lot better. I think this amount was excessive in light of the fact that we were awoken every morning to the sound of drilling, the outdoor pool was half roped off, and the sight of construction everywhere was distasteful. I tried to cancel when I found out what the hotel was like, but the cancellation policy was 72 hours, so it would not have been plausible. Overall, not a good experience. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank runningbrit
Reviewed December 27, 2006

First off, please note I'm a Pensacola native and absolutely love this beach! We traveled to Pensacola to celebrate Christmas with relatives and booked the Hilton via their website. The website does NOT accurately portray the current state of the hotel. The pictures are outdated and do not reflect the major expansion construction going on which includes a major condominium being attached (via choice) to the hotel. To this end, we were awakened each morning at 6:30am by the jackhammers outside. Not very pleasant, considering we paid extra for a gulf front room and could not enjoy any time on our balcony due to the noise and construction workers. The large exterior pool was drained, as they are additionally extending the restaurant/lounge. The hotel staff attempted to shamefully blame the construction noise on post 2004 Hurricane Ivan construction knowing full well the current construction project was centered on adding an additional huge tower for RESIDENTIAL SALES next year (advertised in the hotel lobby)and had absolutely nothing to do with any hurricane damage. Neither the website nor the lobby had anything posted regarding the major construction and to be expected noise. Additionally, despite our mentioning that it might be both good business practice and professional courtesy to place a sign stating such no effort was made to help inform new guests upon check-in. The staff made no effort to offer changing our room or comp'ing our stay. The maid service was substandard with only bed making and clean bath towels provided. We were given neither fresh coffee, mugs, glassware or hand towels on several mornings. To top things off, the hotel did NOT HAVE HOT WATER on two of our seven night stays. This is in NO WAY the level of professional service we expect and have enjoyed from Hilton Hotels in other areas in the past. After spending a week there...yeah, we should have probably changed hotels, but with the holiday bustle...we errantly decided to suck it up....what a mistake. The front desk staff offered compensation at a mere $20 credit...that's based on an $800 bill. Are you kidding??? On the only bright side, the hotel lounge provides quality and friendly service and the restaurant has excellent food. However, due to the lack of professionalism, service and certainly little understanding on customer compensation for a definitely poor stay, especially during the holidays, we will not be able to stay or recommend this hotel in the future.

Stayed: December 2006